Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/will-texas-be-site-of-11-billion-national-semiconductor-technology-center.17831/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Will Texas be site of $11 billion National Semiconductor Technology Center?

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz in a visit to Dallas renewed his call for Texas to be the site of an $11 billion center aimed at restoring the nation’s leadership in the advanced semiconductor manufacturing industry.

Tens of billions of dollars for new facilities to manufacture advanced semiconductors are being invested in Texas — mostly in North Texas and the Austin area.

Congress in August approved $53 billion for semiconductor manufacturing and research through CHIPS for America, an initiative aimed at supercharging the U.S. semiconductor industry and revitalizing the country’s innovation ecosystem. This funding includes $11 billion for research and development, the focal point of which will be the National Semiconductor Technology Center, an innovation hub planned to improve semiconductor technology and seed new industries built on the capabilities of a wide range of advanced chips.

Cruz (R-Texas), ranking member of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, said he is “hopeful” that the National Semiconductor Technology Center will be built in Texas.

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz at the AT&T headquarters in Dallas. Cruz said he is hopeful Texas will be the site of an $11 billion center aimed at restoring the nation’s leadership in the advanced semiconductor manufacturing industry.
U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz at the AT&T headquarters in Dallas. Cruz said he is hopeful Texas will be the site of an $11 billion center aimed at restoring the nation’s leadership in the advanced semiconductor manufacturing industry.

Cruz said he likes Texas’ chances of landing the massive semiconductor center if the decision by the U.S. Department of Commerce is based on the merits of the location, and not on politics.

“I think it is critically important that the tens of billions of dollars that the Biden administration is spending right now — money that Congress has already appropriated — be spent based on clear and objective criteria, on fair metrics, rather than on political patronage,” Cruz said in an exclusive interview with the Dallas Business Journal at telecom giant AT&T's headquarters in Dallas on Friday. “Those billions of dollars should not be spent based on who has a buddy of the Biden White House, but rather based on objective and fair standards. If the decisions are merit-based, I have great confidence that Texas will do very, very well.”

The center will be a public-private consortium that provides a platform where government, industry, suppliers, customers, educational institutions, entrepreneurs, workforce representatives and investors converge to address the semiconductor ecosystem’s most pressing challenges and opportunities.

“It's not complicated,” Cruz said. “The Biden White House is not terribly fond of the state of Texas. If it's simply a political decision, our chances are not nearly as good, but I'm hopeful. There is no economic engine on the planet like the state of Texas.”

Cruz said he will fight for the National Semiconductor Technology Center to be built in Texas, but he would not take a position on where in the Lone Star State it should be built.

“My responsibility and the way I approach it is I advocate for Texas and I let the individual regions make their relative arguments vis-à-vis the other regions,” he said. “I assiduously avoid picking sides between any region in Texas because you can't do your job representing the entire state if you're playing favorites. What I do instead is advocate for the state across the board and make the case that any of the regions would be better than an option outside of Texas.”

Equipment at the Texas Instruments chip fabrication site under construction in Sherman.
Equipment at the Texas Instruments chip fabrication site under construction in Sherman.

The center will develop a comprehensive semiconductor research and development program that will include research, prototyping capabilities, an investment fund and workforce development programs.

Advanced semiconductor manufacturing plays a large and growing role in the North Texas economy.

In May 2022, Dallas-based Texas Instruments (Nasdaq: TI) broke ground on the first fabrication plant in Sherman, 65 miles north of Dallas, in what's expected to be a $30 billion, four-factory semiconductor manufacturing campus. At full buildout, TI’s Sherman campus is expected to be the biggest electronics production facility in Texas and among the largest manufacturing facilities in the country. About 4,000 new jobs are set to be created with the TI expansion, generating billions of dollars to the Grayson County economy.

TI last year kicked off production in a similar wafer fab facility in Richardson.

Texas Instrument wafer fabs in Richardson​

Employees in RFAB2 in Richardson. Initial production has begun in Texas Instrument's third and largest 300-millimeter wafer fab.

Employees in RFAB2 in Richardson. Initial production has begun in Texas Instrument's third and largest 300-millimeter wafer fab.
Also in Sherman, GlobiTech, a subsidiary of Taiwan-based GlobalWafers Co., is building a $5 billion semiconductor manufacturing plant expected to bring 1,500 jobs.

In addition, South Korea's Samsung Electronics has a big presence in Central Texas and plans to expand with a $17 billion chip manufacturing plant north of Austin in Taylor, Texas, and potentially up to 11 semiconductor facilities in and around Austin.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott has pushed to bring federally funded semiconductor research and development to Texas through the creation in October 2021 of the National Semiconductor Centers Texas Task Force. The goal of the task force is to convince the U.S. Department of Commerce to select Texas as the site of the National Semiconductor Technology Center and another research center called the National Advanced Packaging Manufacturing Program.

