Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/tsmc-february-2023-revenue-report.17582/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

TSMC February 2023 Revenue Report

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
TSMC February 2023 Revenue Report HSINCHU, Taiwan, R.O.C. – Mar. 10, 2023 - TSMC (TWSE: 2330, NYSE: TSM) today announced its net revenue for February 2023: On a consolidated basis, revenue for February 2023 was approximately NT$163.17 billion, a decrease of 18.4 percent from January 2023 and an increase of 11.1 percent from February 2022. Revenue for January through February 2023 totaled NT$363.23 billion, an increase of 13.8 percent compared to the same period in 2022.

TSMC February Revenue Report (Consolidated):
TSMC Revenue February 2023.jpg

TSMC Spokesperson:
Wendell Huang
Vice President and CFO
Tel: 886-3-505-5901

Media Contacts:
Nina Kao
Head of Public Relations
Tel: 886-3-563-6688 ext.7125036
Mobile: 886-988-239-163
E-Mail: nina_kao@tsmc.com

Ulric Kelly
Public Relations
Tel: 886-3-563-6688 ext. 7126541
Mobile: 886-978-111-503
E-Mail: ukelly@tsmc.com

The double digit streak continues! Amazing! Will Q2 start the negative downfall?

Global semiconductor industry billed $41.3B in January 2023, down 5.2% compared to December 2022 total of $43.6B and down 18.5% Y/Y according to Semiconductor Industry Association (SIA).

Region-wise M/M sales: Americas -7.9%, Europe +0.6%, and Japan -2.1%, Asia Pacific/All Other -2.7% and China -8%.
Region-wise Y/Y sales: Europe +0.9%, Japan +0.7%, Americas -12.4%, Asia Pacific/All Other -19.5%, and China -31.6%.

The double digit streak continues! Amazing! Will Q2 start the negative downfall?

Global semiconductor industry billed $41.3B in January 2023, down 5.2% compared to December 2022 total of $43.6B and down 18.5% Y/Y according to Semiconductor Industry Association (SIA).

Region-wise M/M sales: Americas -7.9%, Europe +0.6%, and Japan -2.1%, Asia Pacific/All Other -2.7% and China -8%.
Region-wise Y/Y sales: Europe +0.9%, Japan +0.7%, Americas -12.4%, Asia Pacific/All Other -19.5%, and China -31.6%.
One positive yty is NVIDIA using TSMC for their "4" series GPU line. Any idea how big an impact that is?

One positive yty is NVIDIA using TSMC for their "4" series GPU line. Any idea how big an impact that is?

I don't know specifics but I do know that Samsung's base customers Nvidia and Qualcomm left for TSMC at N4 and N3 so expect bigger wafer numbers in 2023-2025. Intel is also using N4 and N3. TSMC will have some very good times once this recession narrative stops.

I was expecting single digit growth. TSMC’s ability to outperform in really unparalleled.
Again, the rumor is TSMC got some urgent/unanticipated AI related orders in Q4 2022. By looking at the fierce competition in the AI applications between Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook, etc., it does make sense.

Again, the rumor is TSMC got some urgent/unanticipated AI related orders in Q4 2022. By looking at the fierce competition in the AI applications between Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook, etc., it does make sense.
TSMC will be bigger than big tech at some point in the future IMO. The TAM for compute is effectively infinite if you project out into the far flung future. How on earth is growth ever going to grind to a complete halt. Slower grow certainly just by the law of large numbers, but above market growth, almost certainly. I saw a recent rumour that google is doing some design work with TSMC now. All the top dogs are directly or indirectly using TSMC and everyday TSMC pulls further ahead financially into a more insurmountable position. Again. We see extreme outperformance in comparison to its peers i.e Intels guidance comes in as expected. Even if Intel takes process leadership will it matter? How big will that lead be? Will it be worth switching out of the TSMC ecosystem? Can Intel even afford to compete with process leadership considering the sting of historically bad quarters it has put up. Personally I can't wait to hear more about TSMC 2NM and N3E at the NA symposium. If anyone has heard anything through the grapevine if all ears.

hhttps://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4809642

TSMC will be bigger than big tech at some point in the future IMO. The TAM for compute is effectively infinite if you project out into the far flung future. How on earth is growth ever going to grind to a complete halt. Slower grow certainly just by the law of large numbers, but above market growth, almost certainly. I saw a recent rumour that google is doing some design work with TSMC now. All the top dogs are directly or indirectly using TSMC and everyday TSMC pulls further ahead financially into a more insurmountable position. Again. We see extreme outperformance in comparison to its peers i.e Intels guidance comes in as expected. Even if Intel takes process leadership will it matter? How big will that lead be? Will it be worth switching out of the TSMC ecosystem? Can Intel even afford to compete with process leadership considering the sting of historically bad quarters it has put up. Personally I can't wait to hear more about TSMC 2NM and N3E at the NA symposium. If anyone has heard anything through the grapevine if all ears.

