- Our TGV Paste Scientist will be responsible Samtec is searching for a thick film material scientist in our Glass Core Technology business supporting conductive paste formulation projects.
- We are seeking a highly motivated and creative individual with a strong scientific background and hands-on experience in metallurgy, thick film pastes, and sintering for implementing such pastes.
- The person in this role will be responsible for developing and testing new formulations as well as devising application-specific test vehicles to validate that key requirements are met.
- In addition, this candidate will be responsible for performing research to design innovative formulation concepts in-line with customer’s requirements for sintering pastes, run tests and studies.
- Develop thorough understanding of paste materials, customer requirements, and support our R&D programs in developing new products to create profitable growth for Samtec’s Glass Core Technology business platform.
- Develop new material formulations and support various R&D projects, run experiments, and evaluate results.
- Contribute to the generation of patents.
- Contribute to the evaluation of competitor landscape.
- Work independently on the design, execution, and interpretation of experimental results.
- Maintain accurate and timely records of experimental designs, assay development, experimental results, and data analysis.
- Support strategy for optimization of material development as needed.
- Following up on issues impacting product (e.g., deviation, SPC, etc.).
- Optimizing and testing processes.
- Monitoring, analyzing, and addressing SPC issues.
- Proven time management, organization, and prioritization skills.
- Proven ability to communicate and present effectively.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Strong analytical skills; ability to analyze, troubleshoot and overcome technical hurdles independently and methodically with minimal guidance.
- Significant understanding of the electronics industry, and specific experience in this area is particularly desirable.
- Understanding of Design of Experiments methodologies, and experience analyzing data using statistical analysis tools.
- Detail-oriented with good time management skills.
- Ability to stay proactive and cooperative working in a small team environment.
- The ability to communicate fluently in English is essential.
- Strong presentation and written and verbal communication skills
- Effective computer skills in Microsoft Office suite and Outlook are preferred.
- Ability to apply fundamental theories in real engineering problem solving.
“The responsibilities as defined are intended to serve as a general guideline for this position. Associates may be asked to perform additional tasks depending on strengths and capabilities.”
- Hands-on experience in sintering technologies and formulation.
- Must be able to work on assigned projects independently and to complete projects of high quality in a timely manner.
- Ability to understand inline process monitors.
- Fundamental understanding of standard metrology, inspection (including 3D X-Ray), and failure analysis methods and their applications.
- Demonstrated experience with continuous improvement in yield, throughput, and cost reduction, preferably in a lean manufacturing environment.
- Be detail-oriented and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Be a highly-motivated, team-player with a positive attitude who is also excited about learning new skills and assisting with various projects and assignments as necessary.
- Working knowledge and understanding of, MSDS, lock-out/tag-out, and OSHA requirements.
- Hands-on approach to development work and technical problem solving.
- PhD in Chemistry, Metallurgy or Materials Science with 0-5 years of experience in an appropriate technical or scientific discipline; or BS in Chemistry, Metallurgy or Materials Science with 10 years of experience in electronic packaging.