Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/here-are-musks-12-best-quotes-from-q2-2023-tesla-earnings-call.18408/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Here are Musk's 12 best quotes from Q2 2023 Tesla Earnings Call

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
1. "Demand is so far off the hook you can't even see the hook." (Musk was discussing Tesla's upcoming Cybertruck.)
2. "I don't have a crystal ball for the global economy. I'd really appreciate it if I could borrow that crystal ball. One day, it seems like the world economy is falling apart. And the next day, everything is fine. I don't know what the hell is going on, to be totally frank. I wish I did."
3. "For a lot of people, they're barely breaking even every month. In fact, if you look at the rise in credit-card debt, they're not breaking even every month. Credit-card debt is freaking scary."
4. "I really see a path to a 5x increase in the value of the company, maybe a 10x. But where things go along the way, the trials and tribulations and the mood of the markets, one cannot predict. So the old adage of buy and hold is right."
5. "I care a lot about the small shareholders, especially ones that have stuck with us through thick and thin. I love you guys. We can't control these macro shocks or the the manic-depressive nature of the stock market. So that's why I recommend against margin loans in times that are turbulent."
6. "Warren Buffett has a saying: Imagine you're living in your house and some crazy, manic-depressive guy comes and stands outside your house and yells property prices at you, and it's a different price every day, but the house is still the same house. So this is a tough market." (Musk was speaking about stock-market volatility.)
7. "Provided you're confident in a company's products or services, when the market panics, buy. And when the market is overly exuberant, you can sell. I'm not recommending you sell, but buy low, sell high."
8. "You see a lot of AI companies doing large language models (LLMs) and whatnot. And I'd say, 'If they're so great, why can't they make a self-driving car?' Because it's harder. That's why."
9. "We're using a lot of Nvidia hardware. We'll actually take it as fast as they'll deliver it to us. Frankly, if they could deliver us enough GPUs, we might not need Dojo. But they can't. They've got so many customers."
"By combining a Neuralink implant and a robotic arm or leg, we believe we can give amputees basically a cyborg body that is incredibly capable. The $6 million man in real life. But it won't cost $6 million — a $60,000 man."
11. "It's a game of pennies. It's like 'Game of Thrones' but pennies." (He was speaking about Tesla's cost-cutting efforts.)
"Now I know I'm the boy who cried FSD, but man, I think we'll be better than human by the end of this year. That's not to say we're approved by regulators, and that would be in the US because we've got to focus on one market first. I've been wrong in the past, I may be wrong this time." (Musk was discussing Tesla's efforts to perfect a full self-driving mode for its vehicles.)

markets.businessinsider.com

Elon Musk touched on Nvidia, Cybertruck, Warren Buffett, and the dangers of debt on Tesla's latest earnings call. Here's his 12 best quotes.

Reactions: VCT
I was very skeptical of self driving in 2014, but I am seeing a path now. The path requires massive amounts of data, massive amounts of commute, and even then I don’t think it will be full self driving but self driving on the majority of streets.

Having millions of its cars on the road is a massive advantage for Tesla, because all those vehicles are collecting the data required to train the models. The vehicle architecture also needs to be designed for self driving. I doubt any other company is in a position to do what Tesla is doing.

I was very skeptical of self driving in 2014, but I am seeing a path now. The path requires massive amounts of data, massive amounts of commute, and even then I don’t think it will be full self driving but self driving on the majority of streets.

Having millions of its cars on the road is a massive advantage for Tesla, because all those vehicles are collecting the data required to train the models. The vehicle architecture also needs to be designed for self driving. I doubt any other company is in a position to do what Tesla is doing.

Still skeptical. Would you walk in front of a driverless car? I have made this decision on multiple occasions and no I will not. There are millions of lines of code behind autonomous driving....

