Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/russia-plans-to-master-the-production-of-28-nm-chips-by-2027.18970/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Russia plans to master the production of 28 nm chips by 2027

tonyget

Russia plans to master the production of 28 nm chips by 2027

The Ministry of Industry and Trade expects that Russia will master mass production of microprocessors according to 28 nm topological standards on 300 mm silicon wafers by 2027. This follows from the “road map” for the development of the industry, which was presented by Deputy Head of the Ministry of Industry and Trade Vasily Shpak.

It follows from the document that Russian semiconductor enterprises are now capable of producing microelectronics according to topological standards of 130 nm, and in 2026 - 65 nm. By 2030, the authorities hope that Russian semiconductor enterprises will master the production of microelectronics based on the topological standard of 14 nm.

“Here it is - our road map, when our technologies should appear not only from the point of development, but also from the point of serial production. We set the goal to achieve full-fledged mass production. These plans, how far they will come true, largely depends on our efforts,” said Mr. Shpak.
The 28 nm process technology was mastered by the largest manufacturers back in 2009–2010. These are, for example, the first generation Intel Core i3 processors. Currently, the most modern semiconductor manufacturers, such as TSMC, are working with a 2 nm process technology.
In turn, the largest and most modern of the existing Russian semiconductor manufacturers, the Mikron company, today produces microelectronics using the 90 nm process technology.

According to a number of Kommersant sources in the semiconductor market, the NM-Tech plant, launched on the basis of the bankrupt Angstrem-T, now has more modern technologies. But Kommersant could not find publicly known data about the capabilities of this enterprise in open sources.

732ec3fa51040ced52d0c649a36b43f1.jpg

I toured Russian fabs quite a few years back as part of a Silicon Valley investment junket. I spent the most time in the 130nm fab as it was their crowning achievement at the time. Nothing came of it due to the questionable origins of the technology.

65nm I can believe but 28nm is a difficult task and I see no way for them to get to FinFETs.

The slide in the background is all highlighting Russian made machines. The best litho machine is at 130nm, other machines are for things like resist processing, plasma etching, clustered wafer handling, metrology ... some of those claim relevance down to 65nm.

So the intent seems to be a home grown system but they have a lot of work to do.

Back