Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/tsmc-widens-market-cap-gap-with-samsung-electronics.14290/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

TSMC Widens Market Cap Gap with Samsung Electronics

soAsian

"In the first quarter of 2021, Samsung Electronics' sales (19 trillion won) eclipsed that of TSMC (US$12.9 billion or 14.4 trillion won). However, TSMC's operating profit stood at US$5.36 billion (about six trillion won), nearly twice as high as Samsung Electronics' 3.37 trillion won. TSMC's share of the global foundry market stood at 54 percent in 2020, dwarfing Samsung Electronics’ 17 percent."

i wonder who is ordering from Samsung that eclipsed TSMC. I though it must be Qualcomm but then Qualcomm switch back to TSMC's 6nm.

The number one customer of TSMC is Apple.

True, Apple left Samsung for the iPhone 6 using TSMC 20nm and has been with TSMC ever since. AMD moving to TSMC was very big and now Intel using TSMC for 3nm is even bigger. I'm not sure if Intel will stay with TSMC or concentrate on internal fabs. It all depends on how Intel 7nm works out.

The thing about Samsung foundry is that it is dwarfed by Samsung memory revenues/profits. If not for memory no way would Samsung Electronics make it in the foundry business, absolutely. So who is really dwarfing who in the foundry business?

Back