Ultra Communications Inc. – A Samtec Company is seeking an Engineering Co-op in our Vista, CA location. Please only apply if you are a student currently enrolled and pursuing a bachelor’s degree in engineering or a related field at a local University in San Diego County.
The schedule would be a minimum of twenty hours per week during school. Hours may vary but are flexible, ideally support is needed from M-F 8AM – 6PM. Pay is $24-27.00 per hour, depending on education and experience level. Co-ops are eligible to participate in student program tuition assistance and may also opt to participate in Samtec’s 401k plan.
UCI Software Development Engineers group is responsible for all software that executes internal laser software coding for our optical transceivers. Co-ops have the opportunity to develop skills in statistical data analysis, imaging systems including scanning electron microscopy, microelectronics manufacturing processes, and failure root cause analysis.
Ideal candidates are self-starters who demonstrate exemplary written and verbal communication skills. They excel in a dynamic environment and can problem solve, efficiently, creatively, and with fine attention to detail. Below is a list of preferred qualifications and skills:
- Student pursuing a bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field.
- Availability to work a minimum of 20 hours per week during regular business hours while maintaining a full-time course load.
- You must be available to commit to a minimum of 3 semesters.
- Co-ops are required to maintain a C grade or above in all courses to maintain status in the program.
- Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S.
“The responsibilities as defined are intended to serve as a general guideline for this position. Associates may be asked to perform additional tasks depending on strengths and capabilities.”
Software group is responsible for the design and development of software/firmware used in transceivers, test stands, PC applications.
- Defining the problem, solving the problem, and communicating the problem
- Develop problem solving skills
- Develop an understanding of software requirements, development, testing and validation.
- Modify/enhance existing software.
- Develop software for new and existing standard products
- Develop or extend test software
- Learn to control hardware via software (ex. test equipment)
- Full time co-op: 8 AM to 5 PM, Monday – Friday during school breaks
- Part time co-op: Flexible but preferably in the 8 AM to 5 PM, Monday – Friday time frame
Equipment & Systems used:
- Visual Studio, C#
- NuEclipse (Eclipse customized by Nuvoton), C
- Simplicity Studio (Eclipse customized by Silicon Labs), C
- Multimeter, oscilloscope, bit-error rate tester, optical power meter.
- Using above software.
- Firmware development for microcontrollers.
- Software test.
- Reading IC datasheets (ex. microcontrollers, transceiver ASICs).
- Fiber optic data transmission.
- Experience writing programs in C, C#, Matlab
- Familiarity with microcontrollers (ex. ARM, 8051)
- Experience with basic electronic test equipment (ex. multimeter, oscilloscope)
- Familiarity with advanced test equipment (bit-error rate tester).
Apply for job
To view the job application please visit jobs.jobvite.com.