Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/intel-may-be-ready-to-launch-a-new-monster-cpu.19381/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Intel may be ready to launch a new monster CPU

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
Intel's 14900K CPU socketed in a motherboard.

Jacob Roach / Digital Trends

Intel may be getting ready to add to its lineup of the best processors, and this time around, we’re talking about a real monster of a CPU. A new leaked image of the rumored Core i9-14900KS tells us that its launch may not be that far away, and according to reports, the chip is said to be able to reach 6.2GHz right out of the box. But one question remains: Is this image even real?

The photo was posted by HXL (9550pro) earlier today. HXL is a well-known leaker when it comes to CPUs, but even the poster is not sure if the image is fake or not. Even if it is real, they’re uncertain whether Intel will launch this CPU. While the image looks real enough, there are some slight inconsistencies in the lettering on the heat sink between the Core i9-14900KS and the Core i9-13900KS.

However, even if the letters (especially the KS) don’t look exactly the same between the two chips, it doesn’t necessarily mean that the image has been tampered with. Everything else looks real enough, and we’ve heard rumors about the existence of the Core i9-14900KS as early as November of last year. Besides, Intel has been releasing these enthusiast-grade CPUs for a couple of generations now, including the Core i9-12900KS and its Raptor Lake equivalent. It makes perfect sense for Intel to follow up the Core i9-14900K with a KS model for those with deeper pockets who want the top Intel CPU available in this generation.

Seeing as we’re not even sure whether the Core i9-14900KS is real or not, it’s no wonder that its specifications remain unconfirmed. However, rumor has it that we’re looking at the same core count as the Core i9-14900K, with a total of 24 cores (8 performance cores and 16 efficiency cores) and 32 threads. We’re expecting an increase in the boost clock speed, though, to a whopping 6.2GHz. It’s also possible that Intel may increase the TDP to 150 watts, which is 25 watts higher than any of the other chips in the Raptor Lake refresh.

How much will this CPU cost, if it does come to market? Anywhere between $600 and $750 seems like a safe bet. The Core i9-14900K launched at $590 and can be found just under the recommended list price these days. It’s possible that Intel will announce the Core i9-14900KS at CES 2024, so stay tuned, as we’ll be reporting on all the new releases.

CPU names with "KS" in the end is just the "K" version with better quality so the max frequency can be ~200MHz higher. It's not a big breakthrough.

This is an interesting CPU if true. It will extend 14900K’s (very small) lead over 7950X for applications, but at higher power draw. I don’t think it’ll be enough to close the gap with 7800X3D for the gaming crown.

That said, a shipping CPU over 6 GHz (+ high IPC) is definitely an impressive engineering achievement.

The KS’s have traditionally been pretty good for enthusiasts as they also usually have a highly binned DRAM controller for those seeking very high memory speeds.

The TDP of 150W is pretty hilarious considering the 14900K has no problem reaching 280W in applications.

Back