[ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

InGaN red LED

Paul2

It seems they managed to get well past the sub-1% efficiencies for red on InGaN. That's way more than Porotech, Raxium, etc.

This is still way behind commercial AlInGaP red leds, but this now means that an InGaN RGB device is practically possible.

Last edited:
Red LEDs is the biggest materials problem for microleds. JBD uses AlInGaP, but they have to glue their LED layers.

but this now means that an InGaN RGB device is practically possible.
What are the implications here?

I thought we already had RGB LEDs; I remember Nichia's breakthroughs on blue LEDs in the 1990s, and blue LEDs were starting to appear in the distributor catalogs in the late 1990s, although they were expensive at the time. (I have a Digikey catalog from 1997 with two or three blue LED parts for $5 or $6 apiece, among hundreds of red/orange/yellow/green LEDs for $0.10 or $0.20; and a Mouser catalog from 2000 with a couple of LED parts in the $2 range)

Aside from the elements it is made out of, InGaN means.... ?

Reactions: VCT
Aside from the elements it is made out of, InGaN means.... ?

That's the most important part. It's now possible to make all RGB pixels on one InGaN wafer in one go.

Making composite devices with different individual LEDs is very uneconomical.

so this is the first material to have all RGB pixels on the same substrate? (I was thrown off by InGaN, that doesn't mean anything to me)

so this is the first material to have all RGB pixels on the same substrate? (I was thrown off by InGaN, that doesn't mean anything to me)

Their process makes it possible to put all of them on the same substrate, rather than mechanically transferring LEDs of different colours one by one.

Back