Who wants to live in Malta? A beautiful island in the eastern Mediterranean with wonderful food…wait, that’s the wrong Malta. I’m talking about the one in upstate New York where GlobalFoundries have their big fab 8 and also their technology development center (also known as fab 8.1).
So why would you want to live there? Let’s get one thing out of the way. The weather is cold for 3 months in winter. But if you can make winter your friend, there is lots around: the Adirondack mountains, lake Placid, lake George. The education is great if you have kids, especially compared to where you might be coming from. California is the worst in the country, Texas is 26th but New York is 5th best. And real estate is reasonable. $3-400K buys a beautiful home on a nice lot in a nice neighborhood.
GlobalFoundries are hiring, which is more than many companies are. Intel is talking about reducing headcount by 5000. They closed down Hudson. IBM closed Vermont and is cutting back in East Fishkill. Peregrine had a layoff.
Here is a summary of current opening:
- EQUIPMENT ENGINEERS: Etch, Litho, Diffusion, Thin Films, Cleans, CMP/Plating, Metrology
- PROCESS ENGINEERS: Etch, Litho, Diffusion, Thin Films, Cleans, CMP/Plating, Metrology
- TECHNICIANS: All Levels supporting all modules listed above
- FACILITIES ENGINEERS AND TECHNICIANS: Chemical/Slurry, Ultra Pure Water/Waste Water, Gas
- MANUFACTURING OPERATIONS: All areas
- YIELD & DEFECT ENGINEERS: Failure Analysis (Physical, Chemical, Electrical), Defect Inspection Process and Equipment Engineers, Test Engineers (Integration, Parametric, Quality, Applications)
- PROGRAM MANAGEMENT
- CUSTOMER ENGINEERING
You don’t even have to go to GlobalFoundries, they are coming to you. They have upcoming 3 day career fairs which lets them meet 100-150 people over the period. They have teams of engineers and HR people and can make offers on the spot. All the positions are in Malta, New York either at fab 8 or the truly leading edge technology development center.
The first one is April 23rd to 25th in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Then 28th to 29th in Chandler, Arizona. There is also one in Dresden on May 10th. Later in the year will be Portland, Oregon and Santa Clara, California.
Register for any of these career fairs here.Share this post via: