Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/will-amd-become-serious-competition-to-nvidia.19259/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Will AMD become serious competition to Nvidia?

Arthur Hanson

Will the AI race be ruled by Nvidia or will AMD become a serious competitor? Any thoughts or observations on this would be appreciated? Will cuda give Nvidia a moat to large for AMD to overcome?

I think AMDs underspend in graphics for the last 10 years means they're a long ways away from catching Nvidia. Even worse they'd realistically need to surpass Nvidia by a decent margin to really take mind share, further limiting sales.

AMD is a serious competitor as there isn't enough hardware around to be provided by Nvidia and MI300X looks like a competitor to the H200 which release in Q2 of 2024. The real question comes down to availability and software support which Nvidia do have an advantage over AMD.

I think AMD is a serious competitor today, I know Intel thinks so. At first AMD had the NOT Intel market but now they have taken more market share based on technology. This happened after the TSMC partnership when TSMC silicon hit the streets.

I don't think AMD will catch Nvidia because it is all about the GPU ecosystem and Nvidia has that locked up. Much like TSMC and the foundry ecosystem.

But still, you have to be impressed with what they have accomplished under Lisa Su, absolutely.

I just read that Lisa Su and Jensen Huang are distant relatives. https://www.cta.tech/Resources/Articles/2020/Masters-of-Leadership-Dr-Lisa-Su Excerpt below:

Gary Shapiro:

I agree with that. You're also a competitor in a pretty interesting field where almost half the world production is from U.S. Companies like yours, but one of your competitors is Nvidia and I have to ask about this because there's conflicting stories on the web. First of all, tell us about the partnership you have, but also Jensen was also born in Taiwan. There's stories on the web that he's a relative to your grandfather's cousin. Is he a relative and what's the deal there? Sorry to ask it, I have to.

Dr. Lisa Su:

Let me answer the first question first and I'll come back to the second one if I remember, how's that Gary? Look-

Dr. Lisa Su:

I think Nvidia's a great company. I mean, there's no question from the technology capability that they have demonstrated over the last decade has led the industry to some of the key areas in AI and so on and so forth. I am actually proud of the fact that in their most recent AI system they have chosen AMD, and I've been asked, "Well why do you think they chose AMD?" I think they chose AMD because we have the best product in the marketplace today, and so I feel really good about that.

Dr. Lisa Su:

It is a competitive world so there's no question that we compete hard, but it's also a world where you also have to partner with your competitors from time to time. Our CPUs work with Nvidia GPUs, in PCs, in data centers and in a whole host of applications. That doesn't mean we're not going to compete hard in gaming. We'll continue to do that. Since you're a friend, Gary, and since you asked me and I try to answer questions, we are distant relatives.

Gary Shapiro:

Okay.

Dr. Lisa Su:

Distant relatives, so some complex second cousin type of thing.

Competing agains NVidia on AI now is like competing with Xilinx in the past for FPGA. So much is tied in the software that either you are fully compatible or you do not get market share for your hardware. So you are always at a disadvantage.

It's hard to understand why AMD claims to be the fastest, yet with a no show at MLPerf. Nvidia delivered best performance with strong ecosystem and software support, while Intel delivered best performance to price. What's AMD's advantage to be exact? Yes, the hardware is amazing, but the software has to be there as well as mindshare.

Also, will AMD be able to keep its second spot when sharing same supplier of the chip, TSMC. I believe Nvidia and AMD are both really important to TSMC, so they likely going to get same quote for the wafer and packaging. This means AMD cannot win from supply side, and it's a question to ask if the management will be conservative or not. Because if AMD management is conservative, they are not going to be able to steal that much of market share away from Nvidia. Intel was the other way around; it has given AMD too much time to get big. Nvidia have had tons of confidence. Their chips are in high demand with huge profit margin. These all gives chances to Intel.

Back