[ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Yahoo Sold To Verizon.

I haven't used my Yahoo account in years, but when I did it was to play Backgammon. I'd guess that a large number of the Yahoo user accounts are quite dormant, like mine.

FYI - here's the top 500 sites on the web as measured by Alexa.com, Alexa Top 500 Global Sites

I haven't used my Yahoo account in years, but when I did it was to play Backgammon. I'd guess that a large number of the Yahoo user accounts are quite dormant, like mine.

FYI - here's the top 500 sites on the web as measured by Alexa.com, Alexa Top 500 Global Sites

An overwhelming majority of emails used to register for SemiWiki are in fact gmail. Rarely do I see a yahoo.com. SemiWiki.com is #150,124 on the Alexa rank so we have some work to do.

I understand the strategic rational behind this acquisition but I don't agree with it. Verizon wants to become a player in the digital advertising market, and is accumulating media properties to support it's ambition (with the Yahoo acquisition, Verizon moves into the number 3 position in digital advertising, behind Google and Facebook). The problem is that content is no longer where value is created in the ad market - it's in targeting, and Verizon lacks the targeting data to compete effectively with Google, Facebook and Microsoft (previously #3, #4 pro forma VZ-YHOO). Therefore, I think this will be a dead end strategy for Verizon.

Back years ago Verizon used to be GTE - General Telephone and Electronics. In fact they were a mediocre telephone company but made good money. They saw cellular coming and made a major push. Over the decades they have consistently paid 4-5% dividends and had steady growth. They were wise to get into cellular. Now the question is where do you go from here. But looking at the LTE roadmap - from the recent Linley Mobile and Wearable Conference - there is a lot of ground to cover in the future. I would not bet against Verizon. Disclosure - I have been long in VZ for a very long time.

Back