This semiconductor market is big enough to benefit many companies and to allow them to coexist. And it will get even bigger. But to begin with a company's business model is the most important factor.

Intel has historically put up very good quarters, making money hand over fist, despite a lot of mistakes. Recently that's changed, but I don't think history is necessarily a good guide anyway.

Intel still has a lot of assets, obviously. They have the fastest single-threaded performance (overall) processor, and that's not easy. They also have the highest clocked (of course the two are related).

But, I think the big change is x86 doesn't matter nearly as much as it has. For desktop and mobile microcomputers, yes, it's still king. But, servers? Well, it was, but if you look at the market, Cloud obviously is growing. Before, people were loathe to switch from Intel x86 servers because it wasn't easy, and it wasn't "safe". But, if you're using a cloud provider like Amazon, well, they give you the safety, and they do most of the work. And they are making ARM processors now as well. And by all indications, that's going to continue to grow.

But, obviously Intel realizes their model doesn't work with costs going up so much, and a relatively finite amount of mobile/desktop market. The server market can go up, and so can phones, IoT, etc..., but those markets are all vulnerable, or Intel has a limited footprint in them.

Having said that, Intel knows how to design processors, and can do things TSMC can't, like use their IP to customize parts without requiring as much design time/expense. On top of that, no one wants TSMC to be unassailable (except for TSMC), and companies will look for opportunities with competitors. If they really are competitive. Certainly NVIDIA's remarks about how expensive 5nm wafers are gives us a good idea that they aren't completely happy with TSMC. They have also mentioned they would like to use Intel's fabs if it makes sense. But, it has to make sense.

So, I think if Intel does gain process leadership (which is ambiguous, because it may be better at one metric, and worse at others, so which is more salient is not universal), they will have customers. If they can use their design IP as building blocks that meaningfully lower design costs for potential customers, that could also be an important consideration.

It's just too soon to, isn't it? Would you have guessed 10 years ago that Intel would be where they are now? Didn't they seem to have a highly advantageous lead over everyone else? I'm relieved that Intel finally realizes they can't go it alone, and need outside customers to remain relevant.

But, I4 looks pretty good, and by all indications their trailing nodes are on time, or ahead.

Intel has historically put up very good quarters, making money hand over fist, despite a lot of mistakes. Recently that's changed, but I don't think history is necessarily a good guide anyway.

Intel still has a lot of assets, obviously. They have the fastest single-threaded performance (overall) processor, and that's not easy. They also have the highest clocked (of course the two are related).

But, I think the big change is x86 doesn't matter nearly as much as it has. For desktop and mobile microcomputers, yes, it's still king. But, servers? Well, it was, but if you look at the market, Cloud obviously is growing. Before, people were loathe to switch from Intel x86 servers because it wasn't easy, and it wasn't "safe". But, if you're using a cloud provider like Amazon, well, they give you the safety, and they do most of the work. And they are making ARM processors now as well. And by all indications, that's going to continue to grow.

But, obviously Intel realizes their model doesn't work with costs going up so much, and a relatively finite amount of mobile/desktop market. The server market can go up, and so can phones, IoT, etc..., but those markets are all vulnerable, or Intel has a limited footprint in them.

Having said that, Intel knows how to design processors, and can do things TSMC can't, like use their IP to customize parts without requiring as much design time/expense. On top of that, no one wants TSMC to be unassailable (except for TSMC), and companies will look for opportunities with competitors. If they really are competitive. Certainly NVIDIA's remarks about how expensive 5nm wafers are gives us a good idea that they aren't completely happy with TSMC. They have also mentioned they would like to use Intel's fabs if it makes sense. But, it has to make sense.

So, I think if Intel does gain process leadership (which is ambiguous, because it may be better at one metric, and worse at others, so which is more salient is not universal), they will have customers. If they can use their design IP as building blocks that meaningfully lower design costs for potential customers, that could also be an important consideration.

