Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/gf-new-foundry-in-singapore-officially-open.18755/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

GF New Foundry in Singapore Officially Open

So rather than expanding their 14nm (FinFET with double patterning) capacity in upstate NY, they choose to expand outside the US on slower and leaky process.

Can any of you guys expand on this?

Is the Singapore government subsidizing this?

Is the gf14 yield lousy?

The mask costs of 14/28 was $5M/$3M and the wafer cost uses the same ration according to semiwiki posting a year ago. Is this the reason?

Another question... Why can a 28nm facility get announced today to be operational in Singapore in 2025-2026, but India can't get one built by 2029?

So rather than expanding their 14nm (FinFET with double patterning) capacity in upstate NY, they choose to expand outside the US on slower and leaky process.

Is the gf14 yield lousy?

The mask costs of 14/28 was $5M/$3M and the wafer cost uses the same ration according to semiwiki posting a year ago. Is this the reason?
Yes SG Gov putting in a couple of Billion.

"One of GlobalFoundries' biggest clients is Qualcomm , which said on Monday it had signed a deal with Apple to supply 5G chips until at least 2026, which will benefit GlobalFoundries."

It is my understanding that QCOM is using TSMC for the 5G chips to be used by Apple. Maybe there is a misunderstanding here.

Given fabs are underutilized today hopefully all of these new CMOS fabs that are coming online will have customers? There is a lot of 28/22nm fab space opening up as the trailing edge people move to FinFETs. Not to mention the new TSMC fabs in Japan and Germany. I understand that there is a lot of government money behind these fabs but they must have customers.

TSMC opening up their CMOS design rules really was a disruptive move back in the day (1 micron) but I'm not sure the recent TSMC 28/22nm process versions are still GDS compatible with the offerings from GF. Does anybody know this by experience?

"One of GlobalFoundries' biggest clients is Qualcomm , which said on Monday it had signed a deal with Apple to supply 5G chips until at least 2026, which will benefit GlobalFoundries."

It is my understanding that QCOM is using TSMC for the 5G chips to be used by Apple. Maybe there is a misunderstanding here.

Given fabs are underutilized today hopefully all of these new CMOS fabs that are coming online will have customers? There is a lot of 28/22nm fab space opening up as the trailing edge people move to FinFETs. Not to mention the new TSMC fabs in Japan and Germany. I understand that there is a lot of government money behind these fabs but they must have customers.

TSMC opening up their CMOS design rules really was a disruptive move back in the day (1 micron) but I'm not sure the recent TSMC 28/22nm process versions are still GDS compatible with the offerings from GF. Does anybody know this by experience?
100% agree on the underload and Qualcomm/TSMC.... there is no semi shortage for Logic or memory. Since we are in a downturn, if these are just plans for growth then they can ramp them when needed and it will be a good thing. The bigger issue IMO is localization/nationalization. If we need a fab and we build one in the US, one in Europe, One in Japan, one in Singapore ... and we refuse to sell to China (who will build there own fabs/equipment) .... We could end up with a permanent oversupply and inefficiency. Just an opinion

UMCi new FAB extension here in Singapore is opening 2024 and is said to be of 22nm/28nm capability.

Would seem that a lot of capacity at that level is coming online

It seems feasible that there could be a quick turnaround time foundry at 65-28nm. What is the fastest an MPW can get through a 28nm mask => packaging, assuming the MPW service is willing to pay a premium?

Is the gf14 yield lousy?

The same cynics who plundered IBM for Wall St. are now plundering GF for an Emirati sovereign wealth fund.

So they are looking for US taxpayer funding, then expand outside the US. Nice!

They are looking for tax payers money whereever they can get it!!

The Govt here put in $2Bn at least and to get 1000 new jobs!!

My opinion woulda been better for the economy to give 2000 folk $1M each

They are looking for tax payers money whereever they can get it!!

The Govt here put in $2Bn at least and to get 1000 new jobs!!

My opinion woulda been better for the economy to give 2000 folk $1M each

Or give 2000 startups $1 million each.

Or give 1000 startups $2 million each.

Doing so may create more jobs and deliver more positive impacts on economy.

How about stop spending somebody else's money. How about less government. Where do you think this $$$ comes from? You want the governments to keep printing money. Do you think their investments pay off?

How about stop spending somebody else's money. How about less government. Where do you think this $$$ comes from? You want the governments to keep printing money. Do you think their investments pay off?

I am not anti-Govt as such , but there has to be a lot more accountability on how money is spent.
Companies come with begging bowl , should be told invest your own money.
If its too expensive , let the market decide and the costs will come down according to the theory.
The role of Govt should be to create the best environment for business to succeed , not just dole out cash!

The key difference with TSMC 28nm is gate-last. It is different than what Samsung, UMC and GF offer, which is gate-first. Not GDS compatible.

Why is GF investing in Singapore: Their 300mm fab is full and old, built in the early 2000s, with equipment you can’t get parts for any more. Malta has newer tools, they will match Malta and thus have a second global source for 28nm with matching characteristics, which is useful for customers from a supply assurance standpoint. I would suspect the old GF 300mm fab will ramp down as Singapore-300#2 ramps up, so it doesn’t increase global supply, but does improve the supply chain with better supply assurance; Singapore +1.

Interesting that semiconductor industry has entered a new phase where “new old capacity” replaces old capacity strictly because of wear-out and tooling obsolescence.

The key difference with TSMC 28nm is gate-last. It is different than what Samsung, UMC and GF offer, which is gate-first. Not GDS compatible.

I do not believe that is true anymore. At first they did but from what I remember they all have gate-last versions that are GDS compatible with TSMC. The industry standard is gate last. Intel 28 is gate-last as well.

So customers are worried about Malta, NY? Singapore is more stable than New York? OK. I see your point. I glad I moved out of there.

Malta is upper NY. I have toured the fabs there, very nice area. NYC is a whole different story. Right now in SF and Oakland, due to the violence, people are back working from home. COVID is also hitting us again. I spent some time in Singapore as well. Loved it!

I'm from NY. I was being sarcastic. I don't understand expansion of a US foundry going to Asia. Why not expand in Malta? They are doing this for the $2B. This should then prohibit US tax dollars from going to GF IMO. This seems like an anti-chips-act to me.

Back