Abbott and the state’s economic development community have been working to elevate Texas as a hub of semiconductor manufacturing activity to rival chip production in other countries.

Making advanced semiconductors in the U.S. is critical for national security in addition to being an economic issue, Cruz said in the interview with the Business Journal.

"Right now, we are enormously dependent on foreign development of advanced semiconductors, and in particular, we are enormously dependent upon Taiwan,” he said. “In today's foreign policy context, Taiwan is in significant jeopardy from Chinese aggression, and I can tell you when our military engages in war games of dangerous potential developments, there's no scenario more dangerous or more central to their planning right now than how to respond if China moves militarily on Taiwan.”

If China were to invade and take over Taiwan, as Chinese President Xi Jinping has stated he wants to do, “it would place the United States in an enormously vulnerable position because we are dependent upon Taiwanese chips for an enormous percentage of our electronics in our cell phones, in our automobiles, in our airplanes, in our missiles and defense equipment,” Cruz said.

“That vulnerability is profound, not just from an economic perspective, where it is massive, but also from a national security perspective,” he said. “We cannot responsibly allow the United States to be in that kind of jeopardy.”

I'm surprised there was no mention of Samsung's current/future fabs or AMAT's texas factory.

Also I am officially jealous of TI employees. They have pockets on the sides of their legs, so convenient.

Cruz still beating the drum for Texas to be all in on bitcoin mining?

Surprised he still get airtime after getting destroyed/humiliated by Trump

"If China were to invade and take over Taiwan, as Chinese President Xi Jinping has stated he wants to do, “it would place the United States in an enormously vulnerable position because we are dependent upon Taiwanese chips for an enormous percentage of our electronics in our cell phones, in our automobiles, in our airplanes, in our missiles and defense equipment,” Cruz said."

Xi never stated that he wanted to invade and take over Taiwan. Ted Cruz is an idiot. How do these people get elected? Ted Cruz has no idea what is in our military electronics. He needs to shut the front door.

"If China were to invade and take over Taiwan, as Chinese President Xi Jinping has stated he wants to do, “it would place the United States in an enormously vulnerable position because we are dependent upon Taiwanese chips for an enormous percentage of our electronics in our cell phones, in our automobiles, in our airplanes, in our missiles and defense equipment,” Cruz said."

Xi never stated that he wanted to invade and take over Taiwan....

Xi actually said that CCP had "right" to use force on "Taiwan issue" and he said that on multiple occasions.

Actually, even naval blockade plus few strategically positioned SAMs would be devastating for TSMC and for Taiwanese people in general.
Ted Cruz has no idea what is in our military electronics.

And it is not only about chips directly inside rockets/weapons/vehicles. There is much more silicon inside support systems which uses mainly x86 where man suppliers are AMD (totally dependent on TSMC) and Intel (dependence in platform support chips).

So I guess Ted might have actually better idea than we do although probably thanks to confidentiality reasons...
Ted Cruz is an idiot. How do these people get elected? ... He needs to shut the front door.
Be careful questioning officials You did not vote for. You might get Yourself to the list of FBI most wanted criminals, Thanks to Dark Brandon and new practices he introduced...

From Teds outpourings he dont seem to be well informed on anything.
Maybe thats just his social.media team though.

Xi never stated that he wanted to invade and take over Taiwan. Ted Cruz is an idiot. How do these people get elected? Ted Cruz has no idea what is in our military electronics. He needs to shut the front door.
You expect politicians to be truthful? I suspect he is not an idiot but says what he thinks caters to his voters' fears, and whether it is the truth does not matter as much as whether it is persuasive and somewhat plausible.

but rather based on objective and fair standards. If the decisions are merit-based, I have great confidence that Texas will do very, very well.”
Well, that's probably the only thing I agree with Ted Cruz on. If there is a semiconductor technology center, it should be located among existing manufacturing ecosystems, of which there are several, including Dallas or Austin. (And Arizona and Oregon and New York, and presumably California. I don't know enough about what's left in Silicon Valley to comment on that.)

Xi actually said that CCP had "right" to use force on "Taiwan issue" and he said that on multiple occasions.

The Ted Cruz quote said:

"If China were to invade and take over Taiwan, as Chinese President Xi Jinping has stated he WANTS to do“

I can assure you Xi does not WANT to invade Taiwan because it would be the end of his political career and possibly his life if he fails. In my opinion Xi wants an orderly non violent transition of Taiwan into the CCP. Ted Cruz is war mongering to build his rabid fan base.

