UK or Europe Based with Remote Working Option
Formed as a spinout of the University of Oxford by cryptography researchers and specialists, PQShield has unrivalled domain expertise in the design and implementation of quantum-resistant cryptography for software and hardware applications.
PQShield is a major contributing participant to the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Post-Quantum Standardisation Process.
At PQShield, we help customers transition their product lines from legacy RSA and Elliptic Curve cryptography to quantum-secure standards by offering ready-made and tailored IP for secure elements, IoT firmware, PKI and server technologies, and end-user applications.
Our corporate social responsibility centres around making sure our products are used in a constructive and positive way – we would like to think that our products will contribute to the greater good rather than be just another money-making commodity.
About the role
PQShield is looking for an experienced Firmware Engineer to expand our Cryptographic Firmware IP team. Candidates should hold a degree or Phd in Computer Science/Electronics/Cryptography or equivalent. We hope that you have at least 5 years of experience, but also an open, research-oriented mindset.
As we’re in the early stages of development and growth, you would be directly working with the founders and inventors of this deep tech start-up. However, the technology is already a couple of years in the making, its feasibility having been established, funding secured, and it has a clear path to market. This is a great opportunity to make career progress and to get a head start in a rapidly expanding segment of the semiconductor industry (Post-Quantum Cryptography and RISC-V).
Our IP components come together as a RISC-V MCU based Sub-system with advanced (post-quantum) cryptography algorithm support and security features.
What you’ll be doing
- Implementation and optimization of secure control firmware for a hardware-software co-design system.
- Integration with cryptographic system and application APIs: E.g., GlobalPlatform, ARM Platform Security Architecture, Linux kernel drivers.
- Security code review, static and dynamic code analysis, model checking of the firmware.
- Collaborate with internal Hardware/Software teams and customers on security requirements and functional features.
- Phd/Degree or equivalent in Computer Science/Electronics/Cryptography or other related discipline
- Embedded programming in C, Assembler or Rust (primarily ARM, RISC-V).
- Understanding of hardware/software interfaces; buses, operating system interfaces.
- Knowledge of Cryptographic Algorithms and Protocols, Comfortable with the Mathematics of Cryptography.
- Strong ability to interpret results and resolve problems
Nice to have
- Experience with high-assurance programming techniques: vulnerability testing and code review, static and dynamic code analysis tools, formal methods (e.g. bounded model checking of firmware).
- Exposure to modern cryptography: Post-Quantum cryptography, side-channel and implementation attacks, countermeasures, and security testing processes.
- Microprocessor / SoC architecture, ISA design
- Knowledge of Industry standard SoC Security Architectures
- Tamper resistance, Side-Channel Security Countermeasures
- Secure elements, Smart Cards, FIPS 140, Common Criteria
What we can offer you
- Competitive salary.
- EMI share option scheme.
- Flexible & remote working, and a working from home budget.
- Private health insurance for yourself and your family.
- 25 days annual leave (plus bank holidays).
- 50% gym membership discount.
- The chance to work with a really nice, smart and friendly team!
PQShield is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We’re passionate about talent and proud to foster an inclusive environment; all applicants will be considered regardless of their gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, and age.
Apply for job
To view the job application please visit pqshield.com.