Summary: The Opto-Mechanical Design Engineer works within an interdisciplinary team bringing new fiber optic transceiver concepts to life. To be successful in this role, the candidate will be required to apply a wide range of previous experiences and take part in data-driven decision making. The candidate must enjoy working in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a sense of commitment and flexibility, be a team player, and act with a sense of urgency.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Carry out detailed optical design and simulation.
- Create solid model representations of optical components and sub-systems.
- Interact with micro-optical fabrication vendors to realize prototype designs.
- Carry out metrology on optical and mechanical components.
- Establish statistical acceptance criteria for micro-optical components.
- Work with mechanical engineering staff to realize detailed designs, structural/thermal simulations, and drawings.
- Support transfer of products to manufacturing.
- Use strong analytical skills to understand requirements, foresee technical challenges and contribute to the product definition.
- Create and edit product documentation, including component specifications, verification test plans, drawings, and change orders.
- Work with software, manufacturing, materials, electrical, and other cross-functional development teams to optimize designs for performance, reliability, and manufacturability.
- Participate in meetings and presentations with team members and sponsors and communicate ideas and engineering concepts to all disciplines.
- Manage internal and external resources to meet the design, build, test, and manufacturing criteria.
- 2+ years of experience dealing with optical and mechanical design
- Experience with optical design and modeling (Zemax), particularly dealing with micro-optics typically found in fiber optic communication components.
- Experience with the metrology and evaluation of opto-mechanical components.
- Familiarity with active and passive fiber-optic communication components and techniques.
- Familiarity with materials encountered in semiconductor and optical packaging applications, typically semiconductors, glasses, metals, plastics, solders, and adhesives.
- Familiarity with fabrication and assembly techniques, including machining, molding, additive manufacturing, flip-chip bonding, and active alignment.
- Experience with mechanical design in SolidWorks.
- Good artistic sensibility needed to create initial concept models and illustrations.
- Ability to read and interpret complex mechanical drawings, including GD&T.
- Ability to carry our wort-case and statistical tolerance analysis.
- Analytical, data driven, and comfortable with the application of statistical techniques.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Applies company policies and procedures to resolve routine issues
- Willingness to learn, then teach new technologies through doing and interfacing with technology leaders and designers
- Willingness to work with technicians, engineers, and management as a team to support development and production
- Ability to concurrently manage multiple projects and priorities assigned
- Ability to prioritize, coordinate, organize, and follow-up with clients, vendors, and team members to meet objectives
- Highly motivated, organized, and teachable
- BS required; MS or PhD preferred
Apply for job
To view the job application please visit jobs.jobvite.com.