About the Role
As an Arm Physical Design Methodology/CAD Engineer, you will be part of a team building innovative integration techniques that are both power efficient and high performance. Our team has a diverse set of engineers working across five design centers globally, servicing both internal and external partners around the world. The primary role combines broad physical design skills with extensive scripting and code development for our Power Grid Architect utility which supports all major EDA flows across a spectrum of foundry technologies. You will have the opportunity to develop new physical design techniques, building on our modular integration CAD framework. A key element of this role is interfacing directly with IP architects who build Arm design benchmarks as part of the physical design technology bring-up. You will have the opportunity to explore the latest process technologies, enhancing their strengths and mitigating weaknesses, while interacting with some of the industry’s leading experts in deep submicron circuit design, physical design, and design-for-manufacturing techniques. Arm provides 401(k) and insurance offerings for this full-time role.
Skills and Accountabilities
- Developing new and improved physical design techniques through innovative scripts, checkers, flows and other CAD based automation to simplify the design process.
- Support internal and external partners to quickly setup and complete their designs
- Ability to analyze and interpret physical design implementation results and identify issues with the physical IP, process technology, and/or EDA tool.
- Ability to learn about Arm core and graphical micro-architecture and how that relates to power, performance, area, and yield.
- Understand or have an ability to learn a wide variety of industry standard modeling formats including Liberty, Verilog, LEF,UPF, NDM, SPICE, and CDL.
- Collaborate with teams across Arm to perform root-cause analysis of issues and develop innovative solutions.
- A BS or MS degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or other relevant technical fields.
- 6+ years of relevant design experience (for BSEE)
- 4+ years of relevant design experience (for MSEE)
- Knowledge of industry standard software for synthesis, automated place and route, EM-IR, timing analysis, and their associated programming languages and algorithms
- Strong scripting skills (Perl, TCL or equivalent)
- Examples of innovative, algorithmic problem solving
- Be willing to improve flows through iteration and repeated attempts to solve difficult problems
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Strong understanding of the algorithms used by EDA tools
- Familiarity with layout at the transistor level
- An understanding of semiconductor fabrication technology
- Detailed understanding of the impact of intelligent power design on physical design and current techniques for power management