Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/samsung-sold-more-asml-shares-in-q3.19145/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Samsung sold more ASML shares in Q3

tonyget

SEOUL, Nov 15 (Reuters) - South Korea’s Samsung Electronics cut its stake in semiconductor manufacturing equipment maker ASML further in the third quarter, the company’s latest financial statement showed.

Samsung Electronics more than halved its stake in ASML earlier this year.

The South Korean chip giant sold around 1.17 million shares in ASML from July to September, according to its third quarter report filed to financial regulators and disclosed on Tuesday.

The stake Samsung sold is worth around 726.7 million euros ($789.92 million) based on the latest share prices.

That brought Samsung Electronics’ holding in the Dutch chip equipment maker down to 0.4%, or 1.58 million shares, according to the report.

Samsung Electronics did not have an immediate comment. ($1 = 0.9200 euros) (Reporting by Ju-min Park; Editing by Ed Davies)

I had thought the big 3 logic houses had sold off all of the shares years ago? Not so it would appear. Do intel and TSMC still have a few shares or like Samsung have they sold most or all of them?

As of June 30, 2023, Samsung had $61,700,345 USD of "cash and cash equivalents" on hand. So they're not short on cash.

An interesting quote here:
In 2012, Intel, Samsung and TSMC all invested heavily in ASML as a way to jump-start development of extreme ultraviolet (EUV) lithography, with Intel sinking in $4 billion to acquire a 10% stake.

All three chipmakers have now cut their stakes in ASML by at least 50%. TSMC sold all of its ASML shares in 2015, while Samsung and Intel began unloading ASML shares in 2016.

Oops, I missed a set of 3 zeros. I meant billions instead of millions. So on par with your figure. Meaning that they're not doing this (selling ASML) bc they need more cash.

Considering capex spending has likely reached it peak, one can expect equipment manufacturer share prices to drop. To anticipate this selling shares is investor logic (potentially even with insider knowledge).
Since the author does not provide background info and/or speculate on reasoning for this move, I wonder what the actual news value is.

Considering capex spending has likely reached it peak, one can expect equipment manufacturer share prices to drop. To anticipate this selling shares is investor logic (potentially even with insider knowledge).
Since the author does not provide background info and/or speculate on reasoning for this move, I wonder what the actual news value is.

For Capex to drop significantly does that mean that we have hit a technological plateau?

Or have designers now come to conclusions that we can do more this less?

They dont need a chip based on 3nm tech in a toaster or vacuum cleaner?

For Capex to drop significantly does that mean that we have hit a technological plateau?
Or have designers now come to conclusions that we can do more this less?
They dont need a chip based on 3nm tech in a toaster or vacuum cleaner?

AI has added a new dimension to the semiconductor industry On the edge and in the datacenter which requires leading edge process technology. We have just scratched the surface here. AI will also consume memory. I really do not see significant CAPEX cuts at the leading edge. Mature nodes however will see cuts since we will have over capacity coming due to onshoring.

Back