It's just too soon to, isn't it? Would you have guessed 10 years ago that Intel would be where they are now? Didn't they seem to have a highly advantageous lead over everyone else? I'm relieved that Intel finally realizes they can't go it alone, and need outside customers to remain relevant.

But, I4 looks pretty good, and by all indications their trailing nodes are on time, or ahead.

"Having said that, Intel knows how to design processors, and can do things TSMC can't, like use their IP to customize parts without requiring as much design time/expense. On top of that, no one wants TSMC to be unassailable (except for TSMC), and companies will look for opportunities with competitors. If they really are competitive. Certainly NVIDIA's remarks about how expensive 5nm wafers are gives us a good idea that they aren't completely happy with TSMC. They have also mentioned they would like to use Intel's fabs if it makes sense. But, it has to make sense."

Intel is not competing against only on TSMC's IPs. Intel is competing against IPs from TSMC+OIP Partners+ (AMD, Nvidia, Apple, MediaTek, Qualcomm, Broadcom, Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Ampere Computing, Sony, Fujitsu, or Tesla).

I don't really know how IDM portion of Intel can really compete against such alliance and ecosystem.

TSMC February 2023 Revenue Report HSINCHU, Taiwan, R.O.C. – Mar. 10, 2023 - TSMC (TWSE: 2330, NYSE: TSM) today announced its net revenue for February 2023: On a consolidated basis, revenue for February 2023 was approximately NT$163.17 billion, a decrease of 18.4 percent from January 2023 and an increase of 11.1 percent from February 2022. Revenue for January through February 2023 totaled NT$363.23 billion, an increase of 13.8 percent compared to the same period in 2022.

TSMC February Revenue Report (Consolidated):
View attachment 1076
TSMC Spokesperson:
Wendell Huang
Vice President and CFO
Tel: 886-3-505-5901

Media Contacts:
Nina Kao
Head of Public Relations
Tel: 886-3-563-6688 ext.7125036
Mobile: 886-988-239-163
E-Mail: nina_kao@tsmc.com

Ulric Kelly
Public Relations
Tel: 886-3-563-6688 ext. 7126541
Mobile: 886-978-111-503
E-Mail: ukelly@tsmc.com

If March revenue can stay at the same level as the January 2023, TSMC should be able to reach NT$563.276 billion revenue for the Q1 2023. It represents a decrease of 10% from Q4 2022 and 14.7% Year over Year over Q1 2022, all in New Taiwan Dollar term.

TSMC announced in the January 2023 conference call that they expected to have a 14.2% revenue decrease from Q4 2022 for Q1 2023, in US dollar term.

It looks like TSMC Q1 2023 business is better than the original guidance.

Everyone is reporting about the economic downturn in the semiconductor field and lots of companies are already reporting grim numbers. In a sense, I believe that this makes a wonderful opportunity for TSMC compared to all other fabs. For fabless or fab-lite companies, in a difficult economic environment, taking risks or making the wrong (or poor performance) choices is really bad as you can't expect that like the COVID era you will sell out everything you have and that the market has enough room even for (otherwise uncompetitive) products. In that context, choosing IFS, GF or Samsung over TSMC seems the most risky choice for all kinds of reasons (can you trust IFS that it is just starting? can you use Samsung that maybe has the inferior process? can you tape out with GF in a older node and stay competitive? is GF's older nodes as good as TSMC's? ). So as long as we dont see a dramatic change on the horizon, like Samsung coming out with a formidable node or IFS executing fast and flawlessly and overdeliver what is promised, TSMC will continue to see bright days ahead.

Everyone is reporting about the economic downturn in the semiconductor field and lots of companies are already reporting grim numbers. In a sense, I believe that this makes a wonderful opportunity for TSMC compared to all other fabs. For fabless or fab-lite companies, in a difficult economic environment, taking risks or making the wrong (or poor performance) choices is really bad as you can't expect that like the COVID era you will sell out everything you have and that the market has enough room even for (otherwise uncompetitive) products. In that context, choosing IFS, GF or Samsung over TSMC seems the most risky choice for all kinds of reasons (can you trust IFS that it is just starting? can you use Samsung that maybe has the inferior process? can you tape out with GF in a older node and stay competitive? is GF's older nodes as good as TSMC's? ). So as long as we dont see a dramatic change on the horizon, like Samsung coming out with a formidable node or IFS executing fast and flawlessly and overdeliver what is promised, TSMC will continue to see bright days ahead.

