PQShield is a spinout from the University of Oxford specialising in post-quantum cryptography and cybersecurity. Our mission is to innovate and create solutions for the world’s most imminent security challenge: quantum computers. Our cryptosystems will ensure unparalleled internet security and data protection on a global scale across several industries – keeping us all safe as quantum computing technology develops.
Headquartered in Oxford, with additional teams across the UK and in the Netherlands, France, Belgium and the US, our quantum-secure cryptographic solutions work with companies’ legacy systems to protect devices and sensitive data now and for years to come. We are well-funded and VC backed, having recently closed our $20m series A funding round.
PQShield is a highly innovative deep tech company that considers our people to be our most important assets, and so our core value is to provide them with a work environment that promotes personal and professional growth. Hard work and loyalty are always met with acknowledgement, appreciation, and reward. We promote openness and flexibility, resulting in a friendly, family like environment.
Our corporate social responsibility centres around making sure our products are used in a constructive and positive way – we would like to think that our products will contribute to the greater good rather than be just another money-making commodity.
About the role
PQShield is looking for an Experienced Firmware Engineer to expand our Cryptographic Firmware IP team. Candidates should hold a degree or PhD in Computer Science\Electronics\Cryptography or equivalent. We hope that you have at least 5 years of experience, but also an open, research-oriented mindset.
The company is not too old, so you would be directly working with the founders and inventors of this deep tech start-up. However, the technology is already a couple of years in the making, its feasibility having been established, funding secured, and it has a clear path to market. This is a great opportunity to make career progress and to get a head start in a rapidly expanding segment of the semiconductor industry (Post-Quantum Cryptography and RISC-V).
Our IP components come together as a RISC-V MCU based Sub-system with advanced (post-quantum) cryptography algorithm support and security features.
What you’ll be doing
- Implementation and optimization of secure control firmware for a hardware-software co-design system.
- Integration with cryptographic system and application APIs: E.g., GlobalPlatform, ARM Platform Security Architecture, Linux kernel drivers.
- Security code review, static and dynamic code analysis, model checking of the firmware.
- Collaborate with internal Hardware\Software teams and customers on security requirements and functional features.
- PhD\Degree or equivalent in Computer Science\Electronics\Cryptography or other related discipline
- Embedded programming in C , Assembler or Rust (primarily ARM, RISC-V).
- Understanding of hardware/software interfaces; buses, operating system interfaces.
- Knowledge of Cryptographic Algorithms and Protocols, Comfortable with the Mathematics of Cryptography.
- Strong ability to interpret results and resolve problems
Nice to have
- Experience with high-assurance programming techniques: vulnerability testing and code review, static and dynamic code analysis tools, formal methods (e.g. bounded model checking of firmware).
- Exposure to modern cryptography: Post-Quantum cryptography, side-channel and implementation attacks, countermeasures, and security testing processes.
- Microprocessor \ SoC architecture, ISA design
- Knowledge of Industry standard SoC Security Architectures
- Tamper resistance, Side-Channel Security Countermeasures
- Secure elements, Smart Cards, FIPS 140, Common Criteria
What we can offer you
- Competitive salary.
- EMI share option scheme.
- Flexible & remote working, and a working from home budget.
- Private health insurance for yourself and your family.
- 25 days annual leave (plus bank holidays).
- 50% gym membership discount.
- The chance to work with a really nice, smart and friendly team!
Apply for job
To view the job application please visit pqshield.com.