Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/az-union-calls-tsmcs-delay-claims-inaccurate.18471/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

AZ Union calls TSMC's delay claims inaccurate.

ta152h

The leader of one of Arizona's largest unions fired back at TSMC's claims that unskilled American workers have delayed construction and tools installation of its new Fab 21. Aaron Butler, the head of the Arizona Building and Construction Trades Council, wrote in his column for Phoenix Business Journal that workers for Arizona have been building and equipping fabs for Intel for decades and that TSMC is using the delay as an excuse to bring in foreign workers they can pay less.

The Arizona Building and Construction Trades Council leader representing 15,000+ union construction workers refuted TSMC's claim of a skills gap in American workers for the semiconductor project. Arizona workers have built fabs for Intel for 40 years and represent a seasoned workforce that is highly skilled and prepared for this task, Butler wrote. The unions have fulfilled all the labor hours requested by TSMC, which starkly refutes TSMC's assertion that there is a deficit of skilled American workers, Butler alleges. He also claims that TSMC failed to name skills that Arizona workers allegedly lack or the specific training these Taiwanese workers will teach the American workforce.

Clearly TSMC did not grease enough palms in AZ. The unions have been bashing them since this project started. I am not shocked however that TSMC builds fabs differently than Intel, in fact, I expected as much.

In my opinion the reason TSMC is no longer pushing hard on the AZ fab build is more due to a decline in demand than anything else. But since everyone is crying about the lack of ninja skilled workers it was an easy thing for TSMC to say to Wall Street.

I'm told the Intel fab build in Ohio will experience delays. Pat is blaming Congress for lack of CHIPs act money but filling the fabs has got to be a major concern.

“I hate the idea of announcing a delay,” Gelsinger told CNBC’s Sara Eisen during an appearance with Ohio Senator Rob Portman at the Aspen Ideas Festival. “The idea of delaying ... this sucks... I am not a delay guy,” Gelsinger said.

“Everyone saw our announcement of our delay and it is a huge signal to the industry, to get the shovels in the ground and the U.S. serious about building this industry back on U.S. soil,” he said. “It’s game time,” he added. “Get it done before August.”

The leader of one of Arizona's largest unions fired back at TSMC's claims that unskilled American workers have delayed construction and tools installation of its new Fab 21. Aaron Butler, the head of the Arizona Building and Construction Trades Council, wrote in his column for Phoenix Business Journal that workers for Arizona have been building and equipping fabs for Intel for decades and that TSMC is using the delay as an excuse to bring in foreign workers they can pay less.

The Arizona Building and Construction Trades Council leader representing 15,000+ union construction workers refuted TSMC's claim of a skills gap in American workers for the semiconductor project. Arizona workers have built fabs for Intel for 40 years and represent a seasoned workforce that is highly skilled and prepared for this task, Butler wrote. The unions have fulfilled all the labor hours requested by TSMC, which starkly refutes TSMC's assertion that there is a deficit of skilled American workers, Butler alleges. He also claims that TSMC failed to name skills that Arizona workers allegedly lack or the specific training these Taiwanese workers will teach the American workforce.

IMO, TSMC is better in the long run not to reply on union labor for the fab construction. I have witnessed the good things unions claimed to bring to the average people. But I saw a lot more stupidness, entitlements, laziness, wastefulness, and Mafia like behaviors.

Last edited:
Back