[ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Gelsinger to unseat TSM?

Good god Pat LOVES running his mouth.

The problem is that TSMC has a CEO that does not put up with BS from competitors. Pat's rhetoric fuels TSMC's innovation. We now have a three horse foundry race in the media. In regards to the semiconductor professionals who actually choose the fab/pdk not so much.

The feedback I have gotten recently is the the N2 PDK is matching the test chip silicon perfectly. The models and simulations are dead on and no press release can change that.

CC Wei is the speak softly and carry a big stick type of person and he has a VERY big stick and when challenged he will use it, absolutely. Next year CC Wei will be CEO and Chairman. Mark my word, big things are coming....

Wish it wasn't behind a paywall...

Intel CEO Says Company Will Beat TSMC and the U.S. Will Stay Ahead of China in AI Race. Here’s Why.

By Tae Kim

Dec 20, 2023, 7:00 am EST

This article is from the free weekly Barron’s Tech email newsletter. Sign up here to get it delivered directly to your inbox.

Chip Showdown. Hi everyone. Intel’s future depends on regaining technology leadership in semiconductor manufacturing. The company’s CEO Pat Gelsinger is confident it can happen within two years.
Gelsinger, who became chief executive in 2021, has prioritized Intel Foundry Services as the key component of his turnaround plan. The goal is to provide an alternative to Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing, better known as TSMC, which currently dominates the global semiconductor market for making advanced chips.

Intel’s success carries national security implications, since it’s the only U.S. company with the ability and scale to make domestic chip manufacturing work at large volumes.

Barron’s Tech spoke with Gelsinger at Intel’s recent recent AI Everywhere event, where the company launched its latest lineup of laptop processors and server chips designed to enhance AI-related workloads.
We discussed the CEO’s latest thoughts on the Chips Act, Congress’ 2022 bill that sets aside tens of billions for U.S. chip manufacturing; why the U.S. will stay ahead of China in AI; the possibility of winning Nvidia as a customer for its Foundry business; and Intel’s rising competition with TSMC.
Here are edited highlights from the conversation:

Barron’s: Where is Intel on the Chips Act? Other than a small $35 million disbursement this month, the funds from the government haven’t been distributed yet.
Gelsinger:
We’re actively working with the Chips program office. We’re pushing them to go faster.
The Department of Commerce is a little bit like the dog that caught the bus here. This is way bigger than anything they’ve ever done before: setting up the processes, adding people, and what the applications need to include.
I’d say I’m anxious about the timing of the disbursement of funds, but we’re also very respectful of the process and the work that they have to do to do a good job here.

Our projects that we’ve submitted are over $100 billion. This is enormous. Let’s get going. I am spending capital now, not a year or two from now.

On its last earnings call, TSMC was uncharacteristically defensive when asked about competition from Intel’s 18A process, which is due in 2025. What’s your reaction to that moment?
Anytime your competitor is talking about you it confirms you’re real at this point. Two years ago, nobody was even saying we’re in the game.
We announced two major innovations with 18A: a new transistor and backside power. I think everybody’s looking at the transistor of TSMC’s N2 versus our 18A. It’s not clear that one is dramatically better than the other. We’ll see who’s best.

But the backside power delivery, everybody says Intel, score. You are years ahead of the competition. That’s powerful. That’s meaningful. It gives better area efficiency for silicon, which means lower cost. It gives better power delivery, which means higher performance.

So, I have a good transistor. I have great power delivery. I think I’m a little bit ahead of N2, TSMC’s next process technology in time. And TSMC has given a very high-cost envelope that I think I easily fit underneath to be margin accretive for Intel.

Artificial intelligence has been the story of the year. What are the killer apps you see coming from AI over the next 12 months?
Some of the communications examples are going to be profound. Instead of getting crappy translation, I’m going to get real time translation, transcription, and contextualization on videoconference calls.

One of the examples that we are showcasing is our own manufacturing line. Leading edge metrology, image recognition, and being able to detect machine deviations a day early? I paid for the entire manufacturing line’s PC upgrade in one day. Those are the kind of use cases for supply chains and manufacturing.

Do you think U.S. technology leadership in AI will be sustainable against China over the next decade?
When you think about AI, there are three things: compute capabilities, data availability, and innovative research algorithms.

