[XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Grahpene Lense Game Changer

Arthur Hanson

Graphene optical lens a billionth of a meter thick breaks the diffraction limit

The number of uses and changes this could bring in tooling and products literally opens up whole new fields and horizons that weren't even imaginable before. Definitely something to follow the development of and look for new opportunities. Comments and thoughts about were this could go wanted and should prove interesting from the semi community.

Last edited:
Not much use in semiconductor manufacturing, because of limitations:

"can resolve objects as small as 200 nanometers"

I agree that this technology could be useful in smart phones where a small profile lens is ideal for a camera.

Current iphone has 1.22u pixel. If somehow improved to 0.2u pixel, iphone will have 6x6x12m =432mega pixels camera. Following 4k2k, 8k4k, 16k8k, 32k16k, it would be two~three generations later in the future, 2030? Cool.

But it is not easy. Laser molding -> nano indent for cost reduction and uniformity. No idea how to control the process. Sometimes I doubt about whether Graphene is controllable or not.

Current iphone has 1.22u pixel. If somehow improved to 0.2u pixel, iphone will have 6x6x12m =432mega pixels camera. Following 4k2k, 8k4k, 16k8k, 32k16k, it would be two~three generations later in the future, 2030? Cool.

But it is not easy. Laser molding -> nano indent for cost reduction and uniformity. No idea how to control the process. Sometimes I doubt about whether Graphene is controllable or not.

For best low-noise performance you don't want to reduce the pixel size in your image sensor because that produces images with artifacts, instead you want to increase the pixel size. In the DSLR world they have managed to create image sensors that fit the 35mm format with large pixels, producing stunning photos, with faithful colors, lowest noise, low moire, and fewest artifacts.

This graphene lens technology only effects the primary lens, not the image sensor pixel size.

Smart Phone cameras simply don't need more pixels, instead they need:

• Faster lenses, down to f/2.8 for low-light photography
  • Lower noise, for realistic images without blotches in the shadows
  • An optical zoom lens, because the default wide-angle lens is horrible for people photos and portraits (because it's suited for landscape scenery)

Hi Daniel,

Fully agree. I use 5D mark III & some Zeiss lens and not willing to use cell phone for taking photos.

Resolution= lamda/ (2 * n * sin(theta)) = 400~700nm / 2*NA Consider high end immersion lens, NA ~1.5 - 1.6. So resolution ~ 130nm to 230nm. So little chance for them to compete.

I jumped to the CMOS image sensor concept, the micro lens on top of photo diodes.
2012-09-18-eetimes-jh-cmosis.jpg

The process for CMOS image sensor is in general quite old. The micro lens above is big for semiconductor devices. It is hard to scale that. (It is also difficult to scale the photo diode.)

With the graphene oxide above I thought there might be possibility for micro Fresnel lens application. So I propose to use nano imprint to make micro Fresnel lens with or without traditional micro lens. It brings margin for further scaling.

Do we need more pixels for smart phones? No. I haven't upgrade my cell phone for 4 years. Instead I prefer to buy more big lens.

On the other hand I think auto driving cars / drones and IOTs may need additional pixel sensors, for more information.

Back