Our client in Auburn Hills, MI is looking for a Systems Engineer – Senior. This is a contract position.
What You Will Do:
The Battery System Safety engineer leads the product design and development activities related to system safety for various hybrid/electric vehicle battery systems. This position entails working closely with HV battery release engineers, HV battery suppliers, HV battery & vehicle packaging engineers to lead battery design sufficiency analysis and release activities related to system safety for mechanical, electrical, thermal and system. The engineer will be responsible to ensure that the HV battery pack designs meets all safety related best practices and regulatory requirements.
The engineer will develop battery system safety work plans for thermal propagation and abuse venting design concepts, and will define design guidelines, simulation cases, define/collect the input data and will work with simulation teams to perform the necessary simulations to develop robust battery design for thermal propagation. The engineer will also develop test cases to validate the design concepts and simulation models, and finally, the verification of the pack design at pack level test.
Additionally, the Engineer will be responsible for the creation and maintenance of documentation outlining best practices and D-FMEA (including preventive and detection controls) for HV battery system safety and understanding and tracking all domestic & international regulatory requirements related to battery safety. The Engineer will also conduct battery design reviews focusing on system safety & support component, subcomponent & vehicle safety testing. The Engineer will also work with product release teams to solve application issues during product design & testing.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited university or equivalent
- Minimum 8 years of experience with HV Battery Safety Analysis, Design and/or Product Release
- Experience with battery safety testing and/or analysis, including crush & thermal propagation
- Strong understanding of regulatory environment related to traction system batteries including all relevant international standards and developing activities
- Strong experience in design standards for system safety
- Understanding of unique safety requirements for High Voltage systems.
- Experience with automotive sensors including current, pressure, temperature as well as circuit protection devices including fuses, contactors, bussing
- DVP&R and DFMEA creation and execution experience
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Understanding of electrical engineering protocols and standards
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to interface with key customers, cross-functional teams, and all levels of personnel/management
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Able to manage multiple responsibilities
- Master of Science in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited university or equivalent
- Experience/Training in ISO 26262
- Experience/Training in FTA
- Experience with automotive crash testing & regulations
- Experience knowledge in mechanical impact simulations
- Strong knowledge and usage of high voltage lab devices
- Program management experience
- Supplier experience in design or analysis of safety critical components or systems
- Expertise with DFSS (Black Belt) during design, validation and/or launch of products
- Expertise in reactive problems solving (Shainin, Red X, etc.)