Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/will-chip-size-and-stacking-replace-shrink.18836/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Will chip size and stacking replace shrink?

Arthur Hanson

As the ability to shrink semis comes to its physical limits, will chip size and stacking replace shrink or will new interfaces between chips become the next frontier? Is it possible, shrink might not be the best solution and that new and creative ways of applying current technologies start to be created. Is there a limit to creativity?

Intel calls its technologies beyond 1.8nm NEXT, NEXT+ and NEXT++ I wonder if they know what that will be, it will certainly be interesting to see where it goes. Years ago, I predicted that the physical limit with respect to line edge roughness, overlay etc. will be around the 3 nm node. I was wrong with that, but I still don't think that we will pass the 1 nm node. Then what?

Intel calls its technologies beyond 1.8nm NEXT, NEXT+ and NEXT++ I wonder if they know what that will be, it will certainly be interesting to see where it goes. Years ago, I predicted that the physical limit with respect to line edge roughness, overlay etc. will be around the 3 nm node. I was wrong with that, but I still don't think that we will pass the 1 nm node. Then what?

The industry will hit the need for mono 3D sooner or later, and it may well be before the node shrink road is completely exhausted.

Back