Ultra Communications Inc. – A Samtec Company is seeking a Firmware Engineering COOP in our Vista, CA location. Please only apply if you are a student currently enrolled pursuing a bachelor’s degree in engineering with firmware or software emphasis or a related field at a local University within San Diego County.
Pay is $24-27.00 per hour, depending on education and experience level.
Co-ops are eligible to participate in student program tuition assistance and may also opt to participate in Samtec’s 401k plan.
UCI Software/Firmware Engineering Group is responsible for the design and development of microcontroller firmware used in fiber-optic transceivers.
Co-ops have the opportunity to develop skills in providing support for test/software related products and hardware, test related documentation, and support related to failure analysis including responsibility of data analysis and generating reports.
Ideal candidates are self-starters who demonstrate exemplary written and verbal communication skills. They excel in a dynamic environment and can problem solve, efficiently, creatively, and with fine attention to detail. Below is a list of preferred qualifications and skills:
- Student pursuing a bachelor’s degree in computer or electrical engineering or related field of study.
- Availability to work a minimum of 20 hours per week during regular business hours while maintaining a full-time course load.
- You must be available to commit to a minimum of 3 semesters.
- Co-ops are required to maintain a C grade or above in all courses to maintain status in the program.
- Applicants must be eligible to for any employer work in the U.S. without sponsorship.
“The responsibilities as defined are intended to serve as a general guideline for this position. Associates may be asked to perform additional tasks depending on strengths and capabilities.”
- Defining the problem, solving the problem, and communicating the problem
- Develop problem solving skills
- Develop an understanding of firmware requirements, development, testing, and validation
- Modify/enhance existing firmware
- Develop firmware for new and existing products
- Full time co-op: 8 AM to 5 PM, Monday – Friday during school breaks
- Part time co-op: Flexible but preferably in the 8 AM to 5 PM, Monday – Friday time frame while school is in session.
Equipment & Systems used:
- Simplicity Studio
- Atmel Studio
- Visual Studio
- Multimeter, oscilloscope, power supply, bit-error rate tester, optical power meter
- Using the above development environments
- Firmware development for microcontrollers
- Firmware test and validation
- Reading IC datasheets (ex. microcontrollers, transceiver ASICs)
- Fiber optic data transmission
- Experience writing firmware in C for microcontrollers
- Experience writing sketches for Arduino
- Experience breadboarding circuits
- Experience with embedded hardware (ex. flash memory, I2C devices, serial communication)
- Experience with basic electronic test equipment (ex. multimeter, oscilloscope, power supply)
- Familiarity with microcontroller architecture (ex. ARM, 8051, AVR)
- Familiarity with embedded compilers (ex. Keil, GCC)
- Familiarity with C#, Python, Matlab
- Familiarity with advanced test equipment (ex. bit-error rate tester, optical power meter)
SAMTEC, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating a diverse environment. All employment decisions at Samtec are based in business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, pregnancy or parental status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender identity/expression, marital status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable laws.
Apply for job
To view the job application please visit jobs.jobvite.com.