Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/what-memory-will-amazon-graviton-servers-use.15152/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

What memory will Amazon Graviton servers use?

Arthur Hanson

Will the Amazon Graviton servers use the advanced Micron memory and if not whose memory will they use and in what configuration? Any other thoughts about who will be the memory leader in the latest generation of servers, memory, and storage.

The render of the server rack they showed has 3 CPU sockets as well as standard DIMMs for the DRAM. They have support for DDR5 (only?), so I would assume they will support any commodity solution.
I would link to where I got the photo but I forget where that was (probably Twitter).

Attachments

• https___bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com_public_images_dba8722...jpeg
    https___bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com_public_images_dba8722...jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 121
what is meant here ? Any links to what Micron DRAM makes them more advanced than e.g. Samsung/Hynix ?
Amazon simply described it as DDR5-4800. It is unlikely that any vendor information will be disclosed. It appears to be 1 socket per channel allowing them to fit 3 server sockets side by side. That may also be preparation for the higher DDR5 speeds when prices are reasonable.

The memory interfaces are separate chiplets. That may allow them to pivot to DDR4 for some SKUs if it saves money. Or it may allow use of non-DRAM solutions at some point.

Amazon simply described it as DDR5-4800. It is unlikely that any vendor information will be disclosed. It appears to be 1 socket per channel allowing them to fit 3 server sockets side by side. That may also be preparation for the higher DDR5 speeds when prices are reasonable.

The memory interfaces are separate chiplets. That may allow them to pivot to DDR4 for some SKUs if it saves money. Or it may allow use of non-DRAM solutions at some point.

how does that answer my question ?

Will the Amazon Graviton servers use the advanced Micron memory and if not whose memory will they use and in what configuration? Any other thoughts about who will be the memory leader in the latest generation of servers, memory, and storage.
In a recent forum held in Taipei Taiwan, TSMC Chairman Mark Liu casually mentioned that Micron's memory technology has surpassed Samsung's. He did not elaborate what exactly he tried to point to.

There's a speculation that TSMC and Micron start having more collaboration to compete against Samsung. TSMC doesn't have a memory product and Micron doesn't do logic. They can help each other in the development of chiplets and in memory computing.

Last edited:
Back