Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/powering-implants-by-radio-waves.10469/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Powering Implants by Radio Waves

Arthur Hanson

MIT has developed a way of powering implants by radio waves which if it can be commercialized should become a major driver of the market for a wide array of medical implants. With medical being our largest expenditure at about 18% of GDP and growing this should be a very large market for a whole range of medical semis and mems for the human and even farm animal bodies. This should help drive the market in EDA, semi equipment and fabrication with a very large market with a long runway. I also see wireless communication with body implanted devices using similar processes and even surgical micro robots, changing the world of surgery dramatically. The possibilities in combining this and other coming technologies truly have the potential to make us bionic people with many improvements over even a healthy body. At what point in sports will surgical enhancements or even standard ones to restore function like in and out eye surgery that restore eyesight to 20/20 and can even alter it beyond that? Even imagine implanted control systems to control equipment or a despot to control us. The possibilities to explore are endless and we should start laying some ground rules now. The in house systems like Alexia have already opened up a whole host of critical decisions to be made that will greatly impact the world as we know it. Imagine the government REQUIRES you to not to turn off your cell phone ever and have it on you at all times and if not, your medical implant disables you. Definitely a lot to think about with medical implants. Prisons could end up being your own body instead of a distant building. The financial impact this could have on many areas of the tech sector and social aspects are almost beyond the imagination.

Comments, thoughts and additions solicited and wanted

New MIT system wirelessly powers medical implants using radio waves

Last edited:
FYI,

Here's the MIT video, the research looks promising but it could be years before any application is launched:

[video=youtube;ZkLJagYt8U8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkLJagYt8U8[/video]

Dan, I recently had a conversation with a top scientist before I wrote this and he said powering devices remotely in the body is no problem and can easily is easily accomplished using current technology and has been possible for at least a few years. He mentioned attending a conference on this very subject. From our conversation we had, I think there are a few ways of accomplishing powering devices remotely. I like to do my homework.

Last edited:
[table] border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="width: 1296px"
|- style="height: 15.0pt"
| width="1296" style="height: 15.0pt; width: 972pt" | Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging
|-
[/table]

Back