Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/ot-touring-taiwan-as-a-semi-enthusiast-recommendations.18998/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

OT - Touring Taiwan as a Semi-enthusiast - Recommendations?

Xebec

Hi there,

I do not directly work in the semiconductor industry, but have been a lifelong enthusiast of all things semi. When I visited Sunnyvale CA, (and even some areas of Eastern Pennsylvania), I enjoyed seeing where the old buildings were for things like - Atari HQ, The original MOS chip plant in Norristown, PA, etc. just to imagine what was there and get a feel for what it was like to live/work there. (Go ahead and laugh :) ).

If I were visiting Taiwan as a (USA) tourist - both semi and non-semi, what are some of the best things to do / see with an interest in both culture and engineering for the country. (Also I would like to see items related to Taiwan’s cultural history overall and learn..).

Respectfully.

Hi there,

I do not directly work in the semiconductor industry, but have been a lifelong enthusiast of all things semi. When I visited Sunnyvale CA, (and even some areas of Eastern Pennsylvania), I enjoyed seeing where the old buildings were for things like - Atari HQ, The original MOS chip plant in Norristown, PA, etc. just to imagine what was there and get a feel for what it was like to live/work there. (Go ahead and laugh :) ).

If I were visiting Taiwan as a (USA) tourist - both semi and non-semi, what are some of the best things to do / see with an interest in both culture and engineering for the country. (Also I would like to see items related to Taiwan’s cultural history overall and learn..).

Respectfully.

There is a museum under TSMC Fab 12 in Hsinchu that is interesting. Plus all of the fabs In Hsinchu. You can see where it all began.

There is a museum under TSMC Fab 12 in Hsinchu that is interesting. Plus all of the fabs In Hsinchu. You can see where it all began.
That is TSMC Museum of Innovation. Note: You need to make a reservation before you visit.

You can take a taxi to tour Hsinchu Science Park. Taxi drivers are all super familiar with tsmc's fabs that they can take you to any fab without checking Google maps. May check tsmc's Innovation Center (F12P8) with the nick name "Taiwanese Bell's Lab" which was just established this year. (You cannot enter the building unless you are vendors with invitations.)

There's a historical place: 小欣欣豆漿店, Little HsinHsin Soy Milk Shop at No. 40, Nanyang St. Taipie City. Though the shop is no longer existed, instead, there's Merica building for English classes at the location https://maps.app.goo.gl/to7saT4udg4tdkg76 7 important people ate their breakfast, fried bread stick and soy milk at the shop in 1974, including Minister of Economic Affairs, Minister of Transportation and Communications, Head of ITRI. In the breakfast meeting, they made a decision to choose semiconductor as the future development direction for Taiwan. Hence the meeting is referred as the beginning of the Taiwan semiconductor industry.

For food, besides famous Din Tai Fung, if you want some excellent Taiwanese food/Chinese food, try Golden Formosa http://www.goldenformosa.com.tw/files/13-1250-21636.php or Tien Hsiang Lo https://mtaipei.landishotelsresorts.com/dining-detail.php?id=1 . Both are Michelle 1 star restaurants.

For fun, well, Taipei 101, Longshan Temple, Jiufen, The National Palace Museum, nightmarkets. If you have many days to spend, visiting eastern Taiwan to see natural scenes, like Taroko National Park would be a good choice.

Hi there,

Respectfully.

How many days do you plan to travel around in Taiwan and what language skills do you have?

Back