Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/nvidia-gaming-revenue-spikes-by-106-data-center-by-79.14279/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Nvidia gaming revenue spikes by 106%, data center by 79%

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
File this one under chip shortage and it's not gamers as much as crypto miners which is a very spikey business. In fact, what I have heard is that the crypto industry is going green so less mining will be done next year. Maybe someone in the know can explain further.

Either way GO NVDA! Unfortunately I don't think the ARM acquisition is going to happen. Customers and whole countries are against it. Comments?

Dan, just picking up the ARM/nVidia thread.

I don't fully understand this "ARM deal isn't going to happen". UK competition authorities here (which seem to have done nothing at all apart from draw their pay cheques for about the last 20 years) had their chance when SoftBank bought ARM. It's hard to make a case that nVidia buying ARM is really any worse/different than SoftBank. If I were at ARM, I'd probably prefer a real engineering company taking over to a financial one.

OK, that's just the UK angle. It's bigger than that.

How could nVidia have got this far into the bid without reasonable certainty of completion ? These sort of deals cost $10 millions even if they don't complete.

The time for any competition authorities to make it clear this deal is unacceptable (if it is) is surely before it is announced. It was public knowledge SoftBank was hawking ARM around for sale for months. One wonders how the investment banks are allowed to put a company up for sale if it's unsaleable ...

The fact that ARM China apparently owns some of the IP and has/had a rogue local CEO who ARM couldn't fire is a wild card factor I don't understand ...

Dan, just picking up the ARM/nVidia thread.

I don't fully understand this "ARM deal isn't going to happen". UK competition authorities here (which seem to have done nothing at all apart from draw their pay cheques for about the last 20 years) had their chance when SoftBank bought ARM. It's hard to make a case that nVidia buying ARM is really any worse/different than SoftBank. If I were at ARM, I'd probably prefer a real engineering company taking over to a financial one.

OK, that's just the UK angle. It's bigger than that.

How could nVidia have got this far into the bid without reasonable certainty of completion ? These sort of deals cost $10 millions even if they don't complete.

The time for any competition authorities to make it clear this deal is unacceptable (if it is) is surely before it is announced. It was public knowledge SoftBank was hawking ARM around for sale for months. One wonders how the investment banks are allowed to put a company up for sale if it's unsaleable ...

The fact that ARM China apparently owns some of the IP and has/had a rogue local CEO who ARM couldn't fire is a wild card factor I don't understand ...

Apple, QCOM, MediaTek, Samsung and other ARM customers are dead set against it. That is the real problem. And China of course. My hope is that Softbank will spin ARM out and IPO it. Softbank should have never acquired them in the first place.

"Softbank should have never acquired them in the first place."

Hard to disagree. However, the counter-argument here is that Softbank's offer was simply too high to refuse and that the enriched ARM employee-shareholders may put the capital to better use than Softbank - whether in ARM or in some other ventures. That's what capitalism should do. If someone offered to buy my house for 5 times the market price, I'd probably take it ... You can't blame ARM for Softbank over-paying.

The enthusiasm of the UK government for the ARM-Softbank deal at the time was quite astonishing. Fortunately Mrs. May (the PM at the time) isn't doing that job any more ...

"Softbank should have never acquired them in the first place."

Hard to disagree. However, the counter-argument here is that Softbank's offer was simply too high to refuse and that the enriched ARM employee-shareholders may put the capital to better use than Softbank - whether in ARM or in some other ventures. That's what capitalism should do. If someone offered to buy my house for 5 times the market price, I'd probably take it ... You can't blame ARM for Softbank over-paying.

The enthusiasm of the UK government for the ARM-Softbank deal at the time was quite astonishing. Fortunately Mrs. May (the PM at the time) isn't doing that job any more ...

Agreed. My friends at ARM appreciated being taken out of the spotlight of Wall Street so they could focus on engineering which they did. I just did not see the synergy with Softbank like they would have with Nvidia.

I have followed Masayoshi Son for years, a most unusual, brilliant man. There is no telling what he will ever do. Very daring and not afraid to make mistakes, but a winner overall. I'm not a fan or detractor, just an observer.

Back