Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/intel-ceo-list-eyes-outsiders-in-break-with-tradition.10746/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Intel CEO List Eyes Outsiders in Break With Tradition

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
According to Bloomberg:

Sanjay Jha
Anand Chandrasekher
Navin Shenoy
Renee James

Intel's had six leaders in 50 Years all from within its own ranks:

Robert Noyce 1968-75
Gordon Moore 1975-87
Andy Grove 1987-98
Craig Barrett 1998-05
Paul Otellini 2005-13
Brian Krzanich 2013-18

The last two are the only one's without PhDs. In fact, BK has a BS from San Jose State. Otellini has an MBA.

www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-04/intel-ceo-list-is-said-to-eye-outsiders-in-break-with-tradition

View attachment 22281

I'm a big Sanjay fan so that would be my choice. Anyone internal to Intel would be more of the same. If only Intel had acquired NVIDIA and Jensen Huang instead of promoting BK like I suggested we would not be having this discussion. Intel would also still be the #1 semiconductor company in the world, absolutely.

Last edited:
According to Bloomberg:

Sanjay Jha
Anand Chandrasekher
Navin Shenoy
Renee James

Among these four names mentioned, only Sanjay Jha is truly an "outsider". Everyone else is either worked for Intel before or currently on Intel's payroll.

According to Bloomberg:

Sanjay Jha
Anand Chandrasekher
Navin Shenoy
Renee James

Is there any reason why you left out Murthy Renduchintala? I thought he was the front runner.

Personally, seeing how Sanjay turned around GF, and given all the problem Intel has with its Fab, I think he should be the ideal candidate as well.

My abosolute favourite would be Pat Gelsinger, but he has publicly declined already.

Is there any reason why you left out Murthy Renduchintala? I thought he was the front runner.
Personally, seeing how Sanjay turned around GF, and given all the problem Intel has with its Fab, I think he should be the ideal candidate as well.
My abosolute favourite would be Pat Gelsinger, but he has publicly declined already.

No, that was my mistake. From what I have heard Murthy is not the front runner though. Remember when he joined Intel with all of the hoopla? The leaked memo? He has been in the background for a while now which is not a good sign.

My guess is that Intel will go the safe route and promote from within. If they do I would not expect anything great just more of the same. Pat Gelsinger would be an excellent compromise of insider/outsider, maybe Intel can make him an offer he cannot refuse?

It really is disappointing to me that Intel did not have a candidate ready before firing BK. Just bad management in my opinion. Andy Bryant has got to go!

No, that was my mistake. From what I have heard Murthy is not the front runner though. Remember when he joined Intel with all of the hoopla? The leaked memo? He has been in the background for a while now which is not a good sign.

My guess is that Intel will go the safe route and promote from within. If they do I would not expect anything great just more of the same. Pat Gelsinger would be an excellent compromise of insider/outsider, maybe Intel can make him an offer he cannot refuse?

It really is disappointing to me that Intel did not have a candidate ready before firing BK. Just bad management in my opinion. Andy Bryant has got to go!

I totally agree with you on Andy Bryant. I fail to see what the man has done for Intel for ages. But I ask you: What is wrong with Murthy???

To me the man is an excellent combination of a former outsider (he became to understand INTC's business from different vantage points, and I am sure he was never subject to the NIH Syndrome) AND he has become an almost-insider by now.

What more can that stupid BOD ask for?

On top of that, I venture a guess that Murthy was the driving force behind Intel's newly achieved profitabiliy. I am sure the company had needed a lot of pruning and focusing, when Murthy joined them.

So why should he not be rewarded for all that?

I totally agree with you on Andy Bryant. I fail to see what the man has done for Intel for ages. But I ask you: What is wrong with Murthy???

To me the man is an excellent combination of a former outsider (he became to understand INTC's business from different vantage points, and I am sure he was never subject to the NIH Syndrome) AND he has become an almost-insider by now.

What more can that stupid BOD ask for?

On top of that, I venture a guess that Murthy was the driving force behind Intel's newly achieved profitabiliy. I am sure the company had needed a lot of pruning and focusing, when Murthy joined them.

So why should he not be rewarded for all that?

I agree, but I'm wondering if Intel is looking for a female CEO? Seems to be working well for AMD. Personally I think Sanjay Jha would be a great pick. He thinks outside the box and that is what Intel needs. My bet is an outsider will be the next Intel CEO, any takers?

Last edited:
I'm not sure Sanjay turned around GF in a positive way. It looks like he was pushed out of GF because of financial issues which is why Tom C had to come in and had to immediately take some very aggressive cost-cutting actions.

I think Sanjay did a good job for GF as a leader and visionary. He did the IBM acquisition which I thought was quite clever. Scott just posted a blog on GF's Pivot:

GLOBALFOUNDRIES Pivot Explained

I'm not sure GF would have ended any other way without a company like Apple behind them (TSMC) or a strong memory market funding their foundry business (Samsung).

Rumor has it that the new CEO has been chosen and that it will be announced next week along side their Q3 Results. Murmurings suggest Murthy Renduchintala has won the spot, Murthy isn't quite an Inteller but he's been there for a few years.

Back