If you want to play the link game Google "Ted Cruz is an idiot" and you will get plenty of links to articles saying just that. I'm expressing my opinion based on my lifetime experience as an American citizen, no links necessary.

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz in a visit to Dallas renewed his call for Texas to be the site of an $11 billion center aimed at restoring the nation’s leadership in the advanced semiconductor manufacturing industry.

Tens of billions of dollars for new facilities to manufacture advanced semiconductors are being invested in Texas — mostly in North Texas and the Austin area.

Congress in August approved $53 billion for semiconductor manufacturing and research through CHIPS for America, an initiative aimed at supercharging the U.S. semiconductor industry and revitalizing the country’s innovation ecosystem. This funding includes $11 billion for research and development, the focal point of which will be the National Semiconductor Technology Center, an innovation hub planned to improve semiconductor technology and seed new industries built on the capabilities of a wide range of advanced chips.

Cruz (R-Texas), ranking member of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, said he is “hopeful” that the National Semiconductor Technology Center will be built in Texas.

Cruz said he likes Texas’ chances of landing the massive semiconductor center if the decision by the U.S. Department of Commerce is based on the merits of the location, and not on politics.

“I think it is critically important that the tens of billions of dollars that the Biden administration is spending right now — money that Congress has already appropriated — be spent based on clear and objective criteria, on fair metrics, rather than on political patronage,” Cruz said in an exclusive interview with the Dallas Business Journal at telecom giant AT&T's headquarters in Dallas on Friday. “Those billions of dollars should not be spent based on who has a buddy of the Biden White House, but rather based on objective and fair standards. If the decisions are merit-based, I have great confidence that Texas will do very, very well.”

The center will be a public-private consortium that provides a platform where government, industry, suppliers, customers, educational institutions, entrepreneurs, workforce representatives and investors converge to address the semiconductor ecosystem’s most pressing challenges and opportunities.

“It's not complicated,” Cruz said. “The Biden White House is not terribly fond of the state of Texas. If it's simply a political decision, our chances are not nearly as good, but I'm hopeful. There is no economic engine on the planet like the state of Texas.”

Cruz said he will fight for the National Semiconductor Technology Center to be built in Texas, but he would not take a position on where in the Lone Star State it should be built.

“My responsibility and the way I approach it is I advocate for Texas and I let the individual regions make their relative arguments vis-à-vis the other regions,” he said. “I assiduously avoid picking sides between any region in Texas because you can't do your job representing the entire state if you're playing favorites. What I do instead is advocate for the state across the board and make the case that any of the regions would be better than an option outside of Texas.”

The center will develop a comprehensive semiconductor research and development program that will include research, prototyping capabilities, an investment fund and workforce development programs.

Advanced semiconductor manufacturing plays a large and growing role in the North Texas economy.

In May 2022, Dallas-based Texas Instruments (Nasdaq: TI) broke ground on the first fabrication plant in Sherman, 65 miles north of Dallas, in what's expected to be a $30 billion, four-factory semiconductor manufacturing campus. At full buildout, TI’s Sherman campus is expected to be the biggest electronics production facility in Texas and among the largest manufacturing facilities in the country. About 4,000 new jobs are set to be created with the TI expansion, generating billions of dollars to the Grayson County economy.

TI last year kicked off production in a similar wafer fab facility in Richardson.

Texas Instrument wafer fabs in Richardson​

Employees in RFAB2 in Richardson. Initial production has begun in Texas Instrument's third and largest 300-millimeter wafer fab.'s third and largest 300-millimeter wafer fab.

Also in Sherman, GlobiTech, a subsidiary of Taiwan-based GlobalWafers Co., is building a $5 billion semiconductor manufacturing plant expected to bring 1,500 jobs.

In addition, South Korea's Samsung Electronics has a big presence in Central Texas and plans to expand with a $17 billion chip manufacturing plant north of Austin in Taylor, Texas, and potentially up to 11 semiconductor facilities in and around Austin.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott has pushed to bring federally funded semiconductor research and development to Texas through the creation in October 2021 of the National Semiconductor Centers Texas Task Force. The goal of the task force is to convince the U.S. Department of Commerce to select Texas as the site of the National Semiconductor Technology Center and another research center called the National Advanced Packaging Manufacturing Program.

Abbott and the state’s economic development community have been working to elevate Texas as a hub of semiconductor manufacturing activity to rival chip production in other countries.

Making advanced semiconductors in the U.S. is critical for national security in addition to being an economic issue, Cruz said in the interview with the Business Journal.