Still skeptical. Would you walk in front of a driverless cars? I have made this decision on multiple occasions and no I will not. There are millions of lines of code behind autonomous driving....
All based on pedestrians following the rules.
I dont believe you can have autonomous and "normal" vehicles on the roads at the same time

Still skeptical. Would you walk in front of a driverless cars? I have made this decision on multiple occasions and no I will not. There are millions of lines of code behind autonomous driving....
Tesla doesn't needs a full self driving car.

if Facebook can make billion from data it collected. Tesla can use this massive amount of data to create a better hardware, software or service?

Are you saying you walk in front of cars with human drivers? :)

Assuming you mean stopped driverless cars (or Tesla’s on FSD where the owners aren’t paying attention), chances are you’ve already done that without realizing if you walk around cities today.

I am skeptical for this decade, but I don’t see a reason FSD won’t eventually be possible / outperform humans. There are multiple paths to get there.

Driverless car is inevitable. The economic benefits and productivity is simply too overwhelming not to do it. It's just a matter of time. I am hopeful within 10 yrs we'd see 5-10% of the cars on the road be driverless and within 20 yrs >50%.

From a technical standpoint, it’s a matter of capturing enough labeled data to sufficiently train a neural net that can drive under the majority of conditions.

The technical challanges are:
1. Labelling the data
2. Ensuring safety in conditions not captured in the dataset

When someone drives a Tesla, they are labelling data in terms of the actions they take behind the wheel. But only the best drivers should be labelling data - luckily Tesla is also tracking measures of driver quality. Telsa is the only company with millions of real world drivers capturing actual data. Other companies are using primary simulated data which does not capture real world messiness.

For the second challenge, it’s a lot tougher. Neural networks are not completely deterministic in practice, so safety can’t be guaranteed. I think the approach some companies are taking is to have safety systems that override self driving mode.

I’m guessing Tesla is very close to having better than human driving under most conditions, including real world messy conditions. But I’m not sure they will have fully addressed safety. I think this will take a bit more time.

Tesla has some advantages from a liability regulatory standpoint, because they are also an insurance company. So they are better prepared to accept manufacturer liability vs most other companies. In the future instead of paying insurance premiums it’ll probably be part of the subscription cost of FSD.

I do not believe that FSD with us reading news in the back while the car drives will ever happen with the hodge-podge of street types, car types, rules, signs, mix of pedestrians, cyclists and cars as it is today. We need structured streets that allow limited changes, a constant speed and distance between vehicles and especially the inability to break rules. Think of it as a rail system without rails, or the vehicles in the Minority Report movie. As Count said: supervised driving on the majority of roads, yes. Perhaps in 5 years at the earliest. Elon is wrong again. :)

I do not believe that FSD with us reading news in the back while the car drives will ever happen with the hodge-podge of street types, car types, rules, signs, mix of pedestrians, cyclists and cars as it is today. We need structured streets that allow limited changes, a constant speed and distance between vehicles and especially the inability to break rules. Think of it as a rail system without rails, or the vehicles in the Minority Report movie. As Count said: supervised driving on the majority of roads, yes. Perhaps in 5 years at the earliest. Elon is wrong again. :)
Supervised driving on majority of streets I think within 1-2 years. We are already pretty close to this.

Full self driving, I agree. Only real way to get there is to overhaul roads to accommodate. Standardization of signage and driving rules is probably needed, or maybe smart signs that can send signals to self driving vehicles. Different vehicle types and detection of pedestrians I don't think is a problem. I'm optimistic that we can get there in less than 5 years, but yes Elon is probably optimistic. It's a very very hard problem. I think it's going to be one of those things where you are chipping away at the wall for a long time, eventually you start seeing cracks in the wall, and then after a little while longer the wall comes down all at once. I think we are seeing the first real cracks in the wall. Generative neural networks is one of those cracks.

Supervised driving on majority of streets I think within 1-2 years. We are already pretty close to this.
I agree.
Full self driving... It's a very very hard problem. I think it's going to be one of those things where you are chipping away at the wall for a long time, eventually you start seeing cracks in the wall, and then after a little while longer the wall comes down all at once.
Agree again. This is the ADAS strategy, and I think it's the most likely to win.

Back