PQShield is a spinout from the University of Oxford specialising in post-quantum cryptography and cybersecurity. Our mission is to innovate and create solutions for the world’s most imminent security challenge: quantum computers. Our cryptosystems will ensure unparalleled internet security and data protection on a global scale across several industries – keeping us all safe as quantum computing technology develops.
Headquartered in Oxford, with additional teams across the UK and in the Netherlands, France, Belgium and the US, our quantum-secure cryptographic solutions work with companies’ legacy systems to protect devices and sensitive data now and for years to come. We are well-funded and VC backed, having recently closed our $20m series A funding round.
PQShield is a highly innovative deep tech company that considers our people to be our most important assets, and so our core value is to provide them with a work environment that promotes personal and professional growth. Hard work and loyalty are always met with acknowledgement, appreciation, and reward. We promote openness and flexibility, resulting in a friendly, family like environment.
Our corporate social responsibility centres around making sure our products are used in a constructive and positive way – we would like to think that our products will contribute to the greater good rather than be just another money-making commodity.
About the role
PQShield is looking for a Software Security Engineer to expand our integration team. Candidates should hold a degree or PhD in Computer Science\Cryptography or equivalent. We hope that you have at least 5 years of experience, but also an open research-oriented mindset.
We are looking for a candidate with strong systems programming skills, who has a background in designing and developing secure solutions, and with experience of the full software development life cycle. While a significant portion of our business is in the development of cryptography, implementing cryptographic algorithms, while beneficial, is not a requirement. Rather, you have some experience in using and integrating cryptography in the context of a larger application.
Technologies used by the integration team at PQShield include: C, Rust, strongly typed languages such as Go, Docker, as well as software and standards such as OpenSSL, PKCS#11, GlobalPlatform.
As PQShield is an early stage company, you’d be directly working with the founders and inventors of this deep tech start-up. However, the technology is already a couple of years in the making, its feasibility having been established, funding secured, and it has a clear path to market. This is a great opportunity to make career progress and to get a head start in a rapidly expanding segment of the security industry.
What you’ll be doing
- Supporting the integration of PQShield’s cryptographic libraries and toolkits with higher-level applications and systems.
- Security code review, static and dynamic code analysis.
- Collaborate with internal software/hardware teams and customers on security requirements and functional features.
- Strong background in systems programming —primarily in C.
- Broad understanding of information security and its intersection with cryptography. For example, experience one or more of the following areas:
- Communications protocols (e.g. TLS and VPNs);
- Public key infrastructure;
- Key management;
- Platform security (e.g. HSMs, Trusted Execution Environments);
- Software update;
- User/service authentication.
- Strong ability to interpret results and resolve problems
- Ability to quickly adapt to new technologies, languages and systems
Nice to have
- Exposure to modern cryptography: post-quantum cryptography, cryptographic protocols, and security testing processes
- Experience of developing and shipping software in Java, Objective-C and/or Swift
- Experience with techniques for developing secure software: vulnerability testing and code review, static and dynamic code analysis tools, formal methods
What we can offer you
- Competitive salary.
- EMI share option scheme.
- Flexible & remote working, and a working from home budget.
- Private health insurance for yourself and your family.
- 25 days annual leave (plus bank holidays).
- 50% gym membership discount.
- The chance to work with a really nice, smart and friendly team!
If you enjoy working as part of a technology company, value the security of our daily digital lives, and love solving hard problems – then we’d love to hear from you.
PQShield is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We’re passionate about talent and proud to foster an inclusive environment; all applicants will be considered regardless of their gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, and age.
Apply for job
To view the job application please visit pqshield.com.