Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/tsmc%E2%80%99s-kumamoto-factory-will-open-in-february-next-year.19300/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

TSMC’s Kumamoto factory will open in February next year

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
TSMC’s Kumamoto factory was the first to arrive. The key is that the Japanese government has given TSMC a high degree of cooperation and sincerity in rewards, from decision-making to providing relevant subsidies.  (Reuters)

TSMC’s Kumamoto factory was the first to arrive. The key is that the Japanese government has given TSMC a high degree of cooperation and sincerity in rewards, from decision-making to providing relevant subsidies. (Reuters)

2023-12-10 23:17United Daily News /Reporter Jian Yongxiang/Reporting from Taipei

After TSMC resolved the labor dispute at its Arizona plant in the United States, Japan's Kumamoto plant will be the first to start trial production and has made significant progress. Sources close to Japanese government officials revealed that TSMC will hold a grand opening ceremony for its new fab in Kumamoto, Japan, in late February, 2024.

TSMC CEO C.C. Wei will attend the ceremony, and is expected to announce plans for further expansion in Japan, including a 2nd fab. Production at the Kumamoto fab, a 12-inch fab with 16nm process technology will begin in the 2nd quarter, 2024.

TSMC started construction Japanese fab around April 2022 long after breaking ground at its Arizona fab in June 2021.

Yet, TSMC Arizona fab production start date has been pushed from 2024 to 2025 while TSMC Japan fab will start production in 2024.

Yet, Arizona HVAC and sheet metal union workers insist that they KNEW how to build an advanced fab because they have done that before. And they insist that they deserve to do majority of the work if not all the work that needs such skills (and TSMC needs to train them).

Yet, without Congress approving an exception for a lengthy Federal environmental review, the TSMC Arizona fab can be delayed further into 2025.

Semiconductor industry is a capital intensive business and labor cost is not a big part of total production cost. But with such miserable situations and noncompetitive efficiency TSMC has experienced in Arizona, I don't know how to put something positive on it.

TSMC started construction Japanese fab around April 2022 long after breaking ground at its Arizona fab in June 2021.

Yet, TSMC Arizona fab production start date has been pushed from 2024 to 2025 while TSMC Japan fab will start production in 2024.

Yet, Arizona HVAC and sheet metal union workers insist that they KNEW how to build an advanced fab because they have done that before. And they insist that they deserve to do majority of the work if not all the work that needs such skills (and TSMC needs to train them).

Yet, without Congress approving an exception for a lengthy Federal environmental review, the TSMC Arizona fab can be delayed further into 2025.

Semiconductor industry is a capital intensive business and labor cost is not a big part of total production cost. But with such miserable situations and noncompetitive efficiency TSMC has experienced in Arizona, I don't know how to put something positive on it.

I think we all saw this coming. Different cultures different results. Let's see how Germany does but my guess is that TSMC and Japan are a great fit and natural ally.

How does Intel’s progress (and problems) in AZ, and to a lesser extent OH, compare?

Having worked in both union and nonunion companies (holding California electrical, general and communications contractor's licenses), I firmly learned it's connections first and skill level second. Even reformers in the union were blocked and the best candidates for moving forward were repeatedly blocked. It was sad to see mediocrity rule in most, but not all cases. Even within the hierarchy, I saw the best people with a vision of the future blocked. It seems not a lot has changed.

Back