Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/infographic-semiconductors-top-7-in-q2-2023.18843/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Infographic: Semiconductors Top 7 in Q2 2023

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
Intel maintained #1 place in Q2 2023 amid memory market slow down, which dragged down major memory players performance such as Samsung, SK Hynix and Micron. In addition, Nvidia took over the second place from Samsung due to the revenue booming on its data center business supported by strong AI server demand. Nvidia expects to see another wave of revenue growth in the upcoming quarter which could make its revenue expand again. Qualcomm’s revenue was capped by looming handset revenue and thus ranked #4 in the quarter. Broadcom and AMD’s revenues were relative resilient amid demand uncertainty.
Counterpoint Semiconductor Top 7 Q2 2023

Use the button below to download the high resolution PDF of the infographic:Download button

Infographic: Global Smartphone AP Share in Q2 2023​

Global Smartphone AP Market Share by Shipments​

MediaTek dominated the smartphone SoC market with a share of 30% in Q2 2023. MediaTek’s shipments slightly increased in Q2 2023 as the inventory levels came down and the competition is growing in the entry level 5G. New smartphone launches in the low and mid-end segments have increased the shipments in Dimensity 6000, Dimensity 7000 series. Qualcomm captured a 29% share in the quarter. Qualcomm shipments increased by 14.5% sequentially in Q2 2023 due to the high shipment for flagship chipset Snapdragon 8 Gen 2. Also, Key design wins for the Snapdragon 600 and 400 series have also contributed to the growth of Qualcomm’s shipment in Q2 2023.

Global Smartphone AP Market Share by Revenue​

Qualcomm dominated the AP market in Q2 2023 with a 40% revenue share. This growth is coming from the premium segment due to the adoption of snapdragon 8 gen 2 in Samsung flagship smartphones and Chinese OEMs. The launch of the Samsung Flip and Fold series has also contributed to this growth. Apple had a 33% share in the AP SoC market in Q2 2023 in terms of revenue. Apple’s share declined by 24% QoQ due to seasonality. The iPhone Pro series is doing better. MediaTek captured the third position with a share of 16% in the total global smartphone AP/SoC revenues. MediaTek revenue remained flat in Q2 2023 due to the weak demand and slow China market.
Global-Smartphone-AP-Market-Share-Q2-2023-scaled.jpg

Use the button below to download the high resolution PDF of the infographic:

Infographic: Foundry Revenue Share in Q2 2023​

Foundry Companies’ Share by Revenue​

TSMC maintained its leadership in the foundry market with a stable 59% market share in Q2 2023. In contrast, Samsung Foundry’s market share dipped by nearly 1% to 11%, primarily due to ongoing smartphone inventory adjustments and the loss of smartphone AP SoC orders from a US client. On the other hand, UMC saw an increase in market share, driven by the continued strength of DDICs and automotive applications in Q2 2023.

Foundry Industry Share by Technology Node

In Q2 2023, the 5/4nm segment continued to dominate the market, holding a significant 21% market share. This strength was driven by robust demand, particularly in the field of AI, with key customers like Nvidia and Broadcom fueling this momentum. In contrast, the 7/6nm segment experienced weakness due to a slower-than-expected recovery in the smartphone market. On the other hand, the 28/22nm segment remained robust, as demand for primary applications, including DDIC and automotive-related applications, remained strong throughout Q2 2023.
Foundry companies share Q2 2023

Use the button below to download the high resolution PDF of the infographic:

TSMC will be 60%+ market share with N3 by 2025?

TSMC OIP is on Wednesday. We have 2 bloggers including myself covering the event live so stay tuned.

Any industry with 60%+ of revenue taken by a single company is not a healthy industry (see Intel: 2010-2020, etc, etc…)

Any industry with 60%+ of revenue taken by a single company is not a healthy industry (see Intel: 2010-2020, etc, etc…)

I agree completely. Hopefully Intel can get some of the leading edge business with 18A. Samsung is hopeless. The memory business is unbalanced as well. Maybe Japan can get back into the game? Maybe Micron can get some Chips Act money so the US can make the memory we use?

great information, thanks! I wonder whether we will see chips act money anytime soon. and who will get the money?
I think it depends on how far the US government back-tracks in the myriad of restrictions in their implementation of the Act, like limitations on stock buybacks, profit-sharing with the government, and foreign investment restrictions. My feeling is that the Dept of Commerce will back off on some restrictions, but not all, and I'm hard-pressed to see how Intel and Samsung can live with any of them. I also think the best-case scenario for funds distribution is mid-2024.

great information, thanks! I wonder whether we will see chips act money anytime soon. and who will get the money?

My guess would be before the next presidential election otherwise it could be used against Biden. Since this is a political issue, I would assume that as many companies will benefit as possible to appease the voter base. Given this line of thinking, Intel and the other top US employers would be at the beginning of the handout list. I have zero experience here but this is my political genius at work.

My guess would be before the next presidential election otherwise it could be used against Biden. Since this is a political issue, I would assume that as many companies will benefit as possible to appease the voter base. Given this line of thinking, Intel and the other top US employers would be at the beginning of the handout list. I have zero experience here but this is my political genius at work.

It's hard to make all of them happy with so many companies applied the CHIPS Act grants.

Last edited:
It's hard to make all of them happy with so many companies applied the CHIPS Act grants.
It wouldnt be that hard (and it isnt that hard in other countries). the issue is that they signed the act and then started discussions on what the rules might be. and now they are changing after the applications have come in. IF they ever award money, then they will have to argue on social media the reasoning. It doesnt have to be that messy.

Politicians on social media will make everyone believe they got more than their fair share of CHIPs Act money. I really hate election years. The entire country's IQ drops.

Politicians on social media will make everyone believe they got more than their fair share of CHIPs Act money. I really hate election years. The entire country's IQ drops.

The problem is that nowadays the campaign is never ending and the campaign starts on the day one of the term. I don't know if the system has to be like this way but I do know it's not a healthy situation.

Back