Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/intels-foundry-business-has-10-billion-locked-in-who-are-the-four-customers.19542/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Intel's Foundry Business Has $10 Billion Locked In, Who are the Four Customers?

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
09a2207166b5790709faa842bf53d8e2

• The biggest shift in Intel's (NASDAQ: INTC) strategy over the past few years under CEO Pat Gelsinger has been opening up its manufacturing operations to third parties. This isn't the first time Intel has attempted to build its own foundry business -- it tried and failed for about five years ending in 2018, although that effort was much narrower than what it's now aiming to accomplish.
This time around, Intel is all in. Manufacturing has been broken out into a separate business unit, and the company plans to regain its manufacturing edge over TSMC by early 2025 with its advanced Intel 18A process node. It has been picking up customers for Intel 18A, as well as for its advanced packaging services, although details have been scarce.

The fact that Intel is even capable of catching up technologically to TSMC after so many years of rampant manufacturing delays is almost a miracle. If the company can pull it off, the foundry business could one day be the largest source of revenue for Intel.

On the right track​

Right now, Intel's foundry business generates revenue primarily from traditional packaging services. One reason for the company's weak first-quarter guidance was an expected drop in demand for traditional packaging, which isn't a high-margin business where Intel can gain a competitive advantage. It won't be the focus as the foundry business ramps up.

Wafer manufacturing and advanced packaging will be the two key services offered by Intel. Neither is generating meaningful revenue from external customers today.
On the manufacturing side, the two process nodes offered, Intel 3 and Intel 18A, aren't yet ready for volume production. Intel 3 is close, with Intel's next-gen server CPUs set to use the process in the first half of this year. Intel 18A won't be far behind in early 2025.

On the advanced packaging front, it takes time for commitments to turn into revenue. Intel has won a total of five advanced packaging customers but doesn't expect meaningful revenue generation to begin until 2025. The company recently opened a new advanced packaging facility in New Mexico to provide capacity for its own products and those of external foundry customers.

Intel has 50 test chips in the pipeline for 2024 and 2025, with three-quarters of those on the Intel 18A process. The company has four customers already committed to Intel 18A, although little is known about them. Across wafer manufacturing and advanced packaging, Intel disclosed that the total lifetime deal value has now surpassed $10 billion.

A 2025 and 2026 story​

Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger noted in the fourth-quarter earnings call that it takes multiple quarters for an advanced packaging win to translate into revenue and potentially years for a wafer manufacturing win to translate into revenue. While Intel 18A is expected to be ready in early 2025, it will take time for revenue to ramp up.

By the end of 2026, it should be clear whether Intel's foundry strategy is working. The global foundry market is currently worth over $100 billion and is expected to more than double by 2032. Intel's $10 billion foundry pipeline is notable, but it's a drop in the bucket since it will translate into revenue over multiple years.

The foundry business will get a weak start in 2024 with traditional packaging revenue slumping. That $10 billion pipeline won't start generating revenue in a meaningful way until 2025, so the foundry business may be a drag on Intel's results for much of 2024. But it's always darkest just before the dawn.

As Intel closes the technological gap with TSMC in 2025 and perhaps even pulls ahead, the company's foundry is going to be in every conversation about manufacturing at major chip designers. Intel has a lot of balls in the air right now, and there's plenty that could go wrong. But the company is setting itself up for incredible growth once the foundry business comes into its own.

Other than Intel itself, who are the 4 customers???

"The company has four customers already committed to Intel 18A, although little is known about them. "

Intel's 18A is high performance node suitable for CPUs, not low power stuff, nor high density. That eliminates any mobile, or GPU products (even Intel doesn't manufacture their own GPU die on 18A)
I think it'll be smaller companies that have CPU products, like Ampere Computing and Amazon (for their inhouse chips)

I don't know that $10B is a drop in the bucket. GlobalFoundries company-wide revenue was $8.1B in 2022. UMC was ~ $9.24B in 2022.

I agree there's a lot more to go, but $10B is a pretty nice down payment. Intel is also running it's own products through the fabs to add on top of that.

