Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/microsofts-new-surface-laptops-will-be-available-with-arm-cpus-in-june.19776/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Microsoft's new Surface laptops will be available with Arm CPUs in June

hist78

"Whether Intel or Arm, the new portables are expected to bring dramatic improvements in battery life, with true all-day operation possible. The Surface Laptop is also said to be subject to an extensive design overhaul with slimmer screen bezels, a haptic touchpad, improved port selection including a pair of USB-C sockets, and, inevitably, the addition of Microsoft's dedicated Copilot button on the keyboard."

I wonder how much the ARM Surface laptops will cost.. Apple's (ARM) M1 Macbook Air now starts at $749..

I wonder how much the ARM Surface laptops will cost.. Apple's (ARM) M1 Macbook Air now starts at $749..
Clearance price. Apple no longer offers it, base is M2 at $999 and new M3 starts at 1099. And getting a reasonable memory size is at breathtaking price - $200 per 8GB, even more expensive than HBM3e.

Seems little risk Microsoft will struggle to compete on price. Apple, as usual, is expensive.

Clearance price. Apple no longer offers it, base is M2 at $999 and new M3 starts at 1099. And getting a reasonable memory size is at breathtaking price - $200 per 8GB, even more expensive than HBM3e.

Seems little risk Microsoft will struggle to compete on price. Apple, as usual, is expensive.
Fair - just thinking the last ARM Surface - Surface Pro X started at $899, more than the $749 MBA M1. For $100 more why wouldn’t you get the much faster and more capable M2 MacBook Air? (Or iPad Pro 11”+magic keyboard).

I get that the ARM Surface has some niche uses but.. meh. Apple offers more for not much more money IMO vs. Windows on ARM.

Fair - just thinking the last ARM Surface - Surface Pro X started at $899, more than the $749 MBA M1. For $100 more why wouldn’t you get the much faster and more capable M2 MacBook Air? (Or iPad Pro 11”+magic keyboard).
A friend of mine just bought a new M1 MacBook for $749 a few weeks ago. He can't imagine why he needs anything faster, and likes the complete freedom from the crapware that's shipped with all low-priced PC laptops. He's also not a technologist, so the whole idea of resetting a new PC and downloading Win11 from Microsoft to get rid of the crapware makes him uncomfortable. I think he's an Apple fan for life.

A friend of mine just bought a new M1 MacBook for $749 a few weeks ago. He can't imagine why he needs anything faster, and likes the complete freedom from the crapware that's shipped with all low-priced PC laptops. He's also not a technologist, so the whole idea of resetting a new PC and downloading Win11 from Microsoft to get rid of the crapware makes him uncomfortable. I think he's an Apple fan for life.

Sick of Microsoft as well. We have had ARM laptops before..... I'm going with a Mac for Christmas.

The fact that Apple does NOT install any third party applications on their OS alone (out of the box) is absolutely a big advantage over any Windows OEM. 100% a great purchase for your friend.

(I was responding to the comment that the M1 MBA won't be around forever (clearance) - so if you had to pay $999 for a M2 MBA, it's still a better deal than the ARM Surface IMO. The M1 is amazing already. )

I know of only one reliable way to get a clean Win11 build directly from an OEM. Buy a Microsoft Surface. Microsoft does not put third party apps (bloatware) on any of them.

Back