You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Recent content by hist78

1. H

TSMC Files Complaints Against GlobalFoundries in U.S., Germany and Singapore for Infringement of 25 Patents!

How do you come out this 12-month estimate? I think it's a bit too quick to resolve it both ways. Globalfoundries is probably eager to end this quicker but TSMC might not be in a hurry to end their counter-suits. Thanks.
  2. H

TSMC Files Complaints Against GlobalFoundries in U.S., Germany and Singapore for Infringement of 25 Patents!

I thought you "were" the actor in some of these kinds of movies not long ago? ;):(:rolleyes:
  3. H

GLOBALFOUNDRIES Files Patent Infringement Lawsuits

Not sure if GF even thought about the consequence of many counter-suits might be brought to the court by all those companies GF has sued, including TSMC, Qualcomm, Broadcom, Mediatek, Xilinx, Cisco, nVidia, Google, Apple, etc. Those defenders are not small companies who like to be messed...
  4. H

Good question. As long as the price is right, I think those patents will be more important in TSMC's mind (remember Google bought Motorola for its patents?). In terms of fabs, that's a big question and a big problem. I believe the local government's incentive was big part of several reasons...
  5. H

1. I think with 37,000 patents, TSMC will hit back on GF very hard in order to set an example and prevent any similar lawsuits in the future. 2. There is a possibility it's just a GF's tactic copied from the 1999 Digital vs Intel case. Abu Dhabi's Mubadala Investment Company (the owner of...
  6. H

It's like the Globalfoundries vs the World! :)
  7. H

I'm wondering if such patent lawsuit a common scenario among foundries? The only case I know right now is TSMC vs SMIC several years ago. But I believe that case is more related to stealing IPs by SMIC. My assumption is that major foundries more or less may use some production techniques in...
  8. H

There are 13 US patents and 3 German patents involved in this lawsuit. I did some search for those 13 US patents. The original patent assignee (the original company filed the patent application) is as follows: Globalfundries 7 IBM 5 AMD 1 It may partially explained why AMD is not...
  9. H

From the GF's announcement: “While semiconductor manufacturing has continued to shift to Asia, GF has bucked the trend by investing heavily in the American and European semiconductor industries, spending more than $15 billion dollars in the last decade in the U.S. and more than $6 billion in...
  10. H

Intel to Focus on Truth and Transparency!

The revised revised revised ~ schedule. Also, Bob Swan said: "Intel is internally emphasizing greater sharing of information between units. " That sounds very strange for a leader in the information technology industry. Is Intel in a much serious situation than we thought?
  11. H

Marvell to Acquire Avera Semi (GF ASIC)

I think the majority of the proceed, after paying portion of debt, will go to Mubadala Investment Company (the owner of GF).
  12. H

SemiWiki 2.0 is up

Wish all the best to you.
  13. H

Ang Lee's new film "Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk"

This new film was shot using 3D 4K 120 frames per second technology. Most films today only play at 24 frames per second. It's interesting to know that today there is no any theater in America can play this film in its highest quality format. If it works, it will greatly challenge the thinking...
  14. H

AMD to License X86 Technology to China Chip Venture

AMD to License X86 Technology to China Chip Joint Venture AMD to License Chip Technology to China Chip Venture - WSJ China Calling: AMD Forms Joint Venture for x86 Server SoCs in China I'm wondering if it's in conflict with the cross licensing deal between Intel and AMD. Also, even Intel may...
  15. H

PayPal Deploys ARM Servers in Data Centers

PayPal Deploys ARM Servers in Data Centers | Data Center Knowledge This morning, I turned on a HP Proliant server with two Xeon processors. Right away the lady next office came to make fun at me, she said: Did an airplane just take off? The heat generated form the Intel Xeon processors...