Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/intel-to-invest-%E2%80%98unprecedented%E2%80%99-25-billion-in-chip-manufacturing-plant-in-israel.18176/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Intel to invest ‘unprecedented’ $25 billion in chip manufacturing plant in Israel

hist78

"US semiconductor giant Intel Corp. has inked an agreement in principle with the Israeli government to build a chip manufacturing plant in Kiryat Gat at an investment of $25 billion."

"The announcement was made after an agreement in principle was reached between Intel and the Finance Ministry on the investment plans. As part of the agreement, Intel will pay a 7.5% tax rate, up from the 5% the chipmaker pays the state today, the Finance Ministry said in a statement. In addition, it was agreed that Intel would get a government grant at a rate of 12.8% of the investment amount under the Encouragement of Capital Investment Law (ECIL)."

Intel on another cycle of spending spree. Arizona, New Mexico, Ohio, Germany, Ireland, Israel. That's a lot of fabs coming online 2024 - 2027.

Intel on another cycle of spending spree. Arizona, New Mexico, Ohio, Germany, Ireland, Israel. That's a lot of fabs coming online 2024 - 2027.

Add that to the rest of the foundries and IDMs CAPEX press releases and we will see a chip glut like no other, my opinion. I was guessing that only half of what has been announced would actually get spent but it looks like I may be wrong.

Either Intel management are fools, or they’re seeing demand for both their chips and those of potential foundry customers exploding by 2025-2027…

Going to be incredible to witness one way or the other. For the industry’s sake l hope it’s the latter.

And they are all focusing on leading edge semiconductor manufacturing. Is it a gamble or a response to customers' demands? Can ASML produce enough EUV machines for them?

Either Intel management are fools, or they’re seeing demand for both their chips and those of potential foundry customers exploding by 2025-2027…

Going to be incredible to witness one way or the other. For the industry’s sake l hope it’s the latter.
I do wonder how much is demand-based, and how much is Intel trying to use fab building to be viewed as an indispensable company by several countries.

I do wonder how much is demand-based, and how much is Intel trying to use fab building to be viewed as an indispensable company by several countries.

It could also be considered wishful thinking by Intel. TSMC builds fabs based on customer demand so it is a very different situation but even TSMC got it wrong this year. Last I heard TSMC was at 70% utilization which is probably fine for Intel internal products but not so much for a foundry.

Back