Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/intel-appoints-stacy-smith-to-board-of-directors.19828/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Intel Appoints Stacy Smith to Board of Directors

hist78

"SANTA CLARA, Calif., March 13, 2024--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Intel Corporation today announced that Stacy Smith, executive chairman of Kioxia Corporation, formerly Toshiba Memory Corporation, and chair of Autodesk Inc., was appointed to Intel’s board of directors, effective immediately. Smith will serve as an independent director and join the board’s Audit & Finance Committee."

""Stacy’s deep understanding of the semiconductor industry, along with Intel’s history and strategy, will be a significant asset to the board as it guides the company’s transformation journey," said Frank D. Yeary, chairman of the Intel board. "In particular, Stacy’s expertise in finance and leading capital allocation strategies in the capital-intensive semiconductor industry will be additive to Intel’s board as the company continues its efforts to create a globally resilient semiconductor supply chain."

Smith, 61, spent nearly 30 years at Intel, serving in a variety of leadership roles. Prior to his retirement in 2018, he served as the group president of manufacturing, operations and sales, leading the company’s global Technology and Manufacturing Group and its worldwide sales organization. Prior to this, he spent more than a decade in finance leadership roles, including as chief financial officer. In addition, Smith held the role of chief information officer and, before that, was general manager of Intel Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA), where he was responsible for Intel sales and marketing for the EMEA region."

"SANTA CLARA, Calif., March 13, 2024--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Intel Corporation today announced that Stacy Smith, executive chairman of Kioxia Corporation, formerly Toshiba Memory Corporation, and chair of Autodesk Inc., was appointed to Intel’s board of directors, effective immediately. Smith will serve as an independent director and join the board’s Audit & Finance Committee."

""Stacy’s deep understanding of the semiconductor industry, along with Intel’s history and strategy, will be a significant asset to the board as it guides the company’s transformation journey," said Frank D. Yeary, chairman of the Intel board. "In particular, Stacy’s expertise in finance and leading capital allocation strategies in the capital-intensive semiconductor industry will be additive to Intel’s board as the company continues its efforts to create a globally resilient semiconductor supply chain."

Smith, 61, spent nearly 30 years at Intel, serving in a variety of leadership roles. Prior to his retirement in 2018, he served as the group president of manufacturing, operations and sales, leading the company’s global Technology and Manufacturing Group and its worldwide sales organization. Prior to this, he spent more than a decade in finance leadership roles, including as chief financial officer. In addition, Smith held the role of chief information officer and, before that, was general manager of Intel Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA), where he was responsible for Intel sales and marketing for the EMEA region."

Is he the Intel's "just in case" preparation if Pat Gelsinger needs to leave for whatever reasons?

Last edited:
Is he the Intel's "just in case" preparation if Pat Gelsinger needs to leave for whatever reason?
That’s interesting. Pat has a fairly similar resume just coming from the design side rather than TMG. The one thing he doesn’t have is prior CEO experience like Pat did.

Personally once Pat eventually retires I think Ann would be my pick for CEO, as I think she might go down as the next Craig Barrett. If I was a board member my only reservation would be if she is more valuable in her current role than as CEO.

That’s interesting. Pat has a fairly similar resume just coming from the design side rather than TMG. The one thing he doesn’t have is prior CEO experience like Pat did.

Personally once Pat eventually retires I think Ann would be my pick for CEO, as I think she might go down as the next Craig Barrett. If I was a board member my only reservation would be if she is more valuable in her current role than as CEO.

Compare to Pat and Stacy, Ann Kelleher's major issue will be throughout her professional career after receiving her PhD. degree, Intel is the only company she has ever worked for. A CEO of a multi-billion company needs to bring outside world (vision, idea, strategy, directions, connection, practice, etc.) to inside.

Compare to Pat and Stacy, Ann Kelleher's major issue will be throughout her professional career after receiving her PhD. degree, Intel is the only company she has ever worked for. A CEO of a multi-billion company needs to bring outside world (vision, idea, strategy, directions, connection, practice, etc.) to inside.
Just can't see it. For all her qualities, she seems too introverted for that sort of role and has - to my knowlege - no commercial/sales/business experience.

We have relatively recent experience here in over-promoting people from narrow operational (backroom) roles where they appeared to be quite successful to UK Prime Minister (I'm thinking of you Gordon Brown and Theresa May) - and it hasn't been good. Neither could sell anything or persuade people to follow them.

Yesterday's men. Pat's head still seems stuck in the past glory days of Intel (which he's always banging on about, along with Moore's Law). Gut instinct says this sort of thing is not the answer now.

Back