Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/india-okays-15-billion-of-milestone-chip-plant-investments.19721/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

India Okays $15 Billion of Milestone Chip Plant Investments

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
- Tata’s facility set to be India’s first major chip factory
  • - India seeks to join ranks of big chip-producing countries
(Bloomberg) -- India’s government has approved $15.2 billion worth of investments in semiconductor fabrication plants, including a Tata Group proposal to build the country’s first major chipmaking facility.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s cabinet approved Tata’s plan to build an $11 billion site that can fabricate about 50,000 wafers per month, technology minister Ashwini Vaishnaw told reporters in New Delhi Thursday. The government also cleared Tata’s separate proposal for a $3 billion-plus chip assembly plant, and a packaging venture between Japan’s Renesas Electronics Corp. and the Murugappa Group’s CG Power and Industrial Solutions Ltd.

Signage for Tata Communications Ltd. is displayed atop of the company's headquarters as traffic signal stands in Mumbai, India, on Saturday, Nov. 5, 2016. Cyrus Mistry, the ousted chairman of India's biggest conglomerate, was replaced as Tata Sons chairman by his 78-year-old predecessor Ratan Tata at a board meeting on Oct. 24. Tata Sons said the conglomerate's board and Trustees of the Tata Trusts were concerned about a growing “trust deficit” with Mistry, which prompted the company to remove him.

Signage for Tata Communications Ltd. is displayed atop of the company's headquarters as traffic signal stands in Mumbai, India, on Saturday, Nov. 5, 2016. Cyrus Mistry, the ousted chairman of India's biggest conglomerate, was replaced as Tata Sons chairman by his 78-year-old predecessor Ratan Tata at a board meeting on Oct. 24. Tata Sons said the conglomerate's board and Trustees of the Tata Trusts were concerned about a growing “trust deficit” with Mistry, which prompted the company to remove him.© Bloomberg

While still merely blueprints, the approvals advance India’s semiconductor ambitions. Like a growing number of countries around the world, the Modi administration is keen to endorse and back the building of domestic chipmaking capacity, ensuring supply of the components needed for future technologies from AI to self-driving cars.

“We will start construction of this plant within 100 days,” the minister said during the briefing, referring to Tata’s fab.

India hopes to attract chip giants in much the same way incentives have encouraged Apple Inc. and its partners to make and sell iPhones in the country, a boost to its giant manufacturing sector. It’s offered to shoulder half the cost of any approved projects, up to an initial ceiling of $10 billion. The semiconductor fund has already helped US memory maker Micron Technology Inc. establish a $2.75 billion assembly facility in Gujarat.

The Tata conglomerate is expected to partner with Taiwan’s Powerchip Semiconductor Manufacturing Corp. for its project, though it has also held talks with United Microelectronics Corp. The new facility will produce so-called mature chips — using 40-nanometer or older technology — that are widely used in consumer electronics, automobiles, defense systems and aircrafts.

Progress! Better late than never? India is a semiconductor design powerhouse and 10% of SemiWiki's traffic. Why they are not more into manufacturing I do not know. It have not travelled India like I have Asia but the transformation China has made over the last 20 years should inspire India.

Progress! Better late than never? India is a semiconductor design powerhouse and 10% of SemiWiki's traffic. Why they are not more into manufacturing I do not know. It have not travelled India like I have Asia but the transformation China has made over the last 20 years should inspire India.
A former colleague of mine who moved back to Hyderabad after retirement tells me India's biggest challenge is infrastructure, especially WRT electrical power. He thinks they are at least a decade behind China, and claims he's being generous and optimistic. Perhaps some people here who have more direct knowledge of manufacturing issues will comment further.

A former colleague of mine who moved back to Hyderabad after retirement tells me India's biggest challenge is infrastructure, especially WRT electrical power. He thinks they are at least a decade behind China, and claims he's being generous and optimistic. Perhaps some people here who have more direct knowledge of manufacturing issues will comment further.

