Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/cloud-based-semiconductor-design-to-manufacturing-workflows.7773/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Cloud-based Semiconductor Design-To-Manufacturing Workflows

mramdas

A few years back, I had read some interesting articles on having a public cloud infrastructure that also supports chip design flows including shared EDA tool licences.

There was also this company Silicon Cloud International which seems was working in this same area. No news heard or seen recently

I am interested to know if there is any traction on this as I thought this would be a good business model for smaller companies as they dont have to maintain their own pool of EDA tool licences and the compute infrastructure.

thanks
Ramdas

Ramdas,

Yes, there have been many attempts at using the Cloud to distribute EDA tools, however for leading-edge SoC design teams their number one concern is Intellectual Property security, therefore the Cloud has been avoided because of the daily accounts of hacked cloud-based systems.

Verifast offers cloud-based systems for EDA tools, vEDAsity | Verifasttech

IBM tried to offer their EDA tools in the cloud, IBM Announces Cloud Service For Electronic Design Automation (EDA)

OneSpin Solutions has some formal tools in the cloud, OneSpin Solutions Offers Full Availability of Its Cloud Computing System After Successful Beta Program - OneSpin Solutions - making electronics reliable.

Amazon Web Services wants EDA tools to be served up in the cloud, AWS for Semiconductor and Electronics Design | Hsinchu, April 1

Private clouds installed internally to an SoC company have some slight chance of being used, because there the customer controls the security and the IP never leaves the building, so to speak.

Thanks Daniel for sharing this info. I believe a pay-per usage model will be very useful for smaller companies and even for training needs etc.

Yes, many prospective cloud-based EDA users expect to have lower cost of ownership, however the EDA companies do not want to "give away" their tools at low values.

Back