That's priced into the stock, and it's already the current situation. TSMC will almost certainly lose some market share, not because they aren't good, but because It's already so high it's difficult to maintain. Especially with Intel coming.

IFS is kind of new, at least in terms of Intel taking it seriously, but Intel is not new, by any stretch, at developing and using nodes. It's doubtful TSMC ever has had a node that matched Intel's in performance, even with all the problems Intel has had. Of course, that's a combination of architecture and process, but it would be safe to say AMD also has a strong interest in getting their processors working at high clock speeds, but they have not reached them with Ryzen (Bulldozer line hit them, but they weren't made at TSMC).

Even now, nothing made at TSMC really approaches I7 in clock speed. Look at all the overclocking records, is a Ryzen even mentioned? So, in the most important metric for Intel, they have always been king, so it's unwise to underestimate them.

But, the rest of the world isn't speed for the sake of speed, outside of IBM and AMD. So, I understand why people have doubts. I do too. I4 won't help, it's another performance node, so we'll have to wait until I3 comes out to see if they can really do it. And then comes the complexity of working with customers as a fab, which they now have some experience with, but hardly on the level of Samsung or TSMC. But, the Tower acquisition should help (if/when it goes through), and their recent experience is at least something. They also mentioned that they have 7 of the top 10 fabless companies in their camp now, and I'm sure as they develop products with them, they are learning a lot about what they know and don't know.

I don't know what the future holds, but I just think we need to let it play out before we condemn them to failure. The bar is a lot lower for them than TSMC too. Intel doesn't need to get 50% of the market to be judged successful. If they get 20%, I'd say a lot of people are going to view that as a success, because they make money in ways TSMC can't.

Personally, I like their chances, because I think they finally got a tech guy as a leader who is willing to make the right decisions, even if they hurt the company short term. Their prior two CEOs, particularly Krzanich, were far from visionaries. Plus, I loved the 486, so already have a soft spot for Gelsinger :p .

Who knows? I just think assumptions right now are too soon. Let's wait and see. I'm pretty sure we'll have a lot more clarity as this year finishes up, and even more going forward. Intel still has assets no other company has. Samsung? Yeah, kind of agree, but then again, how many times do companies surprise us? In reality, it wouldn't really be that much of a surprise, would it, if they came out with a very competitive node?

That's priced into the stock, and it's already the current situation. TSMC will almost certainly lose some market share, not because they aren't good, but because It's already so high it's difficult to maintain. Especially with Intel coming.

IFS is kind of new, at least in terms of Intel taking it seriously, but Intel is not new, by any stretch, at developing and using nodes. It's doubtful TSMC ever has had a node that matched Intel's in performance, even with all the problems Intel has had. Of course, that's a combination of architecture and process, but it would be safe to say AMD also has a strong interest in getting their processors working at high clock speeds, but they have not reached them with Ryzen (Bulldozer line hit them, but they weren't made at TSMC).

Even now, nothing made at TSMC really approaches I7 in clock speed. Look at all the overclocking records, is a Ryzen even mentioned? So, in the most important metric for Intel, they have always been king, so it's unwise to underestimate them.

But, the rest of the world isn't speed for the sake of speed, outside of IBM and AMD. So, I understand why people have doubts. I do too. I4 won't help, it's another performance node, so we'll have to wait until I3 comes out to see if they can really do it. And then comes the complexity of working with customers as a fab, which they now have some experience with, but hardly on the level of Samsung or TSMC. But, the Tower acquisition should help (if/when it goes through), and their recent experience is at least something. They also mentioned that they have 7 of the top 10 fabless companies in their camp now, and I'm sure as they develop products with them, they are learning a lot about what they know and don't know.

I don't know what the future holds, but I just think we need to let it play out before we condemn them to failure. The bar is a lot lower for them than TSMC too. Intel doesn't need to get 50% of the market to be judged successful. If they get 20%, I'd say a lot of people are going to view that as a success, because they make money in ways TSMC can't.

Personally, I like their chances, because I think they finally got a tech guy as a leader who is willing to make the right decisions, even if they hurt the company short term. Their prior two CEOs, particularly Krzanich, were far from visionaries. Plus, I loved the 486, so already have a soft spot for Gelsinger :p .

Who knows? I just think assumptions right now are too soon. Let's wait and see. I'm pretty sure we'll have a lot more clarity as this year finishes up, and even more going forward. Intel still has assets no other company has. Samsung? Yeah, kind of agree, but then again, how many times do companies surprise us? In reality, it wouldn't really be that much of a surprise, would it, if they came out with a very competitive node?