To me it is a chicken and egg thing. The semiconductor industry can bring many new things and clean water and power are certainly two of them. The areas of India I frequented were industrial but mostly business parks and Western hotels, not bad at all. Tourism is big in India and that requires power and water. I'm not an expert but I don't see the problem. Corrupt politicians is always a problem everywhere so I don't buy that excuse either.

The only problem I experienced with the semiconductor business in India was turnover. It was off the charts. Just about every time there were new faces when I visited. Taiwan was quite the opposite. Eastern Europe was event better. The only turnover I experienced there was when someone died.

- Tata’s facility set to be India’s first major chip factory
  • - India seeks to join ranks of big chip-producing countries
(Bloomberg) -- India’s government has approved $15.2 billion worth of investments in semiconductor fabrication plants, including a Tata Group proposal to build the country’s first major chipmaking facility.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s cabinet approved Tata’s plan to build an $11 billion site that can fabricate about 50,000 wafers per month, technology minister Ashwini Vaishnaw told reporters in New Delhi Thursday. The government also cleared Tata’s separate proposal for a $3 billion-plus chip assembly plant, and a packaging venture between Japan’s Renesas Electronics Corp. and the Murugappa Group’s CG Power and Industrial Solutions Ltd.

Signage for Tata Communications Ltd. is displayed atop of the company's headquarters as traffic signal stands in Mumbai, India, on Saturday, Nov. 5, 2016. Cyrus Mistry, the ousted chairman of India's biggest conglomerate, was replaced as Tata Sons chairman by his 78-year-old predecessor Ratan Tata at a board meeting on Oct. 24. Tata Sons said the conglomerate's board and Trustees of the Tata Trusts were concerned about a growing “trust deficit” with Mistry, which prompted the company to remove him.'s headquarters as traffic signal stands in Mumbai, India, on Saturday, Nov. 5, 2016. Cyrus Mistry, the ousted chairman of India's biggest conglomerate, was replaced as Tata Sons chairman by his 78-year-old predecessor Ratan Tata at a board meeting on Oct. 24. Tata Sons said the conglomerate's board and Trustees of the Tata Trusts were concerned about a growing “trust deficit” with Mistry, which prompted the company to remove him.

Signage for Tata Communications Ltd. is displayed atop of the company's headquarters as traffic signal stands in Mumbai, India, on Saturday, Nov. 5, 2016. Cyrus Mistry, the ousted chairman of India's biggest conglomerate, was replaced as Tata Sons chairman by his 78-year-old predecessor Ratan Tata at a board meeting on Oct. 24. Tata Sons said the conglomerate's board and Trustees of the Tata Trusts were concerned about a growing “trust deficit” with Mistry, which prompted the company to remove him.© Bloomberg

While still merely blueprints, the approvals advance India’s semiconductor ambitions. Like a growing number of countries around the world, the Modi administration is keen to endorse and back the building of domestic chipmaking capacity, ensuring supply of the components needed for future technologies from AI to self-driving cars.

“We will start construction of this plant within 100 days,” the minister said during the briefing, referring to Tata’s fab.

India hopes to attract chip giants in much the same way incentives have encouraged Apple Inc. and its partners to make and sell iPhones in the country, a boost to its giant manufacturing sector. It’s offered to shoulder half the cost of any approved projects, up to an initial ceiling of $10 billion. The semiconductor fund has already helped US memory maker Micron Technology Inc. establish a $2.75 billion assembly facility in Gujarat.

The Tata conglomerate is expected to partner with Taiwan’s Powerchip Semiconductor Manufacturing Corp. for its project, though it has also held talks with United Microelectronics Corp. The new facility will produce so-called mature chips — using 40-nanometer or older technology — that are widely used in consumer electronics, automobiles, defense systems and aircrafts.

TSMC 40nm node technology was released 16 years ago in 2008. Is it too much to spend $11 billion for a 40nm fab with 50,000 wafers monthly capacity?