The U.S. has clearly led on compute power. Data? You’d think China would have an advantage there. But, in fact, the openness of the U.S. has clearly made lots of data sets available. Then third is our way of innovative life. The open, almost rebel-like characteristics that we have. I’m an entrepreneur. I can do this. And so on. You don’t do that in China.
Chinese policies have become more regressive, not more enabling for entrepreneurs and data access.

And how do you measure AI innovation? Based on the number of references of top peer-published AI papers, the U.S. dominates. The number two contributor today for major AI publications is the U.K., not China.
Every major AI innovation has occurred in the West—bar one or two—over the last decade. I don’t see that changing.

There’s been a lot of talk about Nvidia potentially becoming an Intel Foundry customer. Nvidia’s CFO recently said they would love to get another foundry partner when asked about Intel. If Nvidia does become a customer, how would that be announced?
Let me contextualize that. It’s not practice in the foundry industry to announce customers. Customers view it as their confidential information. It is also not practice because essentially when they make those design decisions, it is years until those products start to emerge. Don’t assume that we’re going to be giving lots of customer names because of those two reasons.
That’s why we tried to shape people’s understanding on our last earnings call [about customer wins]. There might not be names associated with them. We’ll give you as much information as we can.

Now, that said, if they emerge and they’re willing to [be named] for different reasons than some of those traditional ones, we’ll be public about them as well.
Whether Nvidia chooses to do that at some point in time, they have certainly been forward leaning in their considerations [around a new foundry]. We’ll be subject to their agreements to go forward to the next level.

Thanks for your time, Pat.

Intel CEO Says Company Will Beat TSMC and the U.S. Will Stay Ahead of China in AI Race. Here’s Why.

By Tae Kim

Dec 20, 2023, 7:00 am EST

This article is from the free weekly Barron’s Tech email newsletter. Sign up here to get it delivered directly to your inbox.

Chip Showdown. Hi everyone. Intel’s future depends on regaining technology leadership in semiconductor manufacturing. The company’s CEO Pat Gelsinger is confident it can happen within two years.
Gelsinger, who became chief executive in 2021, has prioritized Intel Foundry Services as the key component of his turnaround plan. The goal is to provide an alternative to Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing, better known as TSMC, which currently dominates the global semiconductor market for making advanced chips.

Intel’s success carries national security implications, since it’s the only U.S. company with the ability and scale to make domestic chip manufacturing work at large volumes.

Barron’s Tech spoke with Gelsinger at Intel’s recent recent AI Everywhere event, where the company launched its latest lineup of laptop processors and server chips designed to enhance AI-related workloads.
We discussed the CEO’s latest thoughts on the Chips Act, Congress’ 2022 bill that sets aside tens of billions for U.S. chip manufacturing; why the U.S. will stay ahead of China in AI; the possibility of winning Nvidia as a customer for its Foundry business; and Intel’s rising competition with TSMC.
Here are edited highlights from the conversation:

Barron’s: Where is Intel on the Chips Act? Other than a small $35 million disbursement this month, the funds from the government haven’t been distributed yet.
Gelsinger:
We’re actively working with the Chips program office. We’re pushing them to go faster.
The Department of Commerce is a little bit like the dog that caught the bus here. This is way bigger than anything they’ve ever done before: setting up the processes, adding people, and what the applications need to include.
I’d say I’m anxious about the timing of the disbursement of funds, but we’re also very respectful of the process and the work that they have to do to do a good job here.

Our projects that we’ve submitted are over $100 billion. This is enormous. Let’s get going. I am spending capital now, not a year or two from now.

On its last earnings call, TSMC was uncharacteristically defensive when asked about competition from Intel’s 18A process, which is due in 2025. What’s your reaction to that moment?
Anytime your competitor is talking about you it confirms you’re real at this point. Two years ago, nobody was even saying we’re in the game.
We announced two major innovations with 18A: a new transistor and backside power. I think everybody’s looking at the transistor of TSMC’s N2 versus our 18A. It’s not clear that one is dramatically better than the other. We’ll see who’s best.

But the backside power delivery, everybody says Intel, score. You are years ahead of the competition. That’s powerful. That’s meaningful. It gives better area efficiency for silicon, which means lower cost. It gives better power delivery, which means higher performance.

So, I have a good transistor. I have great power delivery. I think I’m a little bit ahead of N2, TSMC’s next process technology in time. And TSMC has given a very high-cost envelope that I think I easily fit underneath to be margin accretive for Intel.

