Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/is-it-true-that-intel-has-the-best-packaging-technology.16579/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Is it true that Intel has the best packaging technology?

VCT

Pat Gelsinger had said that so many times. Is it legit?

“With that, you may say, ‘I’m getting two of the chiplets from Intel, I’m getting one of the chiplets coming from a TSMC factory,” Gelsinger said. “Maybe the power supply components are coming from TI, maybe there’s an I/O component coming from GlobalFoundries.’ And, of course, Intel has the best packaging technology, so they would be the one assembling all those chiplets together into the marketplace, but maybe it’s another provider as well. We do see the mix and match. When I say the rack is becoming a system, the system is becoming an advanced chiplet based on a package, that’s exactly what we mean, how we see it evolving.”

Pat Gelsinger had said that so many times. Is it legit?

“With that, you may say, ‘I’m getting two of the chiplets from Intel, I’m getting one of the chiplets coming from a TSMC factory,” Gelsinger said. “Maybe the power supply components are coming from TI, maybe there’s an I/O component coming from GlobalFoundries.’ And, of course, Intel has the best packaging technology, so they would be the one assembling all those chiplets together into the marketplace, but maybe it’s another provider as well. We do see the mix and match. When I say the rack is becoming a system, the system is becoming an advanced chiplet based on a package, that’s exactly what we mean, how we see it evolving.”

Packaging is very dependent on the chip. High performance? Low power? Mobile? Automotive? Single die? Multi die? TSMC has the best range of packaging but Intel may in fact have the best for high performance. AMD might disagree though. We did an analysis last year and found that Intel and TSMC are on par for CPU/GPU. Chiplet based designs are still coming out so we will know more later. For mobile (Apple) TSMC is the leader. TSMC allocated more than 10% of CAPEX to packaging so they are investing big time. Great strategy for a foundry, it makes the TSMC processes more sticky.

They were the ones who emphasized the importance of advanced packaging first, but somehow their execution was kind of meh. EMIB was supposed to win against traditional MCM packaging which AMD Ryzen did(with extreme optimization though), we still don't see mainstream products with EMIB yet.
On the contrary, TSMC's InFo-LSI, which is somehow the answer to Intel EMIB(medium price, medium performance), is already in mass production with Apple M chips.

Back