To me it is a chicken and egg thing. The semiconductor industry can bring many new things and clean water and power are certainly two of them. The areas of India I frequented were industrial but mostly business parks and Western hotels, not bad at all. Tourism is big in India and that requires power and water. I'm not an expert but I don't see the problem. Corrupt politicians is always a problem everywhere so I don't buy that excuse either.

The only problem I experienced with the semiconductor business in India was turnover. It was off the charts. Just about every time there were new faces when I visited. Taiwan was quite the opposite. Eastern Europe was event better. The only turnover I experienced there was when someone died.

LInkedin maybe not a great barometer , but look like many Indian folks in Semicon get out and overseas once they are able.

I assume its for pay and conditions , so whilst IT/Software sectors.maybe pay equivalent pay outside of that they do not

I sent my friend a link to your post. He's typically a man of few words in email, and he didn't disappoint this morning. He responded just with this link:

Last edited:
TSMC 40nm node technology was released 16 years ago in 2008. Is it too much to spend $11 billion for a 40nm fab with 50,000 wafers monthly capacity?

From Tata Electronics' news release, it stated that this fab will produce 28nm, 40nm, 55nm, 90nm and 110nm related products. It's different from the MSN report. There are two interesting parts in the Tata's news release:

1. PSMC of Taiwan will provide technology and execution support for this new fab. There is no indication that this is a joint venture and PSMC will hold a certain percentage of equity in this new fab. It's more like a licensing and consulting relationship between them.

2. Although this is a good start, but by all common understanding that 28nm is not a "leading edge" node. PSMC doesn't use any leading edge node technology itself.

"Taiwan’s Powerchip Semiconductor Manufacturing Corporation (PSMC) will provide technology and execution support for the state-of-the-art greenfield facility in Gujarat to address the global semiconductor markets in the areas of automotive, computing, communications, and artificial intelligence"

"Emphasizing the significance of this strategic step, Dr Randhir Thakur, CEO & MD, Tata Electronics said, “This marks a beginning of a new era for India. Tata Electronics is proud to play a prominent role in strengthening the global semiconductor ecosystem. Our partnership with PSMC provides access to a broad technology portfolio in leading edge and mature nodes including 28nm, 40nm, 55nm, 90nm & 110nm and also collaboration for high volume manufacturing. We are confident that the upcoming Fab will support our ambitions of “Make in India, For the World”. We will be able to serve our global customers’ requirements for supply chain resilience and meet the growing domestic demand.”"

Tata Electronics news release: https://www.tata.com/newsroom/business/first-indian-fab-semiconductor-dholera

PSMC news release: https://www.powerchip.com/en-global/insights/press-releases/content/20240229

Probably infrastructure of everything except manpower and coding know how. It takes a lot of materials to run a fab. The good news for me is that they will most certainly need lots of chemical filters to keep that fab clean! :)

Probably infrastructure of everything except manpower and coding know how. It takes a lot of materials to run a fab. The good news for me is that they will most certainly need lots of chemical filters to keep that fab clean! :)

If they did a Buy India program like China did they could support a dozen fabs.

Do Indian Companies that currently use Chips of any ilk do any tapeout, or do they just get off the shelf stuff so to speak.

If so does anyone know where they go for Fabrication?

If they only get off the shelf stuff , how long is the transition usually to own design , tapeout and then have own end product?

Would this not.be going on now whilst they wait for local FAB ops?

I ask as I have only ever seen tapeout from one Indian company.

"Emphasizing the significance of this strategic step, Dr Randhir Thakur, CEO & MD, Tata Electronics said, “This marks a beginning of a new era for India. Tata Electronics is proud to play a prominent role in strengthening the global semiconductor ecosystem. Our partnership with PSMC provides access to a broad technology portfolio in leading edge and mature nodes including 28nm, 40nm, 55nm, 90nm & 110nm and also collaboration for high volume manufacturing. We are confident that the upcoming Fab will support our ambitions of “Make in India, For the World”. We will be able to serve our global customers’ requirements for supply chain resilience and meet the growing domestic demand.”"
Fascinating. Thakur was the first president of IFS.

Back