Artificial intelligence has been the story of the year. What are the killer apps you see coming from AI over the next 12 months?
Some of the communications examples are going to be profound. Instead of getting crappy translation, I’m going to get real time translation, transcription, and contextualization on videoconference calls.

One of the examples that we are showcasing is our own manufacturing line. Leading edge metrology, image recognition, and being able to detect machine deviations a day early? I paid for the entire manufacturing line’s PC upgrade in one day. Those are the kind of use cases for supply chains and manufacturing.

Do you think U.S. technology leadership in AI will be sustainable against China over the next decade?
When you think about AI, there are three things: compute capabilities, data availability, and innovative research algorithms.

The U.S. has clearly led on compute power. Data? You’d think China would have an advantage there. But, in fact, the openness of the U.S. has clearly made lots of data sets available. Then third is our way of innovative life. The open, almost rebel-like characteristics that we have. I’m an entrepreneur. I can do this. And so on. You don’t do that in China.
Chinese policies have become more regressive, not more enabling for entrepreneurs and data access.

And how do you measure AI innovation? Based on the number of references of top peer-published AI papers, the U.S. dominates. The number two contributor today for major AI publications is the U.K., not China.
Every major AI innovation has occurred in the West—bar one or two—over the last decade. I don’t see that changing.

There’s been a lot of talk about Nvidia potentially becoming an Intel Foundry customer. Nvidia’s CFO recently said they would love to get another foundry partner when asked about Intel. If Nvidia does become a customer, how would that be announced?
Let me contextualize that. It’s not practice in the foundry industry to announce customers. Customers view it as their confidential information. It is also not practice because essentially when they make those design decisions, it is years until those products start to emerge. Don’t assume that we’re going to be giving lots of customer names because of those two reasons.
That’s why we tried to shape people’s understanding on our last earnings call [about customer wins]. There might not be names associated with them. We’ll give you as much information as we can.

Now, that said, if they emerge and they’re willing to [be named] for different reasons than some of those traditional ones, we’ll be public about them as well.
Whether Nvidia chooses to do that at some point in time, they have certainly been forward leaning in their considerations [around a new foundry]. We’ll be subject to their agreements to go forward to the next level.

Thanks for your time, Pat.

INTEL is a private company , why does everyone fallback on the Country trope.

Same as the companies in China are seemingly doing it for the glory of the country.

Nationalism on stuff like this is very weird.

I guess Intel wants to get its snout in the US Taxpayer trough so have to talk like this.

INTEL is a private company , why does everyone fallback on the Country trope.

Same as the companies in China are seemingly doing it for the glory of the country.

Nationalism on stuff like this is very weird.

I guess Intel wants to get its snout in the US Taxpayer trough so have to talk like this.
Surely Intel is a public company ? As in publically listed and with public reporting. A private company is one without publically traded shares and not needing to issue quarterly public financial reports, isn't it ?

45:20
laugh out loud

Begin at 45:20.

Pat's answer is shockingly honest but lacking the eagerness (at least pretending) to engage a potential customer of IFS. Without knowing the technical and business details from the person asking the question, Pat can easily state that "Please give me your contact info after this forum and my IFS' customer engagement team will contact you tomorrow."

Why a semiconductor startup needs to spend its precious time and resource to help Intel Foundry to become a better foundry as Pat mentioned? It's a justification Intel or Pat Gelsinger needs to provide and to initiate.

Last edited:

Funny stuff. The problem with talking they way Pat does (from the hip per say) is that he will have to eat some words. "Intel beating TSMC" will be one of those times. TSMC has a high cost envelope compared to Intel? That is not my understanding. And I know of zero design starts using IFS 18A with backside power. In fact I'm having a hard time finding an 18A design start. The PDKs are out but it is early yet, we will know more in Q2. Expect N2 fireworks at the TSMC Symposium in April. N2 will be ahead of N3 in all regards, absolutely.

I don't know where PG gets his data, but here's one link that places China in the #2 spot on citations:

On papers overall, and citations are not a perfect measure of impact, the data looks like this:

I don't know where PG gets his data, but here's one link that places China in the #2 spot on citations:

On papers overall, and citations are not a perfect measure of impact, the data looks like this:

China pumps out a TON of junk journal articles so I’d be wary of assigning any weight to the sheer number alone

Surely Intel is a public company ? As in publically listed and with public reporting. A private company is one without publically traded shares and not needing to issue quarterly public financial reports, isn't it ?

