Summary: The Opto-Mechanical Design Engineer works within an interdisciplinary team bringing new fiber optic transceiver concepts to life. To be successful in this role, the candidate will be required to apply a wide range of previous experiences and take part in data-driven decision making. The candidate must enjoy working in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a sense of commitment and flexibility, be a team player, and act with a sense of urgency.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Carry out detailed optical design and simulation.
- Create solid model representations of optical components and sub-systems.
- Interact with micro-optical fabrication vendors to realize prototype designs.
- Carry out metrology on optical and mechanical components.
- Establish statistical acceptance criteria for micro-optical components.
- Work with mechanical engineering staff to realize detailed designs, structural/thermal simulations, and drawings.
- Support transfer of products to manufacturing.
- Use strong analytical skills to understand requirements, foresee technical challenges and contribute to the product definition.
- Create and edit product documentation, including component specifications, verification test plans, drawings, and change orders.
- Work with software, manufacturing, materials, electrical, and other cross-functional development teams to optimize designs for performance, reliability, and manufacturability.
- Participate in meetings and presentations with team members and sponsors and communicate ideas and engineering concepts to all disciplines.
- Manage internal and external resources to meet the design, build, test, and manufacturing criteria.
- 2+ years of experience dealing with optical and mechanical design
- Experience with optical design and modeling (Zemax), particularly dealing with micro-optics typically found in fiber optic communication components.
- Experience with the metrology and evaluation of opto-mechanical components.
- Familiarity with active and passive fiber-optic communication components and techniques.
- Familiarity with materials encountered in semiconductor and optical packaging applications, typically semiconductors, glasses, metals, plastics, solders, and adhesives.
- Familiarity with fabrication and assembly techniques, including machining, molding, additive manufacturing, flip-chip bonding, and active alignment.
- Experience with mechanical design in SolidWorks.
- Good artistic sensibility needed to create initial concept models and illustrations.
- Ability to read and interpret complex mechanical drawings, including GD&T.
- Ability to carry our wort-case and statistical tolerance analysis.
- Analytical, data driven, and comfortable with the application of statistical techniques.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Applies company policies and procedures to resolve routine issues
- Willingness to learn, then teach new technologies through doing and interfacing with technology leaders and designers
- Willingness to work with technicians, engineers, and management as a team to support development and production
- Ability to concurrently manage multiple projects and priorities assigned
- Ability to prioritize, coordinate, organize, and follow-up with clients, vendors, and team members to meet objectives
- Highly motivated, organized, and teachable
- BS required; MS or PhD preferred
SAMTEC, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating a diverse environment. All employment decisions at Samtec are based in business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, pregnancy or parental status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender identity/expression, marital status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable laws.
Apply for job
To view the job application please visit jobs.jobvite.com.