[ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

How are devices prototyped?

Tanj

Where would an inventor go to get a device structure fabricated in experimental quantity? At 40, 28, or 20 nm (the device functionality at small geometry is something to be proven)?

I would assume that this would be using something like an electron beam fab, and I found some of that on line but they don't seem to do much except etching, so when it comes to getting help with creating some oxides, polysi, a few interface devices next to the sample, that kind of thing requires a house with some chip fabrication capabilities. Are such facilities around and do they offer services to customers outside their own org?

Are you in US, asia or Europe ? In EU there are programmes running to get access to advanced tech. If interested I can give you some contacts. Regards John

Are you wanting a device with different semiconductors, dopants and/or dielectrics from standard, or to make a non-standard structure in an existing process?

If the former, you need to work with/through a research group that do this sort of thing (e.g. IMEC in Europe). If the latter you can use standard MPW runs for the purpose.

Where would an inventor go to get a device structure fabricated in experimental quantity? At 40, 28, or 20 nm (the device functionality at small geometry is something to be proven)?

I would assume that this would be using something like an electron beam fab, and I found some of that on line but they don't seem to do much except etching, so when it comes to getting help with creating some oxides, polysi, a few interface devices next to the sample, that kind of thing requires a house with some chip fabrication capabilities. Are such facilities around and do they offer services to customers outside their own org?

Have you tried FPGA's? If your design is too large for one FPGA you can use a prototyping board:

https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/content/section/4303-s2c.html

(everything you wanted to know about FPGA Prototyping)

Thanks John, George, Daniel. No I am not in Europe. The device may be relatively standard, it is a kind of NAND cell along with some test circuits to establish its performance with a different approach to layout than other NANDs but much the same chemistry. FPGA is irrelevant, it is a particular device.

Hi Tanj

You can use the Europractice IC service or MOSIS to do this. Check out their websites.

Hi Tanj

You can use the Europractice IC service or MOSIS to do this. Check out their websites.

Yes, MOSIS can help with MPW's. If you have a University connection that can help too. You may also consider partnering with an ASIC company such as Open-Silicon. If it is truly ground breaking technology or a big customer backing you can talk to the foundries directly. TSMC has a very active IP group.

Back