Semantics ....

None of these companies are representing the respective countries.

Yet the top people constantly bang on about country level stuff.

Maybe as I am of neither nationality , US or Chinese, I cannot understand the obsession

The more I hear Pat Gelsinger speak, the more I notice just how often he says "I" rather than "we" when he talks about Intel (for example, "I've got these quarter of a billion lithography machines", "my Larrabee project", "I had five great days last year"), ...). Not once in that piece (around 50 minutes) did I hear him talk about what a great team he has at Intel or name check anyone apart from Noyce, Moore and Grove.

This is starting to seem more than a coincidence and part of a wider picture in which he seems to think Intel has a right to be #1.

There also seems to be a lack of self-awareness (along with a shortage of humility). He claims to champion "open standards" against would be monopolists like nVidia, whilst apparently oblivious to Intel's own history. He talks about the risks of over-concentration of technology in high risk areas (Taiwan), whilst apparently unaware this is little different to Silicon Valley and the proven benefits of technology clusters.

Putting aside any technology or product considerations, I'm not convinced this is the blueprint for successful leadership in the 2020s. Nor that Pat is the man to make the cultural changes necessary at Intel.

China pumps out a TON of junk journal articles so I’d be wary of assigning any weight to the sheer number alone
I wouldn't be too sure about that. Personally, I'm not sure what to think. For example:

More concerning is the emphasis on citations as a metric for influence in journal articles. About 25 years ago I had a colleague who, like me, spent a lot of time reading journal articles. One day we were talking, and he mentioned that he read the reference list in an article before he read the body of the article. That surprised me, it would have never occurred to me that was useful, so I asked why he did that. He responded that references told him a lot about the influencers on the authors, and he especially looked for those articles which were written by people also in the author list, even if the references were not especially relevant to the subject of the referencing article. Ignorant as I was, I didn't know that journal article quality was being judged by the number of citations they got, or that anyone went through the trouble (especially back then) to analyze hundreds of thousands of articles to rate their influence in that manner. Silly me, citations had been the primary quality metric for a long time. Since I had stacks and stacks of printed journals, out of curiosity I spent a little time scanning through both author lists and reference lists. It was disheartening.

First of all, it became obvious that many articles listed a well-known researcher or professor in the author list, often as the last author named. I was suddenly reminded of invention disclosures I reviewed that listed the direct manager of the inventing engineers as an inventor. (Sometimes small teams would submit numerous invention disclosures where the entire team was always listed.) The more articles I scanned the references of, the more a pattern became obvious. Many articles had one or more full pages of references, and, as my colleague noticed, there was a correlation between numerous, shall we say foundational, references and well-known researchers on the author list. I even started looking at some related articles to see if there were "circles of friends" in reference lists, where some authors where actively citing other authors in more than one article. It was easy to convince myself I was seeing such a pattern.

So I'm not convinced that we've developed sufficiently sophisticated metrics for judging the quality of large numbers of research papers. It looks like a system too easy to game.

FWIW, I'm also leery of long-term managers, especially senior managers of large organizations, who claim to have over 100 patents in their resumes. Another system that is probably gamed.

Last edited:
The more I hear Pat Gelsinger speak, the more I notice just how often he says "I" rather than "we" when he talks about Intel (for example, "I've got these quarter of a billion lithography machines", "my Larrabee project", "I had five great days last year"), ...). Not once in that piece (around 50 minutes) did I hear him talk about what a great team he has at Intel or name check anyone apart from Noyce, Moore and Grove.

This is starting to seem more than a coincidence and part of a wider picture in which he seems to think Intel has a right to be #1.

There also seems to be a lack of self-awareness (along with a shortage of humility). He claims to champion "open standards" against would be monopolists like nVidia, whilst apparently oblivious to Intel's own history. He talks about the risks of over-concentration of technology in high risk areas (Taiwan), whilst apparently unaware this is little different to Silicon Valley and the proven benefits of technology clusters.

Putting aside any technology or product considerations, I'm not convinced this is the blueprint for successful leadership in the 2020s. Nor that Pat is the man to make the cultural changes necessary at Intel.
A very astute post.

This is nature index 2023. Based on country's share of scientific articles and papers published in leading journals. China ranks second with total share of 20.051%,only very slightly behind the US's 21.473% share.

If you are from academic community,you would know that leading journals such as Nature magazine don't accept junk journal articles. Only high quality articles can be published

Back