[ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Can one country do it all?

soAsian

Huawei's 9000s chip "breakthrough" was hailed as the best thing ever out of China. It sparked many debates online.

some said China can do it all by itself because it can produce millions of engineers per year and China prints its own money. The Chinese have unlimited "resources" to create their own.

I believe not one country can do it all.

For example https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/10/business/south-korea-japan-chips-intl-hnk/index.html

Can China make the chemicals, equipment, software, and fab...all by itself?

I think in the 90s,Japan did it all by itself.

It's all about efficiency,on theory the most efficient way is everyone only does the part they are good at,or the part they have a comparative advantage. But I guess the world is leaning towards self sufficiency now,every country want to make chips inside their territory,rather than buy from somewhere else,even if that's a more expensive option.

Last edited:
yes, it can. the question is how fast?

Since EUV exists already, as many other equipment and materials in the world, how fast can Chinese firms replicate those things in China? If these things exist, it is possible to be build.

In the past, it was impossible because the door was wide open, discouraging any attempt to build advanced semiconductor ecosystem in China. Now that isn't a concern since the door has closed. And Chinese will figure out a way to get there. There're trustworthy names, like BYD and Huawei, that are vertically integrating with chip manufacturing and design. It's just a matter of time for Chinese firms to catch up.

Back