Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/arms-blowout-quarter-discussion-2024.19583/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Arm's Blowout Quarter Discussion 2024

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
Quarterly Highlights
• Revenues of $824 million, up 14% year-over-year, with record royalty revenue and strong growth in licensing revenue.
• Royalty revenue of $470 million, up 11% year-over-year was driven by the semiconductor industry recovery and the rapidly increasing penetration of Armv9-based chips, which typically command a higher royalty rate.
• Better than expected license revenue of $354 million, up 18% year-over-year, and strong bookings were due to strong demand for more advanced Arm CPUs as companies increase investment in AI across all end markets.
• Non-GAAP operating profit increased 17% year-over-year to $338 million resulting in a 41.0% non-GAAP operating margin.

ARM Blow Out Quarter 2024.jpg

There seem to be two surprises: China and a mystery end of quarter customer for a total of $140M uptick? And they guide up for next quarter?

Is AI really powering arm? arm powers TSMC. It really is looking like a growth year, absolutely.

There seem to be two surprises: China and a mystery end of quarter customer for a total of $140M uptick? And they guide up for next quarter?
It could be Google and Microsoft for cloud server CPUs. $140M is not a lot of money to those two. Arm cores are also in the IPU Intel sells to Google, and volume could be ramping up.
Is AI really powering arm? arm powers TSMC. It really is looking like a growth year, absolutely.
I'm having trouble believing it. There must be more edge business than we have visibility into.

Wasn't there a story about ARM's pre-IPO plans to start charging royalties 'á la Qualcomm' as a percentage on the final end equipment price rather than the actual chip containing the ARM IP price ? I remember hearing quite a lot about this, together with much speculation about how much licencee resistance this would generate.

Either way, I'm curious if this a factor. Or if there's some other one off accounting/revenue recognition effect here. It's certainly very strange that the IPO was made at about $64 and the current stock price is around $121 - almost double after today's 57% (at time of writing) bump. That was only 6 months ago.

Wasn't there a story about ARM's pre-IPO plans to start charging royalties 'á la Qualcomm' as a percentage on the final end equipment price rather than the actual chip containing the ARM IP price ? I remember hearing quite a lot about this, together with much speculation about how much licencee resistance this would generate.

Either way, I'm curious if this a factor. Or if there's some other one off accounting/revenue recognition effect here. It's certainly very strange that the IPO was made at about $64 and the current stock price is around $121 - almost double after today's 57% (at time of writing) bump. That was only 6 months ago.
How would that pricing plan look for cloud servers? They don't have a price, only a cost.

My curiosity has always been about Architecture licenses. How much they cost, do they have a unit volume factor, etc. Ampere has announced, for example, they are moving from Arm IP cores to designing their own cores.

I still find it difficult to get excited about the Arm business model. RISC-V is going to eat much of the embedded business, and cloud server CPUs are not really high volume chips, by mobile, handheld, and desktop standards.

A friend of mine and I were discussing this Arm forecast and stock price bump (it's down about 7% from yesterday's close as I type this), and he thinks this enthusiasm is related to Nvidia's attempted acquisition of Arm a while back. His view is that a combination of Nvidia's attempt and Arm stating that AI chip companies are interested in advanced Arm CPUs (which I assume means v9), means that Arm is now an AI bubble company, and hence the ridiculous valuation. I think this theory makes some sense.

Ampere has announced, for example, they are moving from Arm IP cores to designing their own cores.
They have little choice. Their prospective customers can license a full 64-core design direct from ARM, slap on some IO and memory chiplets, and presto! a server chip fit for a cloud. Where is Ampere's leverage without a superior core?

They have little choice. Their prospective customers can license a full 64-core design direct from ARM, slap on some IO and memory chiplets, and presto! a server chip fit for a cloud. Where is Ampere's leverage without a superior core?
I completely agree. I suspect Amazon's Graviton is derived from the Arm design you mention. But as we both know, designing a competitive core for the Arm instruction set is not easy. Since I know a lot of people who work there, I hope Ampere has what it takes.

A friend of mine and I were discussing this Arm forecast and stock price bump (it's down about 7% from yesterday's close as I type this), and he thinks this enthusiasm is related to Nvidia's attempted acquisition of Arm a while back. His view is that a combination of Nvidia's attempt and Arm stating that AI chip companies are interested in advanced Arm CPUs (which I assume means v9), means that Arm is now an AI bubble company, and hence the ridiculous valuation. I think this theory makes some sense.
It's also worth remembering just how small the free float is for ARM after the IPO - SoftBank still owns almost all the shares and most of the rest are likely held by the corporate investors (ARM's big licencees). It's a perfect scenario for share price volatility (up 55% late last week, down 18% yesterday). Almost as if that were the plan ...

I really do wonder just why investors (and regulators) put up with this sort of thing from tech companies. Alongside allowing founders like Mark Zuckerberg to hold onto majority control with a minority shareholding.

Back