The Cadence Virtuoso Design System has been one of the premier Integrated Circuit design systems for many years and is used by most major semiconductor companies. While it is powerful and versatile, it is often not optimized for certain complex, repetitive and time-consuming layout design tasks.
The founder and president of SkillCAD, Pengwei Qian saw, that often layout tasks in Cadence required many mouse clicks for even simple tasks. And as the number of clicks increased, along with increased human interaction, the possibility of design errors increased. He felt that if both complex and tedious repetitive, layout tasks could be simplified and automated, not only would layout productivity be increased, but human errors, and costly design rework, would be greatly reduced. “Correct and Optimized by Construction” was the goal but without the expense of loss of control by the layout designer.
Originally containing a handful of commands to help with common layout tasks, SkillCAD has evolved into over 100 functions, including the powerful, patented V-Editor tools, metal routing tools that allow the designer to route one or fifty metal lines with equal ease, pin placing tools that allow the placement of hundreds of pins in a matter of seconds, and many other tools, that greatly improve a layout design team productivity.
What you will Learn in the webinar:
Whatever layout design approach is used, bottom-up, top-down, or any combination of approaches, the power and versatility of the SkillCAD tools will shorten layout cycle times.
- The powerful pin placement and modifying tools can take the placement of hundreds of pins, from hours to a matter of a few minutes.
- The many metal routing and bus routing tools, make routing and editing metal routes, easy and efficient by…
- Running wide power and ground metals and creating mesh ground metal planes with the slotted metal tools, is as easy as routing a single metal wire.
- The dummy fill and density checking tools, make generating matched dummy metals over critical circuit areas and quickly checking density percentages in circuit blocks, as easy as specifying the layers and identifying a circuit region.
In addition to these commonly used tools, SkillCAD also provides powerful tools for generating and editing guard rings around devices, circuit elements, and even entire circuit blocks.
- There are tools for generating shielding around sensitive metal signals, and even creating the complex twisted metal structures, with shielding, that are common for sensitive RF (Radio Frequency) transmission lines.
- SkillCAD also includes tools for measuring circuit data, comparison viewing of old versus new circuit data, viewing cross sections of MOS devices, and many other tools not mentioned here.
Founded in 2007 to enhance productivity to Cadence Virtuoso layout design flow. Cadence Virtuoso + SkillCad have become the industry standard layout environment for full custom analog, RF, and mixed-signal designs. Over 80% of the major analog and mixed signal (AMS) companies use SkillCad. SkillCad seamlessly integrates with Cadence Virtuoso Layout L, XL and GXL and supports IC5, IC6, IC12, IC18. SkillCad has been a Cadence Connection Partner since 2008.