Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/tim-cook-needs-to-study-andy-grove.7702/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Tim Cook Needs to Study Andy Grove

Arthur Hanson

Tim Cook should take some time to read up on Andy Grove and "Only the Paranoid Survive" mind set while there is still time and money.

Or not, because Apple is still making truckloads of money.

Did you have any particular reason for saying this? Or more clickbait :)

I think Brian Krzanich needs to study up on Andy Grove. Have you seen his latest blog?

Brian Krzanich: Our Strategy and The Future of Intel | Intel Newsroom

Our strategy itself is about transforming Intel from a PC company to a company that powers the cloud and billions of smart, connected computing devices. We head into that future with tremendous assets and advantages: our spirit of innovation, our technology and manufacturing leadership, and the trust of our customers. But what does that future look like? I want to outline how I see the future unfolding and how Intel will continue to lead and win as we power the next generation of technologies.

There are five core beliefs that I hold to be undeniably true for the future:

• The cloud is the most important trend shaping the future of the smart, connected world – and thus Intel’s future.
  • The many “things” that make up the PC Client business and the Internet of Things are made much more valuable by their connection to the cloud.
  • Memory and programmable solutions such as FPGAs will deliver entirely new classes of products for the data center and the Internet of Things.
  • 5G will become the key technology for access to the cloud and as we move toward an always-connected world.
  • Moore’s Law will continue to progress and Intel will continue to lead in delivering its true economic impact.
View attachment 17173

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Thoughts?

-The cloud is the most important trend shaping the future of the smart, connected world – and thus Intel’s future. Agree. Compute is increasingly shifting to cloud and this trend will continue for the foreseeable future.

-The many “things” that make up the PC Client business and the Internet of Things are made much more valuable by their connection to the cloud.
Somewhat agree. I think IoT is somewhat overhyped, and not every application benefits from cloud connectivity.

-Memory and programmable solutions such as FPGAs will deliver entirely new classes of products for the data center and the Internet of Things. Somewhat agree. Memory and FPGA are not new technologies. As we run out of room to improve logic, memory become alternative paths toward continued performance improvement.

-5G will become the key technology for access to the cloud and as we move toward an always-connected world. Agree, but it will require Telco's to play ball and they have their own agenda.

-Moore’s Law will continue to progress and Intel will continue to lead in delivering its true economic impact.
Wishful thinking.

On the larger, more salient point about BK needing to take a lesson from Andy Grove. I think the paranoia has been lost. As I mentioned before, it appears Intel's new strategy is to retreat upmarket to the high margin datacenter and is no longer empathizing PCs, which could potentially allow competitors back into the PC market. If this happens, and Intel loses it's volumes from the PC market, they will lose the scale they need to continue to innovate.

A paranoid Intel would be defending the PC as if it's life depended on it, because it does.

tty2, the time to worry is when you still have the lead and the money, not after you loose them. Once you loose the money and the lead, most times it becomes difficult, if not impossible to regain them. Motorola, Nokia, IBM, Xerox, Blackberry, HP and numerous others are examples of this rule, all leaders at one time, but no longer.

It's curious that Intel was founded on a single product, the DRAM chip, but then in the 1980's exited the DRAM market because they could no longer maintain a #1 or #2 position. Let's see if Intel can lead again in memory chips.

Back