As for customers, guessing: Microsoft (their semi custom AI/cloud stuff, OpenAI Sam Altman stuff, but not the consoles), Nvidia (will take any fabs available), MediaTek (agree w/hist78), and a smaller 4th player.

I don't think Qualcomm would be on the menu (IIRC they were burnt on previous 10nm promises).

I don't know that $10B is a drop in the bucket. GlobalFoundries company-wide revenue was $8.1B in 2022. UMC was ~ $9.24B in 2022.

I agree there's a lot more to go, but $10B is a pretty nice down payment. Intel is also running it's own products through the fabs to add on top of that.

As for customers, guessing: Microsoft (their semi custom AI/cloud stuff, OpenAI Sam Altman stuff, but not the consoles), Nvidia (will take any fabs available), MediaTek (agree w/hist78), and a smaller 4th player.

I don't think Qualcomm would be on the menu (IIRC they were burnt on previous 10nm promises).

If OpenAI Sam Altman wants to get into fabless business to develop its own AI chips, a less risky step is to start with TSMC then add Intel as the second source.

If OpenAI Sam Altman wants to get into fabless business to develop its own AI chips, a less risky step is to start with TSMC then add Intel as the second source.
The less risky thing to do is have Intel design and manufacture it. Intel bought AI chip companies. Pat has the people and fans to do it. OpenAI is a whale!

During Q1 earnings call, Pat mentioned "United States government and Department of Defense. "
I was surprised he counted that as two customers in stead of one.

So I bet 4 customers are:
United States government, Department of Defense, Ericsson, and Qualcomm.

During Q1 earnings call, Pat mentioned "United States government and Department of Defense. "
I was surprised he counted that as two customers in stead of one.

So I bet 4 customers are:
United States government, Department of Defense, Ericsson, and Qualcomm.

MediaTek instead of QCOM.

This is interesting: https://fudzilla.com/news/58334-intel-and-umc-team-up-on-older-technology

Intel Fabs 12/22/32 to develop a 12nm finfet technology with UMC, arriving in 2027.

The interesting thing to me: Finfets are not very standardized. Apple famously made A9 chip at two finfet fabs, Samsung and TSMC, but that hasn't happened since, because there are subtle differences between TSMC, Samsung and Intel finfets which prevents easy moves between fabs. By offering a mature finfet standard at Intel and UMC, in a few years, the market may be larger for both Intel and UMC, without needing to speculate about what customers will go where.

The $10bn is the [best case ?] projected lifetime revenue ("total lifetime deal value") from all four and not an annual figure. And says nothing about what up front payments (if any) Intel is receiving.

Wrong! TSMC isn't giving out for free. Sam Altman needs capital. Yes, OpenAI is prosperous, but it's not enough to build ambition Sam want. To do so, he need to find a reliable partner that can sacrifice a few percent of margin for a greater good.

Wrong! TSMC isn't giving out for free. Sam Altman needs capital. Yes, OpenAI is prosperous, but it's not enough to build ambition Sam want. To do so, he need to find a reliable partner that can sacrifice a few percent of margin for a greater good.

Sam Altman was added to the upcoming Intel Foundry event:

Pat Gelsinger IDM 2.0 and Sam Altman's billions..... perfect fit.

I believe the announcements were for PR and perhaps we should read between the lines more to find what is really going on.

1) 10B over the lifetime. that is not revenue per year. It is actually lower than the revenue I forecast 2 months ago (they will add more customers).
2) Commitment is not 10B. what is the actual contract?. If Intel delivers, people will continue to ramp Intel.
3) People are definitely looking at Intel. Intel plans to be the advanced foundry for the US government (like IBM 20 years ago) and the foundry for other foundries. those are both significant, real businesses and a need that TSMC will not fill.
4) there is a 5 year strategy to Intel's fab building activities that matches the comments in 1,2,3..... we will see how the finances pan out and how the builds match the strategy.

Advanced government fab and fab for other foundries are areas to keep an eye on. But we are 2 years from starting to see whether finances are reasonable IMO. Once we start shipping wafers from Fab 52, we will get a better idea on the future.

Back