‘Personally I think IFS will take Samsung Foundry market share more so than TSMC.

‘Personally I think IFS will take Samsung Foundry market share more so than TSMC.
Intel currently has a higher P/E than TSMC which is just absurd beyond all reason. If anything Intel is still priced like a comeback is a foregone conclusion as the expense of TSMC which is nonsensical.

That's priced into the stock, and it's already the current situation. TSMC will almost certainly lose some market share, not because they aren't good, but because It's already so high it's difficult to maintain.
That is how things work for incumbents. Back when intel's margins were in the mid 60s their stock stayed more or less flat. Why? Because they didn't really have much room to grow from 99% marketshare. Same deal with TSMC. The foundry pie may grow, but it is hard to imagine TSMC's share of it growing much from where it is. The only way I can see their share boom is if the trailing edge demand stays flat while HPC explodes. However I don't feel like we will see one grow while the other stays flat.

This isn't really the case anymore. Take the 7600X vs the 13500 and the 7700X vs the 13600K. The 7600x has a base clock of 4.7GHz and a single core turbo of 5.3GHz, while the 13500 clocks at 2.5GHz and 4.8GHz respectively. Both CPUs use a similar amount of power 226 vs 231W during independent system power testing with all cores blasting. The 7700X clocks at 4.5GHz and 5.4GHz, while the 13600K clocks at 3.9GHz and 5.1GHz. The parts use 256 and 266W respectively. Admittedly the intel parts do have more cores to feed, but I think it illustrates my point that N5P does have better performance than intel 7. Although the fact that the intel 7 parts come so close while having similar power consumption is in my opinion a massive accomplishment for a "7nm" class node.

And then comes the complexity of working with customers as a fab, which they now have some experience with, but hardly on the level of Samsung or TSMC. But, the Tower acquisition should help (if/when it goes through), and their recent experience is at least something. They also mentioned that they have 7 of the top 10 fabless companies in their camp now, and I'm sure as they develop products with them, they are learning a lot about what they know and don't know.
Agreed. Alot must be learned, and without a doubt IFS customers will be excellent teachers.

Intel doesn't need to get 50% of the market to be judged successful. If they get 20%, I'd say a lot of people are going to view that as a success, because they make money in ways TSMC can't.
Agreed for now anyways foundry is a side business that will generate extra scale, drive more efficient operations, and help amortize the fixed costs of building fabs/developing new nodes. With this in mind any marketshare is a win for intel. Getting to 20% would achieve this goals and bring in lots of scratch for the mothership.

Who knows? I just think assumptions right now are too soon. Let's wait and see. I'm pretty sure we'll have a lot more clarity as this year finishes up, and even more going forward.
For sure.

I think yes and no on this one. Intel being one of the big three will for sure sap some of Samsung's "not TSMC business". Will they be able to snatch Samsung's dirt cheap business though? My guess is intel doesn't have the scale to have costs that low, or the willingness to sell wafers at or below cost like Samsung can when it is nessicary. For this reason it is hard for me to imagine that intel will take more than 30-50% of Samsung's marketshare. Assuming there is enough of the basic IP at IFS and intel achieves their goal of "unquestioned performance per watt leadership", then would this not attract some HPC customers to intel away from TSMC? I have to think that some systems and or HPC customers would have no problem using an IDM foundry given many don't compete with intel. If the intel node gives them the best product, then why wouldn't some of these kinds of customers jump ship from TSMC to IFS if we assume the IP situation and PDKs/DRs are reasonable?

Finally doesn't the current customer list indicate intel is stealing a bit of share from everybody? The MediaTek deal probably steals some share form 14LPC, but it seems like it mostly would have taken from 16FFC given MediaTek is closer to TSMC than Samsung. If we roll with your statement that Qualcomm is onboard for 18A, then wouldn't that be stealing share from TSMC and Samsung? After all the exclusive use of Samsung on the leading edge has failed and they are on N5 family for the time being. They unsurprisingly said they are evaluating 3GAP, but am I wrong to assume that they would not go back to 100% Samsung for the leading edge on this seemingly troubled node family? If we take this information as true, wouldn't any 18A deal be at the expense of 3GAP, 2GAP, and N2? Finally there is the mysterious intel 3 client. I assume that any cloud/edge company considering a "3nm" class node would predominantly be from TSMC, no?

