Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/tsmc-and-samsungs-3nm-process-battle-officially-enters-white-hot-stage-can-samsung-win-3nm.13669/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

TSMC and Samsung's 3nm process battle officially enters 'white-hot' stage. Can Samsung win 3nm?

I would suggest you go through Scotten’s article - Logic Leadership in the PPAC era. It would answer probably most of your questions.

Well according to Katie Wickens TSMC 3nm is winning:

"Katie is a confessed logophile with a love of metaphor and an insatiable creative urge. She's also an RPG, sim and survival game enthusiast who harbours an overt disdain for MMOs, un-managed cables and software that doesn't include a dark mode."

She certainly knows what she is talking about here........ hahahahahahaha

Here's the thing, the first foundry to a node wins. They get the big customers, the massive yield learning, and the big margins. And when I say first to the node I don't mean the first press release. I mean HVM with the PPAC numbers that match the PDK.

Samsung and TSMC both won the 14/16nm node. TSMC won 10nm (Samsung didn't yield). Samsung and TSMC split the 7nm node. TSMC won 5nm and 3nm (Samsung was late). 2nm is still up in the air. Samsung was the first to 2nm press release but I would not count out TSMC, absolutely.

Loser is relative, both will get there and make billions so I would consider both as winners.

The real story is what computer scientists will be able to do at 3,2,1, and .5 nm. I heard of the potential from a podcast.

Back