Spot is a fast-paced startup that operates within NetApp and enjoys all perks & benefits of a large-scale organization while maintaining the startup culture, mentality, and pace. By continuously optimizing cloud infrastructure to always be highly available and for the lowest possible cost, we revolutionize the way businesses manage their cloud. With the recent acquisition of CloudCheckr, Spot by Netapp’s footprint now extends into pure-play cloud management by adding cloud billing analytics and cost management capability. This is an incredible chance to get in on the ground floor of an exciting high growth business unit, which combines the best of a startup environment with the resources of a public company.
The Software Quality Engineer position in the Engineering team will be contributing to software quality design and testing processes, and working to build, implement and improve those processes (preferably through automation wherever possible). This position will be focused on user interface testing – leveraging modern test tools, Python (or similar) and native cloud infrastructure.
- Be involved in establishing, developing, maintaining and enforcing best quality processes and procedures within and across scrum teams.
- Work with DevOps, Architects and others in Quality Engineering to create world-class automated test suites
- Develop, deliver and maintain automation components in Python, integrating with modern automation tools, such as: Jenkins, Robot Frameworks, Bamboo, SonarCloud, Jest, Yarn, Cake, Docker, etc
- Advocate for opportunities to test early and/or automate “fail fast” capabilities
- Collaborate closely with scrum teams to maintain and improve team velocity
- Contribute to story design and bug-fix discussions, with an eye toward testability
- Implement new technologies and techniques and adapt to progressively improving SDLC requirements.
- Contribute to technology decisions throughout the development life-cycle
- Measure and report out on software quality through bug tracking, environment rating and coverage metrics.
- Execute manual tests when automation is not possible.
- Additional duties and projects as assigned by management.
- Be a quality evangelist across cross-functional, agile teams
- Learn and grow by taking on challenges and collaborating on solutions
- Drive innovation, service our employees, and treat everyone fairly and respectfully
- Enable and embrace change with a positive, proactive, leadership attitude
- Work independently in a fast-paced, dynamic startup environment
- Be comfortable navigating ambiguity
- Excel in a collaborative environment and be a bridge between cross-functional teams
- Be self-motivated with an entrepreneurial spirit
- 4-year degree in a computing field (or equivalent experience), proving a solid foundation in modern software development practices, languages and paradigms.
- 7-10+ years of quality engineering experience
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting ability
- Prior experience testing user interfaces on the web
- Willingness to be a strong and vocal advocate for quality
- Deep understanding of code practices that help drive quality, reusability, and maintainability
- Passion for the agile mindset and understanding of agile practices (scrum and/or kanban)
- Knowledge of and/or a demonstrated ability to come up to speed on our technology stack
- Experience with or desire to learn the Atlassian stack (or analogous tools) including: Jira, Confluence, BitBucket
- Knowledge of software design patterns and anti-patterns
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work and interact with different personalities
- High attention to detail and accuracy despite deadline pressures
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills with ability to work on many tasks concurrently