Long story short I do agree Samsung would be the biggest loser if intel succeeded, although this would probably be felt on their newest nodes and less so on the on 7LPP and older. GF could lose out on a good amount of potential 22FDX, 12FDX, and 12LPP customers to i16. Finally TSMC could lose some HPC and maybe a bit of mobile, but given TSMC's size and best in class design ecosystem it will probably not be a significant blow (maybe a couple of percentage points at EOD).

Intel currently has a higher P/E than TSMC which is just absurd beyond all reason. If anything Intel is still priced like a comeback is a foregone conclusion as the expense of TSMC which is nonsensical.
P/E isn't particularly meaningful because it can change so dramatically from Q to Q. Of course Intel has a much better chance to improve their P/E than TSMC, for the simple reason their business is more volatile, and they are spending enormous amounts of money. Because of the volatility of P/E, P/S is more meaningful in most cases. Intel's is 1.7, TSMC's is 6.26. TSMC is currently worth around 4x what Intel is.

That is how things work for incumbents. Back when intel's margins were in the mid 60s their stock stayed more or less flat. Why? Because they didn't really have much room to grow from 99% marketshare. Same deal with TSMC. The foundry pie may grow, but it is hard to imagine TSMC's share of it growing much from where it is. The only way I can see their share boom is if the trailing edge demand stays flat while HPC explodes. However I don't feel like we will see one grow while the other stays flat.

This isn't really the case anymore. Take the 7600X vs the 13500 and the 7700X vs the 13600K. The 7600x has a base clock of 4.7GHz and a single core turbo of 5.3GHz, while the 13500 clocks at 2.5GHz and 4.8GHz respectively. Both CPUs use a similar amount of power 226 vs 231W during independent system power testing with all cores blasting. The 7700X clocks at 4.5GHz and 5.4GHz, while the 13600K clocks at 3.9GHz and 5.1GHz. The parts use 256 and 266W respectively. Admittedly the intel parts do have more cores to feed, but I think it illustrates my point that N5P does have better performance than intel 7. Although the fact that the intel 7 parts come so close while having similar power consumption is in my opinion a massive accomplishment for a "7nm" class node.
I am not talking about performance per watt, so normalizing on power use doesn't disprove Intel has better absolute performance. I agree, performance per watt is generally very much in favor of TSMC's 5nm node.

Also, clock speeds for lower binned parts are related a lot to market segmentation on Intel's parts. I'm guessing if you were to overclock them, you'd get very different results. In fact, it's well established Intel's parts overclock better, by a good amount.

Pure performance is not. Show me an AMD chip that runs stock at 6 GHz. There aren't any, but that might be by AMD's choice. Except that none of the chips they are reaching record clock speed with are from AMD either, they are all Intel, and they are Raptor Lakes. So, clearly, regardless of how much power you give the AMD chip, it's not even in the same ballpark as Intel's. You could say it's architecture, but there difference is so stark when you look at how well they overclock with crazy cooling and power, it seems unlikely this is all it is.

But, I do agree, performance per watt is clearly in TSMC's corner, and it has been. But, Intel processes have always had the highest clocked processors, irrespective of power use.

Last edited:
You could easily be right, but I think a lot depends on how good Intel is. If they have leading edge nodes that trade virtues with TSMC's, it stands to reason that those customers using TSMC for leading edge technology will now have another supplier. For example, since NVIDIA is using TSMC now, if Intel offers a node that is well suited for their GPUs, TSMC necessarily feel that impact.

If Intel is trailing, then companies needing or wanting the very best will likely continue to use TSMC, and Intel will tend to take more share from Samsung.

But, one other point is, and this is somewhat related, Intel uses TSMC, not Samsung. I have to believe if they make a node more suitable for GPUs, and by all indications this is their intention, they'd love to move their own parts from TSMC and build them in-house.

Even so, I think you're right. I just can see how TSMC can also impacted in a substantial way.

A little off-topic, but how do you see Intel's relationship with IBM? Obviously, IBM likes performance at all costs (literally) even more than Intel, considering their product lines. Is that going to be a significant asset to Intel, considering IBM's help in developing nodes?

Also, how much of an impact to do you think Intel being a competitor in certain markets will be? Clearly they are making GPUs and CPUs and competing in the server market pretty aggressively, and presumably they will also want to make competing products at their fabs as well. Will companies likely just look at the best fab for their product, or will they shy away if they are competing in markets where Intel is present?

Back