"Right now, we are enormously dependent on foreign development of advanced semiconductors, and in particular, we are enormously dependent upon Taiwan,” he said. “In today's foreign policy context, Taiwan is in significant jeopardy from Chinese aggression, and I can tell you when our military engages in war games of dangerous potential developments, there's no scenario more dangerous or more central to their planning right now than how to respond if China moves militarily on Taiwan.”

If China were to invade and take over Taiwan, as Chinese President Xi Jinping has stated he wants to do, “it would place the United States in an enormously vulnerable position because we are dependent upon Taiwanese chips for an enormous percentage of our electronics in our cell phones, in our automobiles, in our airplanes, in our missiles and defense equipment,” Cruz said.

“That vulnerability is profound, not just from an economic perspective, where it is massive, but also from a national security perspective,” he said. “We cannot responsibly allow the United States to be in that kind of jeopardy.”

"Cruz said he likes Texas’ chances of landing the massive semiconductor center if the decision by the U.S. Department of Commerce is based on the merits of the location, and not on politics."

“I think it is critically important that the tens of billions of dollars that the Biden administration is spending right now — money that Congress has already appropriated — be spent based on clear and objective criteria, on fair metrics, rather than on political patronage,”

It's Ted Cruz's responsibility to promote Texas because he is a Senator from the State of Texas. But to say Texas is the only and the best location for a national semiconductor research center and to call selecting other sites outside of Texas is playing politics is, by itself, playing politics.

Easily I can identify three locations/areas that are equally good or better than Texas, such as:

1. Northeast area: There are IBM Semiconductor Research, Naval Research Laboratory, NIST, ADI, Wolfspeed, Globalfoundries, Micron, MIT, Cornell University, Harvard, Brown University, Northeastern University, SUNY, CUNY, New York University, Columbia University, Princeton, Yale, Tufts, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, University of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania State University, University of Pittsburgh, Johns Hopkins, Carnegie Mellon University, etc.

2. Midwest area: There are Intel, OSU, Case Western Reserve, Airforce Research Laboratory, Argonne National Laboratory, University of Michigan, Michigan State University, Prude University, Prude/TSMC Research Center, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, University of Notre Dame, University of Illinois, Northwestern University, University of Chicago, University of Wisconsin, Washington University in St. Louis, Iowa State University, etc.

3. The West Coast area: From Washington, Oregon, to California, there are too many top semiconductor players, research laboratories, and great engineering schools to mention...

Inside of these three areas they have short travel distance, strong industrial base, and diverse research capabilities (not just in semiconductor). On the other hand, there are limited capabilities for those states around Texas. Ted Cruz's Texas only or Texas first idea will be easily overrun by the regional approach. Furthermore the regional approach will be easier to get "bipartisan" and multi-state support than the Texas only selection. At the end of day, Ted Cruz and John Cornyn have only two votes guaranteed in the Senate.

Last edited:
While it tickles me how in love with state capitalism Ted Cruz has suddenly become, now that he stands to benefit from it, it is rare for a conservative senator to essentially agree with a liberal President on a policy that could be broadly helpful for the US semiconductor industry.

"National Semiconductor Technology Center".

I hope Charlie Sporck's charging for using his company name there ... or perhaps it's TI now.

But why not name it after someone from Charlie's generation ?

I've disliked this Technology Center thing from the first day I read about it. The feds tend to like familiar structures, so I'm projecting that the NSTC will look a lot like the National Institutes of Health (NIH). ("Institutes" is not a typo. There are many separate institutes in the NIH.) I've always considered the NIH an ineffective use of government funds. To put this into perspective, the Biden administration is proposing an FY24 budget of $51.1B for the NIH. For a little more perspective, the combined 2022 R&D budgets for Pfizer and Eli Lilly, two of the biggest US-based pharma companies, was about $21B.

The NIH creates patents for its discoveries, just like private companies, and then licenses them to the pharma industry to promote the development of new drugs and treatments. I found the royalties the NIH receives from licensing to be difficult to determine with any accuracy through internet searches, but it appears to be in the range of about $200M/yr. perhaps somewhat less. This is an incredibly poor ratio of licensing revenue to research spending. As a comparison, IBM's royalty revenue was well over $600M in 2020, and was $1.7B in 2016. IBM's R&D spending in 2022 was $6.57B.

So, who can license NIH patents? Here's the official NIH technology transfer web page:

The answer appears to be that anyone from anywhere can apply, but...
After reviewing the license application, the NIH determines if the applicant's proposal is consistent with the licensing strategy developed for the invention and whether the grant of the license would benefit the public and be consistent with the interests of the Federal government.
Which means the administration in office at the time of the application submission can determine if an application will be accepted. It can also be translated into an assumption China need not waste paper or electrons to apply.

I'd rate the probability high that the NSTC uses a similar structure and language for patent licensing once it's formed.

Last edited:
Back