Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/intel-gets-us-3-2b-to-build-another-fab-in-israel-for-us-25b.19354/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Intel gets US$3.2B to build another fab in Israel for US$25B

blueone

JERUSALEM, Dec 26 (Reuters) - Israel's government agreed to give Intel (INTC.O) a $3.2 billion grant for a new $25 billion chip plant it plans to build in southern Israel, both sides said on Tuesday, in what is the largest investment ever by a company in Israel.

The news comes as Israel remains locked in a war with Palestinian militant group Hamas in the wake of the Oct. 7 Hamas attack on Israel. It also is a big show of support by a major U.S. company and a generous offer by Israel's government at a time when Washington has increased pressure on Israel to take further steps to minimise civilian harm in Gaza.

Talk about Israel role modeling keeping an eye on the future big picture, even in the middle of an all-consuming war.

IMO, the price was cheap to get Intel to agree to build a new $25B fab less than 31 kilometers from Gaza in the middle of a war.
Yup. Let’s see the Intel fanboys make the same Taiwan isn’t safe argument when Israel is routinely attacked by all its neighbours

Reactions: VCT
Yup. Let’s see the Intel fanboys make the same Taiwan isn’t safe argument when Israel is routinely attacked by all its neighbours
Taiwan is a different issue altogether, and the two threats don't equate. If China makes a move on Taiwan it's a catastrophe for most of the high tech industry, and has a good chance of starting a world war. An attack on Intel's fab will be mostly Intel's problem. But for Intel an attack on a fab would be a big corporate problem, and for the moment it's difficult to see the light at the end of this Gaza war tunnel, so I'm guessing Intel needed a sweetener to make this deal happen.

Taiwan is a different issue altogether, and the two threats don't equate. If China makes a move on Taiwan it's a catastrophe for most of the high tech industry, and has a good chance of starting a world war. An attack on Intel's fab will be mostly Intel's problem. But for Intel an attack on a fab would be a big corporate problem, and for the moment it's difficult to see the light at the end of this Gaza war tunnel, so I'm guessing Intel needed a sweetener to make this deal happen.

How much of our memory is made in South Korea? North Korea now has the means to disrupt the semiconductor supply chain same as China but nobody is worried about that? How far does semiconductor logic go without memory? Maybe it is just propaganda but it sure appears that Kim Jong Un is much more of a semiconductor concern than Xi Jinping.

Of course we should be worried. Rocket man isn't going against what Xi says. Micron must be protected.

Intel isn't moving out of the US and Ireland. They are allowed to supplement.
TSMC is diversifying into Japan and hopefully soon Arizona. This is good.

Intel fanboys.. what is your point? Why wouldn't we be fans of manufacturing in the US?

Of course we should be worried. Rocket man isn't going against what Xi says. Micron must be protected.

Intel isn't moving out of the US and Ireland. They are allowed to supplement.
TSMC is diversifying into Japan and hopefully soon Arizona. This is good.

Intel fanboys.. what is your point? Why wouldn't we be fans of manufacturing in the US?
My point is that Pat and others frequently make it seem like TSMC is uniquely under threat. Also the threat level is similar I’d say. Israel sees it as an existential threat and I agree with them. They are vastly out numbered, surrounded on almost all sides and threatened with stately and ethnic destruction by Iran daily, a nation very clearly bent on developing nukes. The Samsung point is a good one too. North Korea already has Seoul within artillery range not to mention many nukes. It’s just tiresome to see the same old Taiwan is going to get invaded narrative trotted out when so many other production centres are equally threatened if not more. I’d also argue that Israel and South Korea’s neighbours are far more unhinged and libel to do something stupid than China.

How much of our memory is made in South Korea? North Korea now has the means to disrupt the semiconductor supply chain same as China but nobody is worried about that? How far does semiconductor logic go without memory? Maybe it is just propaganda but it sure appears that Kim Jong Un is much more of a semiconductor concern than Xi Jinping.
Good points.

My point is that Pat and others frequently make it seem like TSMC is uniquely under threat.
On this forum or in the press in general?
Also the threat level is similar I’d say. Israel sees it as an existential threat and I agree with them. They are vastly out numbered, surrounded on almost all sides and threatened with stately and ethnic destruction by Iran daily, a nation very clearly bent on developing nukes.
I think the threat to Intel's Israel facility are probably the greatest of all, because Hamas has so little to lose by comparison to China or North Korea, and they have a proven record of actually firing rockets. My point is also that taking out the Taiwan fabs - or the South Korean fabs for that matter - will have a far worse effect on the world economy than Intel's fabs because the production capacities are so much greater.
It’s just tiresome to see the same old Taiwan is going to get invaded narrative trotted out when so many other production centres are equally threatened if not more. I’d also argue that Israel and South Korea’s neighbours are far more unhinged and libel to do something stupid than China.
I agree, and I thought my post conveyed that concern, but given the relatively low Israeli production I still can't equate the threats on a global level. Again, other than Gelsinger, who do you think are "the others" overplaying the Taiwan threat?

Last edited:
This isn't complicated. It is dumb for any US company to 100% rely on foundries in China, Taiwan, Isreal, and S. Korea. Utilizing fabs in those areas is fine, but not at 100%.

For example, we automated TSMC 16nm, but we have automatic migration to GF 14nm. That fab is in NY. Once we get our hands on IFS whatever, we will provide automation and an almost push button migration to that process as well. TSMC 16 made me nervous. TSMC announcing that they will handle that process in Japan made me happy. It took us 6 years to automate that process and I was worried that we may have wasted our time.

Of course Pat is going push the US fab angle... as he should. Investing elsewhere is ok, just as long as he has a stable alternative. IMO, Pat should handle DRAM and HBM in the Western Hemisphere. The USG will have to back them. This is survival. Both parties agree.

Back