Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/tsmc-4nm-running-ahead-of-schedule.13978/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

TSMC 4nm running ahead of schedule

prime007

Various reports today indicate that TSMC 4nm has entered trial production & volume production could begin before the end of the year. Sources indicate that "Apple has already booked the initial capacity of TSMC's N4 for its new-generation Mac series".

According to TSMC, N4 will provide roughly a 5% speed gain and 10% power improvement over N5 as it currently stands.

Source: https://hexus.net/business/news/components/147617-tsmc-4nm-running-ahead-schedule-says-report/

Various reports today indicate that TSMC 4nm has entered trial production & volume production could begin before the end of the year. Sources indicate that "Apple has already booked the initial capacity of TSMC's N4 for its new-generation Mac series".
According to TSMC, N4 will provide roughly a 5% speed gain and 10% power improvement over N5 as it currently stands.
Source: https://hexus.net/business/news/components/147617-tsmc-4nm-running-ahead-schedule-says-report/

Not a big surprise. 4nm uses the same fabs as 5nm and 5nm ramped very nicely. By the way, Apple books fab capacity years in advance so what this article tells me is that the author has no idea what they are talking about.

TSMC has been executing on the same schedule since Apple came to them from Samsung Foundry at 20nm (iPhone 6). Apple left the IDM foundry model for a pureplay foundry to protect secrets/assets/IP. So the thought of Apple going back to an IDM foundry (Intel or Samsung) is dumb.

I plan to replenish my Apple devices this year so I am really looking forward to the new stuff!

Back